Sign in to follow this  
Steak&Ale

New Supporters

This has probably been mentioned before, if so I apologise, but I''ve been wondering... "How do you explain our amazing level of support?" Considering the last few seasons lack of success we still filled the ground on the opening day against Col U. We are averaging better attendences than a lot of clubs in much higher league places than us. I know that we have a large area to draw fans from but we haven''t always (going back 10 or 20 years) had as many fans in the ground. Is it something to do with bringing some mates to the game who wouldn''t have come unless they were press-ganged into it. I just wondered if anyone else has brought people to the game for the first time who now come regularly?

I think that geographical catchment has a lot to do with it. If you

live in Manchester, Birmingham, London etc then there are probably

several clubs within easy distance you could watch.There really

is no other team to speak of in Norfolk (And Suffolk in my opinion) so

its watch Norwich or some tinpot non league team.I think credit

has to go to the club as well for the way they attract younger

supporters in, they are tomorrows season ticket holders.Mind

you, why our attendances are so high, considering our decline and

fortunes and teh credit crunch really does defy reason sometimes.

Value for money, my season tickets for my kids, both under 12 are circa £1 per game!!

I couldnt go and leave them at home with my wife but the club makes it affordable for me to take them!

I know this is a slightly biased response, but we are generally well supported beacause we have a great club. In financial trouble we may be , however you feel about the board or staff at the club , at the end of the day , the whole macthday experience home or away is a great one. Kids can come along and parents are confident to bring them along. In my experience , I live in gloucestershire and have always managed to see on average 5 games at home and 15-20 away every season with the exception of promotion seasons and premier league , as tickets are scarce. This year tickets are not so much a problem and have found that many supporters in the same position as me , e.g would watch about the same number of games as me have started to come back and give their support. I imagine that this will end shortly as local fans will start to travel more when /if we are challenging near the end of the season and this will reduce my chances of getting tickets, Home and Away.

I think we have a great club and I think the club should think themselves very lucky that they have such great support. OTBC

We''ve a massive catchment area and no other major clubs near-by. We''ve something like 400,000 supporters in total and we''re the 15th best supported club in the country, in the last report I saw (about 1 or 2 ago).

[quote user="morty"]I think that geographical catchment has a lot to do with it. If you live in Manchester, Birmingham, London etc then there are probably several clubs within easy distance you could watch.

There really is no other team to speak of in Norfolk (And Suffolk in my opinion) so its watch Norwich or some tinpot non league team.

I think credit has to go to the club as well for the way they attract younger supporters in, they are tomorrows season ticket holders.

Mind you, why our attendances are so high, considering our decline and fortunes and teh credit crunch really does defy reason sometimes.[/quote]

No - the option in East Anglia is watch Norwich or a tinpot Championship team.....

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Nothing else to do in Norwich apart from see how many people you can spit on from the 3rd floor of Castle Mall.

[/quote]

Was that you Chopsy?  I thought someone was having a wee over the balcony....it was obviously your copious dribble [:D]

I think Huckerby was part of the 1st big impact, when we got him on loan I suddenly found it difficult to buy casual tickets for games. I''d never had a season ticket until this time, but went regularly for the previous 20 odd years always being able to buy a ticket.

This prompted me to get a half season ticket. Once I had bought ours it seemed natural to always keep them, it was easier than before.

Then obviously promotion meant a greater demand and didn''t we have something like 2,000 fans on a waiting list for season tickets?

The club made the pricing affordable comparing favourably to other teams, and with good rates for yougsters, early renewing reduction rates and combined with direct debiting made having season tickets relatively easy.

I think people renewed who may not have done after we got relegated in case they couldn''t get one if we got promoted again.

Those who didn''t renew were replaced by a good number on the waiting list who didn''t want to miss the opportunity.

Even in the bad times there was always hope and many fans had got used to being season ticket holders and were proud of being part of this phenomenal number of supporters.

When some season ticket holders couldn''t go to games and passed theirs on for free to mates they enjoyed the experience, realised how affordable it was so bought their own, again replacing some of those who gave theirs up. 

I have no doubt that if we were not doing well this season attendances would have dropped and I also believe that because there is a real chance of promotion we will sell all remaining half season tickets as people want to make sure they are part of it, then we will have the renewals before anything is confirmed, so some will again renew who may not have done and we''ve kind of gone full circle again.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]The ticketing and deals for youngsters the club introduced in the mid/late 90''s.[/quote]

This is a major factor. If we were in the Premiership and charging everybody 30 to 40 pounds per match, would we still sell out?

It''s the Delia Smith celebrity syndrome.....

Their mums bought them a City scarf for Xmas.... and hey presto!

New fans of a club their mum approves of.........

[quote user="Cluck the Purist...."]

[/quote]Are you actually a fan of Norwich City?I do wonder sometimes.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Cluck the Purist...."]

[/quote]

Are you actually a fan of Norwich City?

I do wonder sometimes.
[/quote]

*OFFICIAL RESPONSE LIMIT MESSAGE

You have exceeded your limit seeking response from the poster *Cluck The Purist* or alternatively your username* may have been blocked.

THANK YOU.