Sign in to follow this  
newcastle uni canary

9 million price tag for hoolahan

If we got 3 - 4 million for Wes then what? You could buy 3 or 4 good players that would give us cover at the same standard we have already got. We don''t need this, those players already exist. Other than that you would have to pay out 3-4 million to get in another quality playmaker, why take that chance - we have already got one that is settled and playing well.

Same arguments were used to justify the sale of Chris Sutton for the then astronomical sum of £5 million. We can buy more players etc etc. Problem was that we couldn''t buy anyone as good because they weren''t available or wouldn''t come. Same thing applies here; a big transfer fee is only as good as the players you can attract in. We wouldn''t get one better than Wes so don''t bother - I''d rather have promotion thanks!

Wes just isn''t worth 3 or 4 million. He is a million pound player at most, probably closer to 750k in all honesty. He is approaching 30, has a mixed track record. Lambert''s 8 - 9m remark is an obvious joke as he tries to avoid an awkward question about his worth.

The thing that could really affect all this is if there is a minimum fee release cause in his contract, he had one at Blackpool and Roeder was very eager to sign him, coupled with Doncaster''s amazing negotiating skills I really wouldn''t be surprised if one was added. It would be a real blow to our promotion hopes if he was to go as he does have that little bit extra, but I feel we are adapting our game to incorporate him into the team. (Which is no bad thing with his ability to create and score goals)

[quote user="Bob Franklin"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

As I mentioned in another thread....If hypothetically, Wes went for a tidy sum....After everyone like his agent and maybe Blackpool getting a slice, how much of the fee would actually be spent on the squad, and not other financial requirements - like our outstanding large debt? Because, I do think monies owed to those who we''ve borrowed from, need to be addressed or we will be spiralling even further into bankrupt oblivion and administration.

We may get promotion, then what? Carry on in a higher league scrimping and scraping and begging for a crust?    

[/quote] Yep, you''re right. Let''s throw the towel in now. Might as well, as there''s no hope.[/quote]

There is hope....But, it''s down to the majority shareholders....Y''know, the one''s that give Gunny the vote of confidence....then rescinded that vote......a few days later.

The football although at a lower level is at the moment enjoyable, and because of our ''good run'' the real issue and agenda has taken a back-seat. But, we require foresight and not just ''enjoying the moment'' syndrome - or with previous controllers of the purse-strings, '' in hindsight.''

I don''t think we have to throw in the towel, but if that towel is getting threadbare....it requires replacing....and not with a load of wet flannel.

You''ll see what I mean come January. When injury, suspensions, loss of form and disruptive transfer gossip etc, takes hold.

Come on guys, be realistic. He is worth about £750k (but I wouldn''t sell him for that) . He is far too much of a luxury. Yes he is a skillful player and is doing well for us at the moment but he still gives the ball away far too often for anyone who has several million to spend.

OTBC

One man does not a team makeWe coped fine when :Sutton leftEadie leftBellamy leftNeed me to continue ?Wes is a asset to our team no doubt but i honestly dont think losing him would be as big a blow in the long run as everyone seems to think.

I thought that when we sold Sutton we also lost Martin O'' Neill and fell apart qucikly and got relegated within a couple of seasons. And one man does seem to make sometimes. What happened once we sold Huckerby ? We got relegated.

Plain and simple. We should not sell Wes. He is starting to play at the top of his game and is scorig goals for fun. He is our playmaker and one of most influential players. If we sell him, we will fall apart quickly.