Sign in to follow this  
Beauseant

Notts County up for sale

[quote user="Beauseant"]According to the BBC. Beware of foreign consortiums bearing gifts would seem to be the motto.[/quote]

In KL case would that have been someone from Lincilnshire

Don''t laugh, seriously, maybe Munto got them and Nottingham Forest mixed up?

Forest would have seemed a better bet-in the CCC, good fanbase, recent history includes a league Championship and two European cups, infrastructure, stadium (possible World Cup ground?) and potential to grow and certainly be in the Prem again...

...these investors are sometime so far removed from reality-football club, Nottingham, invest invest invest...oh, wait, wrong one...sell sell sell!

Thought they were getting Forest, got County-wouldn''t surprise me at all!

[quote user="The Butler"]Or find a close county you can spell!![:D][/quote]

It''s a long way down to those keys, isn''t it mate?[:D]

This surprises me - when they were taken over, we were told it was because they were the oldest football club in existence, that the buyers valued the tradition of the club, and because Saudi Arabia wanted the World Cup in 2018, this was thought to be a way of showing that Saudi people in general cared about football.  I can only guess that the new owner is upset because his team aren''t winning the league and he can''t just sign Sol Campbell for Notts County in the same way he could on football manager 2008.Beware rich fickle men.

I''m wacking a massive;

I TOLD YOU SO!

To all those that previously welcomed foreign investment (and by foreign, I mean "abroad of the UK" as opposed to anything beyond a 10 mile radius from Norwich Cathedral).

[quote user="First Jedi"]I''m wacking a massive;

I TOLD YOU SO!

To all those that previously welcomed foreign investment (and by foreign, I mean "abroad of the UK" as opposed to anything beyond a 10 mile radius from Norwich Cathedral).[/quote]If you ask me people who live more than 5 miles from the Cathedral are foreigners!

Didn''t the current owners buy the club for £1 from the Supporters'' Trust which previously owned it? I wonder how much they hoping to get for the club now? Sounds like someone ought to have done a little more due diligence.

[quote user="Nuff Said"]Didn''t the current owners buy the club for £1 from the Supporters'' Trust which previously owned it? I wonder how much they hoping to get for the club now? Sounds like someone ought to have done a little more due diligence.[/quote]Not only that, the supporters'' trust agreed to write off a very hard-earned £170,000 loan that had helped save the club in the first place.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Nuff Said"]Didn''t the current owners buy the club for £1 from the Supporters'' Trust which previously owned it? I wonder how much they hoping to get for the club now? Sounds like someone ought to have done a little more due diligence.[/quote]Not only that, the supporters'' trust agreed to write off a very hard-earned £170,000 loan that had helped save the club in the first place.[/quote]Maybe there''s more to the story, but that stinks.

[quote user="First Jedi"]I''m wacking a massive; I TOLD YOU SO! To all those that previously welcomed foreign investment (and by foreign, I mean "abroad of the UK" as opposed to anything beyond a 10 mile radius from Norwich Cathedral).[/quote]

I live in Cambridgeshire but was born in Norwich hospital....

am I foreign?

"I live in Cambridgeshire but was born in Norwich hospital....

am I foreign?"

Not by my standards, I was having a pop at those that would think you are foreign...! :)

[quote user="promotion chasing CT "]

[quote user="First Jedi"]I''m wacking a massive; I TOLD YOU SO! To all those that previously welcomed foreign investment (and by foreign, I mean "abroad of the UK" as opposed to anything beyond a 10 mile radius from Norwich Cathedral).[/quote]

I live in Cambridgeshire but was born in Norwich hospital....

am I foreign?

[/quote]

of course it does...if you were born in a stable would that make you a horse ?

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Beauseant"]

The whole sad tale here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/notts_county/8405269.stm

It''s a pretty disgraceful volte face TBH.

[/quote]

A very cautionary tale. More of the background here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/david-conn-inside-sport-blog/2009/sep/02/notts-county-takeover

[/quote]

I wonder how many of the Norwich fans ( particularly those that post on here ) who salivated at the prospect of a similar injection of "direct money" into Norwich to acquire control would even take the time to read the Notts County story. All I can say is that it''s perhaps a blessing that poor Mr. Green ( a true Notts County fan and loyalist )is not around to see how his contribution was "valued." As for Mr. Armstrong-Jones, the former Chairman, justice would suggest that, if it were possible for retroactive due diligence to take place, that it would include an examination of his financial affairs. Thanks for the link PC.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Beauseant"]

The whole sad tale here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/notts_county/8405269.stm

It''s a pretty disgraceful volte face TBH.

[/quote]A very cautionary tale. More of the background here:http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/david-conn-inside-sport-blog/2009/sep/02/notts-county-takeover

[/quote]

I wonder how many of the Norwich fans ( particularly those that post on here ) who salivated at the prospect of a similar injection of "direct money" into Norwich to acquire control would even take the time to read the Notts County story. All I can say is that it''s perhaps a blessing that poor Mr. Green ( a true Notts County fan and loyalist )is not around to see how his contribution was "valued." As for Mr. Armstrong-Jones, the former Chairman, justice would suggest that, if it were possible for retroactive due diligence to take place, that it would include an examination of his financial affairs. Thanks for the link PC.

[/quote]Yankee, the two stories read together do make very sad and cautionary reading. I should say that I don''t think the lesson is that all foreign ownership is bad. Lerner at Villa seems excellent, and I suspect (on very little evidence) that Liebherr will  be good for Southampton.But it shows that two things have to be established beyond any doubt at all before agreeing to sell.1. Who actually is the buyer. 2.  What is his/her/their financial standing.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]Yankee, the two stories read together do make very sad and cautionary reading. I should say that I don''t think the lesson is that all foreign ownership is bad. Lerner at Villa seems excellent, and I suspect (on very little evidence) that Liebherr will  be good for Southampton.But it shows that two things have to be established beyond any doubt at all before agreeing to sell.1. Who actually is the buyer. 2.  What is his/her/their financial standing.[/quote]For me the jury is till out on Liebherr.  On Lerner though, I can remember being laughed out of town on here when I suggested that Doug Ellis may be a very good man to learn from when it comes to selling a club. He certainly refused to sell to Lerner until lerner could prove he had been a Villa fan for a long long time.

So the Message is clear - best to retain decent, genuine City fans as our majority owners then and whatever is said elsewhere on this Board, there is nothing better out there at present. Unless a similar buyer happens to come along - very unlikely as it is.

"I wonder if Sven and the others realise how funny some people find all this!"

Sven, like usual, is probably laughing louder than everyone, earning 5hit loads of money and doing sweet Football Association.

I doubt Sven is laughing too much...he is supposedly owed millions by the previous ''owners'' and is still ''involved'' according to the latest update on the BBC site. It will be interesting to see what form that involvement takes.

I await a bit of digging by The Guardian journalists on this one (the BBC seem disinclined to go much beyond the official press releases) as some of the ''new'' owners appear to be directors of the owners-of-the-previous owners.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/notts_county/8409631.stm

It''s as clear as mud...or the ownership of Leeds Utd.

Here you go First Jedi, proof that Sven isn''t ''laughing''.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/dec/15/sven-goran-eriksson-lawyers-money

Clearly the £1 buyout was a move to stuff Sven''s claim for millions of pounds...oh, and their manager has now resigned after just 9 games.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/dec/15/hans-backe-notts-county-sven

What a mess.

Where are the FA in all of this? Outrageously quiet.

The words ''be careful what you wish for'' never seemed more apt. I''m no great fan of our majority shareholders but this is the danger of the ''anyone-is-better-than-Delia'' line.

I feel sorry for Notts County fans.

I''m sad for Notts County''s fans, they have a decent ground (we parked there last time we played forest) a long history and now are being turned into a laughing stock firstly with the Sol Campbell thing, then the club owners being investigated and now another manager going. Its like a circus and should be a warning sign for anyone that wants Delia and co to just sell to anybody. At least Delia has NCFC at heart however many errors have been made we do still have our identity at Carrow Road.

spot on norfolk its what i have said for a long time the old saying you dont no what you had till its gone