Sign in to follow this  
First Wazzock

Why Team Lambert Have The X Factor.

Going to Carrow Road is now becoming a pleasure again, not the torture of the last few years.

The team are now playing exciting flowing football, which is a joy to watch (Yes, I know this is the third division), worthy of a higher league.

Since the arrival of team Lambert our defence has markedly tightened up, and the system we are currently using gives you the feeling we are going to score almost every time we go forward (a bit like the Championship winning season).

I felt yesterdays game was possibly the best yet. Although we didn''t score a hat full, the potential was always there. For vast periods of the game Oldham didn''t have a touch of the ball (hence the ironic ''Ole''s'' from their fans when they did get the ball). We stroked the ball around with ease (I know Oldham are not the best we are going to play this season - but you can only play what is in front of you), and all of the players look comfortable in possession, not wanting to get rid of the ball like it''s some sort of hot potato.

Over the last few years I feel we have been guilty of ''giving up'' in certain situations. Now there seems to be no ''lost causes'', we chase and hassle when not in possession which has led to several mistakes from opposition players leading to us regaining possession.

It''s fantastic to see some youth players being given their (well deserved) chance, and being proud to think that through Ray (Ardee), Billy Dixon and Nutty we have been given a chance to play a small part in their advancement.

I must thank Lambert and Culverhouse for restoring ''football'' and a bit of self belief to our team, and long may it continue.

[quote user="First Wazzock"]

Going to Carrow Road is now becoming a pleasure again, not the torture of the last few years.

The team are now playing exciting flowing football, which is a joy to watch (Yes, I know this is the third division), worthy of a higher league.

Since the arrival of team Lambert our defence has markedly tightened up, and the system we are currently using gives you the feeling we are going to score almost every time we go forward (a bit like the Championship winning season).

I felt yesterdays game was possibly the best yet. Although we didn''t score a hat full, the potential was always there. For vast periods of the game Oldham didn''t have a touch of the ball (hence the ironic ''Ole''s'' from their fans when they did get the ball). We stroked the ball around with ease (I know Oldham are not the best we are going to play this season - but you can only play what is in front of you), and all of the players look comfortable in possession, not wanting to get rid of the ball like it''s some sort of hot potato.

Over the last few years I feel we have been guilty of ''giving up'' in certain situations. Now there seems to be no ''lost causes'', we chase and hassle when not in possession which has led to several mistakes from opposition players leading to us regaining possession.

It''s fantastic to see some youth players being given their (well deserved) chance, and being proud to think that through Ray (Ardee), Billy Dixon and Nutty we have been given a chance to play a small part in their advancement.

I must thank Lambert and Culverhouse for restoring ''football'' and a bit of self belief to our team, and long may it continue.

[/quote]

That''s all well and good Wazzy, but you do understand that Holt, Hoolahan and Martin will be sold to buy new napkins in January just after Lambert takes the Scotland job and Doc signs for Real Madrid?

Bloody optimists[H]

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="First Wazzock"]

[/quote]

That''s all well and good Wazzy, but you do understand that Holt, Hoolahan and Martin will be sold to buy new napkins in January just after Lambert takes the Scotland job and Doc signs for Real Madrid?

Bloody optimists[H]

[/quote]

I dread to think what I will be writing in Jauary after all this has happened.

Oh well, back to reality. [li]

I totally agree.Its almost as if Lambert is able to select the formation and tell the players to get out there and do what they do best - play.In the past it seems that managers have been guilty of tinkering with tactics and the team too much, perhaps trying to set up to play against other teams so we can counter their strengths. Whilst this is good in some cases it can mean we don''t play to our strengths. With Huckerby here even he said that he felt he was often the only out ball, and for a while our best attacking threat that we relied upon heavily.We now have three attacking players that all have ideas and are set free to create and make those ideas happen. Martin, labelled as lazy, works in short sharp bursts and is predetory in front of goal, he is fearless and will take on long range shots if allowed to. Holt is hustle and bustle and will never allow a defender to sit back on his heels for a breather and has an incredible eye for goal, Hoolahan links the front with the midfield and causes a nightmare from there.Everyone is fighting for everyone, I almost wonder if formation matters at the moment - these guys are so comitted to battling for each other that I think they could play any formation successfully.

There''s no question that the team spirit is excellent and, as Wazzy says, everyone is working for everyone else. The workrate alone would have won us the game yesterday as we passed and tackled Oldham to death.

I think that Lambert has done two very important things. Firstly he''s come up with  a system that the players understand and like and, as chicken points out, hasn''t fiddled with it unless absolutely necessary. However, I think the real key is his man management. Early on there were issues with Wes, Doc and Rusty and it seemed that all were on their way out, but now they are absolutely integral to our success. Under Roeder they would never have pulled on a City shirt again,because once you were on the wrong side of him you were as good as dead. Lambert is clearly pretty tough, but what he''s done is to let the players know what the rules are, so that they all understand the consequences. He''s also shown real loyalty, and nothing gets the respect of players more than that. A good example was the return of Russell yesterday. He''s done really well, but was poor in Carlisle and picked up an injury. Hughes came in and did well at Southend and had a good shout to start yesterday, but Lambert rewarded Russell for his previous good form, rather than going on one bad game. The result was an excellent performance.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

A good example was the return of Russell yesterday. He''s done really well, but was poor in Carlisle and picked up an injury. Hughes came in and did well at Southend and had a good shout to start yesterday, but Lambert rewarded Russell for his previous good form, rather than going on one bad game. The result was an excellent performance.

[/quote]

That''s a great point but he must also somehow keep Hughes happy and reward him for doing really well on Tuesday. Keeping them both happy is the real test of man management and I have every confidence he has done it.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Beauseant"]

A good example was the return of Russell yesterday. He''s done really well, but was poor in Carlisle and picked up an injury. Hughes came in and did well at Southend and had a good shout to start yesterday, but Lambert rewarded Russell for his previous good form, rather than going on one bad game. The result was an excellent performance.

[/quote]

That''s a great point but he must also somehow keep Hughes happy and reward him for doing really well on Tuesday. Keeping them both happy is the real test of man management and I have every confidence he has done it.

[/quote]

You are absolutely right!

Judging by Hughes comments on Friday, I think that he understands that when (if) he gets the chance to have a run of starts he will in turn be "the man in possession" if he does the business, and thats  what I really mean about players knowing where they stand. He''s been unlucky in terms of the timing of injuries and, of course the Scotland call up, but I think he knows that his chance will come again.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I have a slight suspicion that Hughes may be carrying a little knock that wouldn''t have prevented him coming on if needed, but would benefit from missing the game, or maybe another reason. A wild stab in the dark, no justification but Columbo was on tv today and just like him it didn''t quite add up to me. Not that it matters as i too am confident that Lambert is in control.

[quote user="The gut"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I have a slight suspicion that Hughes may be carrying a little knock that wouldn''t have prevented him coming on if needed, but would benefit from missing the game, or maybe another reason. A wild stab in the dark, no justification but Columbo was on tv today and just like him it didn''t quite add up to me. Not that it matters as i too am confident that Lambert is in control.

[/quote]i wondered that too. i only saw him warming up once, and that was only for a little bit too.

It may be that Mr Cowling wrote Paul Lambert''s team talk this week, but nevertheless todays performance was immense.

The second half was totally one way traffic.

Fantastic.

Agreed Wazzock, for me yesterday''s match was a bit of a test, let''s face it, we are not good when the pressure''s on. Without wishing to make anyone sad/angry/desperate look what''s happened in matches we have had to win in the past.

Thankfully, under Lambert we seem to be capable of rising to the occasion and have shown Colchester just what they have lost in Lambert. Not only do we have a team who play for each other, we have a manager who the whole team respects.

Have to say it was one of the best away days for many seasons.