Sign in to follow this  
Canary Boy

Just got back from the game at Southampton...

Well, what can I say.I thought Norwich were really good today...to come back from two goals down showed great character.Apart from the weather (I got soaked), it was very entertaining. We were the better team of the first half and Southampton''s only realy shot on goal went in. We didn''t create much in the first half, but had lots of possession. At times, it was like taking candy from a baby, but we just didn''t manage to do anything with it, it seemed like Holt was on his own sometimes.The second half was a totally different game. I felt that with Norwich playing with their home fans in front of them and vice versa for Southampton, the game would really open up and it did. Every time Norwich broke we looked dangerous. The penalty was a reward for all the hard work and possesion up to this point. Then the shock, Southampton''s second goal was their first shot on target again in the second half...great goal...but came out of nowhere.We still looked dangerous coming forward and Holt missed a chance you would put money on him to score. A header pretty much on the goal-line went over the top, but he contiuned to win everything in the air.The goal from Stephen Hughes always looked likely, Martin''s shot was not strong, but with the wind, rain and a greasy football, the goalie just didn''t want it. Highes was there like a flash after the goalkeeper dropped it and scored.The rest of the game was real end to end stuff...each team breaking and looking like they would score. However, 2-2 was probably fair. Would like to see the second penalty shout again for us, it was right on the edge of the box.Missed quite a few bits, someone kept standing up in front of me and wouldn''t sit down, very annoying.Good character from Norwich to continue fighting.If you''re wondering how I got home so quickly, I live on the Isle of Wight :-)

I don''t agree we were the better side in the first half. I thought they looked far more dangerous, and we kept giving the ball away, I''m also not quite sure how that header from the corner didn''t go in!

Second half we were on top possession wise, but they looked very dangerous on the break. 2-2 a fair result.

[quote user="Canary Boy"]Missed quite a few bits, someone kept standing up in front of me and wouldn''t sit down,[/quote]

Good for them.....

Also at the game today.

Bothr their goals were from our mistakes and osy was involved in both of them! (looking forward to have spillane back)

Were were not great in the first half and came out all guns in the second half and fully deserved our point.

Only sour point was fan getting thrown out in first half and fight between our own fans at half time due to some queue jumping!

Was a good game from two teams who shouldn''t be at this level. First half Saint were on top for two reasons.1) two men on Hoolahoop when he got the ball and 2) played a flat midfield that streached our diamond. Both goals came from Hoolahoop giving the ball away, but it was just one of those days for him rather than a bad game for him. All in all good point. I went with some friends from the south and so in with the Saints fans - best team they have played was their thoughts and most thought we would win in the the 2nd half.

Definitely a game of two halves. I was mightily relieved that we went in at half time only 1-0. IMO Soton should have had the game wrapped up by then. But by the end of the second half I was disappointed not to be going away with all three points. What a transformation for us after half time. No mention in the Pink Un report of the 2nd penalty shout which looked clear cut from where I was standing or the Holt disallowed goal.

[quote user="Bob Franklin"]Definitely a game of two halves. I was mightily relieved that we went in at half time only 1-0. IMO Soton should have had the game wrapped up by then. But by the end of the second half I was disappointed not to be going away with all three points. What a transformation for us after half time. No mention in the Pink Un report of the 2nd penalty shout which looked clear cut from where I was standing or the Holt disallowed goal.[/quote]

A first for me - I agree with Bob! In the first half, how many times did the ball bounce around our penalty box, only to be cleared or roll past the post? I was very happy to get to the break only losing by one goal, and Lambert certainly earned his money at half time as second half we were a different team. I thought a draw was a fair result on the balance of play, but we could have just as easily lost or won the game.

Martin''s second penalty looked nailed on to me, he was bundled over from inside the box to outside the box and after the incident there was a long brownish skid-mark (sorry!) starting from inside the penalty area to a few yards outside. This may have influenced the decision that it wasn’t a penalty.

A long unbeaten run always has to end sometime, and I thought that it might well have been yesterday, but the team just don''t know how to lose at the moment.

Although it was only a point, as opposed to all three last week, it a much more enjoyable afternoon''s football with both teams trying to play for the win. Memories of that mad 3-4 loss at St Mary’s a few years ago where my nerves and emotions took a terrible battering came flooding back, especially with all the rain.

I posted on twitter that I saw Grant Holt limping in the warm up - it was towards the end of the shooting practice, and it look him a minute or two to shrug it off. I didn''t think he was as lively as he has been of late. It wouldn''t surprise me to see him patched up for the Brighton game and rested next Saturday.

We got soaked walking back to the station, got the 6.00pm train back to London and I was back at 8.30pm, roughly the same time as I would be for a home game.

If any one has a couple of minutes to spare my latest idiotic ramblings are here.

http://www.pinkun.com/content/pinkun/blogs/capital-canaries.aspx

Have to say I can;t agree we were the better team in the first half either. We started well and I thought were the better side for the first 15. they then got their goal out of nothing (Wes mistake and Askou could have done better if you ask me but a good finish) and I thought then we were hanging ona  bit until that last few minutes of the half when we got some control back.

Second half we were the better team and agin their goal came out of nothing following another sloppy pass from Semi. Until they got that I thought there was only going to be one winner. As things went 2-2 probably a fair result and one I would have taken before the game!