Sign in to follow this  
Matt Juler

Wes back to his worst

Was at the match today and staying in Southampton tonight.

Wes wasn''t at his best today, but he still provides the focus going forward and worries the opposition. City had more shots but Saints managed two excellent finishes. Fair result on the day.

Ratings:

Forster 7 (he didn''t have a chance with either goal)

Otsemobor 6 (No drastic errors and solid enough.)

Doherty 7 (Another solid game)

Askou 7 (Excellent heading and clearances)

Drury 7 (Mr Reliable)

Russell 6 (Lost Lalana to allow the first goal. Worked hard, but not decisive enough)

Smith 6 (Worked hard throughout, but tired badly by the end)

Lappin 7 (Held his flank well and provided some dangerous crosses)

Hoolahan 6 (Not his best match as he tried to take on too many too often. Set up the penalty, took it weakly but scored on the rebound)

Martin 7 (Did well to win the penalty, should have earned another and played consistently)

Holt 7 (Not at his best today, but still a handful for any defence and marshalled well as Captain)

Subs:

Hughes 7 (Added solidity and did very well to follow up for the second goal)

McDonald 6 (Never really got a chance to breakaway with pace, but did well enough)

Players like Hoolahan will sometimes create a chance out of nothing by doing something special, that type of player is very rare at this level. A downside is that when it doesn''t come of they risk looking stupid, but when it does we sing their praises. 99% of players wouldn''t even attempt some of the stuff this type of player does.

It''s nonsense to suggest that Lambert hauled him off because he ''saw what you saw''.Lambert was moving from the diamond into a 4-3-3 to try and chase the game. The most basic understanding shows that if you want to start throwing players forward, and have 3 strikers on the pitch, you''ve got to have a solid midfield able to cope with the counter. Losing Wes was a sacrifice, as we had to keep Rusty and Smith on as the more defensive players, and slot in Hughes with them. We all appreciate that Hoolahan is a playmaker and leaving him on would have effectively put us in a 4-2-4, as he''s the most forward thinking of our midfielders. Chasing the game, this is the move to make.

[quote user="Allez17"]It''s nonsense to suggest that Lambert hauled him off because he ''saw what you saw''.Lambert was moving from the diamond into a 4-3-3 to try and chase the game. The most basic understanding shows that if you want to start throwing players forward, and have 3 strikers on the pitch, you''ve got to have a solid midfield able to cope with the counter. Losing Wes was a sacrifice, as we had to keep Rusty and Smith on as the more defensive players, and slot in Hughes with them. We all appreciate that Hoolahan is a playmaker and leaving him on would have effectively put us in a 4-2-4, as he''s the most forward thinking of our midfielders. Chasing the game, this is the move to make. [/quote]Don''t use logic and fact you will confuse the idiots.

I love the way that people "watching" on Radio Norfolk can paint a picture of the match. If Wes was playing well he''d be on for the full 90 minutes. It was clear that Lambert was getting frustrated with Hoolahan''s inability to follow orders. I''m not disagreeing that he CAN be a great player, but he needs to do the simple things well.

Matt, agreed he was poor today, but give the guy a break, he''s been certainly among our best players this season. He''s entitled to an off day.

If we are to have any real aspirations of promotion he has to stay.

But his so called off days are just too dangerous for the team. You don''t play blind balls across the middle of the park, you don''t attempt to take on 4 men when there''s a simple pass available. If Wes did simple 90% of the time and Wes magic for the other 10% he''d be great, but he tries to work his magic 100% of the time. He started to play well when he went more direct, today he was back to be frustrating (especially in the first half).

Anyhow, this is my last post, time to brave the wet and windy weather down here in Soton.

Part of Hoolahan is that he loses the ball, we just need a strong left back to cover him, but with out a shadow of a doubt the fact he got injured for a few months last year was the reason we got relegated. He is the best technically gifted player there is in our club (or even league 1).

I went Tranmere last week and once again he was brilliant, he does drift in and out of games but when he is on the ball you cant help but stand up because usaully he makes something happen.

Also like to add I think Martin reads him well, I think the work very well together.

[quote user="Matt Juler"]But his so called off days are just too dangerous for the team. You don''t play blind balls across the middle of the park, you don''t attempt to take on 4 men when there''s a simple pass available. If Wes did simple 90% of the time and Wes magic for the other 10% he''d be great, but he tries to work his magic 100% of the time. He started to play well when he went more direct, today he was back to be frustrating (especially in the first half). Anyhow, this is my last post, time to brave the wet and windy weather down here in Soton.[/quote]

But without him we would have lost.

Have to say I have some sympathy for Matt, what he was saying about Wes was lost in the aftermath of him scoring - and the fact is that you can easily score whilst having a bad game, particularly when you take penalties (and Wes did actually fluff the pen - it counts as a goal from open play).

I think Wes is hugely talented, and on his day one of the best in this division. But he can also be rather infuriating - he isn''t the quickest and that can make him keep the ball for too long; he also doesn''t seem to want to shoot with his right foot (we''ve surely all seen multiple times when opportunities have gone begging while he tries to tee it up on his left peg).

But all that said, if he was the complete player, he sure as hell wouldn''t be in League 1, and would have probably been playing for Ireland and thus not in our side as often as he is.

As things are, you''d have to say the side is far better with him in it than it would be without.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]Have to say I have some sympathy for Matt, what he was saying about Wes was lost in the aftermath of him scoring - and the fact is that you can easily score whilst having a bad game, particularly when you take penalties (and Wes did actually fluff the pen - it counts as a goal from open play).

I think Wes is hugely talented, and on his day one of the best in this division. But he can also be rather infuriating - he isn''t the quickest and that can make him keep the ball for too long; he also doesn''t seem to want to shoot with his right foot (we''ve surely all seen multiple times when opportunities have gone begging while he tries to tee it up on his left peg).

But all that said, if he was the complete player, he sure as hell wouldn''t be in League 1, and would have probably been playing for Ireland and thus not in our side as often as he is.

As things are, you''d have to say the side is far better with him in it than it would be without.[/quote]Example: Martin, Chris.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]Have to say I have some sympathy for Matt, what he was saying about Wes was lost in the aftermath of him scoring - and the fact is that you can easily score whilst having a bad game, particularly when you take penalties (and Wes did actually fluff the pen - it counts as a goal from open play). I think Wes is hugely talented, and on his day one of the best in this division. But he can also be rather infuriating - he isn''t the quickest and that can make him keep the ball for too long; he also doesn''t seem to want to shoot with his right foot (we''ve surely all seen multiple times when opportunities have gone begging while he tries to tee it up on his left peg). But all that said, if he was the complete player, he sure as hell wouldn''t be in League 1, and would have probably been playing for Ireland and thus not in our side as often as he is. As things are, you''d have to say the side is far better with him in it than it would be without.[/quote]

I too like Wes but get frustrated by him as well. There were opportunities for him to get the ball into the box today which he didn''t take because it would have meant using his right foot and we lost possession.

It wasn''t his best performance as he tried to over-complicate things sometimes. He made a poor pass in mid-field and we lost possession which lead to Saints'' opening goal.

He did try to confuse the keeper with the penalty by shooting in the opposite corner to last week and, although it hit the post, he fortunately scored on the rebound.

The rest of the team weren''t moving much so there wasn''t always opportunity for creativity by anyone, particularly in the first half.

I was at the game. Not Wes''s best game by far...tried to do too much and that inability to use the other foot was at its most frustating state today. But as they say, "every cloud..." Hughes was able to come on and show his worth, playing far further forward than he usually does. Restored my faith in this guy.

Unfortunately Otsemobor proved to be a weak link in my opinion, no passion, out of position, not getting or sticking close enough to the attacking player. I think that he was hugely at fault for their second goal...slack pass intercepted then allowing the attacker loads of time to place a well struck shot on goal. The sooner he is challenged for his position again by Francombe or Spillane the better.

We all have our favourites and I suppose I have been rather underwhelmed by him to date...not that it means anything but I was more impressed with Hughes today than I have been.

I fear Hoolahan may have found his level. As much as I love his ability to create chances and score goals (to some degree), he makes many mistakes throughout games and for a professional footballer to not even be able to touch the ball with his weak foot is criminal. So for as many chances as he makes, he almost wastes all of them through his inability to play with his right foot. In league 1, where the defenders are slower, less skilful and probably suffering from a lack of IQ he can rule the roost, but at the higher levels I feel he may struggle. That''s probably why he hasn''t found himself at the top of the championship or a regular for Ireland, even though he is a talented footballer.

[quote user="Fellas"]I fear Hoolahan may have found his level. [/quote]Disagree, he was starting to look the part for us last season until injury struck, and I think we may have stayed up if he had stayed fit.

Incidentally, all this stuff about players having "found their level" - if players stand out and look genuinely good then they''re probably below their natural level.  I think Hula would struggle in the Prem but could certainly play Championship level football.  Ditto Doc and Russell.

[quote user="Fellas"]I fear Hoolahan may have found his level. As much as I love his ability to create chances and score goals (to some degree), he makes many mistakes throughout games and for a professional footballer to not even be able to touch the ball with his weak foot is criminal. So for as many chances as he makes, he almost wastes all of them through his inability to play with his right foot. In league 1, where the defenders are slower, less skilful and probably suffering from a lack of IQ he can rule the roost, but at the higher levels I feel he may struggle. That''s probably why he hasn''t found himself at the top of the championship or a regular for Ireland, even though he is a talented footballer. [/quote]Hmm. Hve you seen his goal vs. Barnsley last season?

Did anyone at the game see why holts header was disallowed?   Was it a foul in the build up?   i couldn''t see clearly and to me just looked like the defender slipped over?

Put his marking defender on the ground so he could reach the ball.

All those people abusing the op should be ashamed of yourself!

1. he is expressing an OPINION it is something we are allowed to do free from persecution!!!

2. He was at the game and by the sounds of alot of you were just listening on the radio. which by past experience I can tell you that is very hard to get an opinion of other than that of the comentator.

3. He is actually right on this one. wes is a good player but yesterday had a bit of a shocker we knew he was going to miss that pen before he even stepped upit was the sort of game his having.

Rant over

[quote user="Clean Shirt"]Put his marking defender on the ground so he could reach the ball.

All those people abusing the op should be ashamed of yourself!

1. he is expressing an OPINION it is something we are allowed to do free from persecution!!!

2. He was at the game and by the sounds of alot of you were just listening on the radio. which by past experience I can tell you that is very hard to get an opinion of other than that of the comentator.

3. He is actually right on this one. wes is a good player but yesterday had a bit of a shocker we knew he was going to miss that pen before he even stepped upit was the sort of game his having.

Rant over[/quote]So you don''t agree that saying he is "back to his worst" after one iffy performance (after a run of good games) is a bit over the top?

best player we have in the team with holt . he scored for us and i would say he is our key player . if his recent form is his worst i cant wait to see him hit top form .

every player has off days even the cream of manchester united , chelsea ... etc not very often i admit . but if he has a bad game and can still manage to score for us im not that bothered . his skills when he is on fire can turn a game on its head with such a impact . very important player for us .

Another reason Wes didn''t have his best game yesterday was that he was targetted from the start by some very effective closing down by Saints. This freed up the rest of the midfield to play with more space which they didn''t exploit often enough. It is there that the fault lies. Wes is going to be player targetted by all opposition managers this season for special treatment and attention so he will have games like this where he doesn''t run the show for 90 mins. Why do all the other teams target him? Simply because he is, by some distance, our best and most creative player and the one that will win us the most games this season. Every other manager in the division knows this and so does every supporter that knows anything about football.