Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

Southampton match

From all accounts a great match, and I think a very good point won.What surprised me was when I looked at the BBC live text report, we had 16 attempts/shots on goal, whereas Southampton had only 12. Our problem was that we had only 7 which would have scored, while Southampton had 9 (and of course we missed the target 9 times, and they only 3 times.)I have noticed this several times this season, and it seems that we are good at creating chances, - getting in goal scoring positions, but not good at converting them into goals. The Diamond, and even slow wingers do not seem to be inhibiting creation of chances.Why is the conversion rate poor?- is the cross or final ball not accurate enough, so the attempt is rushed or off-balance?- are attempts made in "excitement" at the prospect of a goal, and so headed or  blasted over or past?- are our finishers not quite up to it?The main "offenders" seem to be  Holty, with head or foot, or Martin with head, but Wes, Korey, and Russell also seem to miss the target.I think that Holty will score 20 in the league this season, and Martin perhaps 15, and Wes not far behind, and I think that all three contribute in the build up and supply. I wouldn''t drop any of them for matches in this division, although I wonder whether they will be so effective in the Championship if we got there.The question remains, as it has been all season, with the exception of the few games when we have run in 4 or 5, why can we not at least hit the target more consistently, even if the goalkeeper saves. Over or round will not produce many goals!

Iknow what the expectation is, and I share that but this is league 1, if our conversion rate were better we wouldn''t be down here. It is frustrating but so long as we are opening up plenty chances we will win more times than we''ll draw or lose.