Sign in to follow this  
Canary Man of Kent

Fao: dicky - was that you being ejected?

Easter 1978 we weRE at binman rd, in the churchman end. It kicked ofF literally and a huge sized mate (he was ginger!) got hauled out of the mellee and thrown out. Was back about 30 mins later effin'' and blinding that he had had to pay to get back in again !

It was too crushed to get out to the loo and nobody wanted to anyway. It was matter of pride to pee on the wooden terraces.

We all piled off the bus on the way home to chase some binners who were waiting to throw stones just before some roundabout.

Yes, it was rough, it was a bit boisterous but if you turned up you got in. ''On the Ball'' was SUNG, mostly at memorable occasions not bleated out every few minutes like a cheap cuckoo clock.

The game was mostly watched by people who played the game and were still playing it. People who understood the game and would regard ''assists'', ''optica stats'' and other meaningless gibberish as the witless drivel it is.

Can we go back ? No. Times have changed.

As have the crowd. So many I used to know went have drifted away bored, bored by it all.

Bored because it is mostly about just watching football now with (by in large) good natured banter with opposition fans?

I like it. I think it''s great that football (inc away days) can be a family day out.

" I think it''s great that football (inc away days) can be a family day out "

Whether you have a clue about what''s going on or not.

And why so much is now being contrived to ensure that families have a ''great day out''.

How long before that cancer of ignorance spreads and the real supporters are squeezed into a small football fans enclosure ?

City1st - you are of course right about atmosphere sufferring, I was merely questioning what it was the had bored your pals.

It must be possible to strike a balance, QPR away last year was a fantastic atmosphere with no compromise in safety, charlton away in the cup was pretty good too. The atmosphere on saturday eason my opinion damaged by the stewards.

I think you''re overreacting about the lengths clubs go to for families. I accept that most of the ground is a family area, but kids are the future of the clubs support and it''s essential they feel welcome in my opinion. The lack of atmosphere is the same across 95% (if not all) of grounds in the country with only pockets of fans singing and the rest in silence. A lot of these clubs don''t have an especially family friendly atmosphere. I prefer a full stadium (more money, both now and in future as the kids grow up) to an empty stadium with all 12,000 singing.

I''m sure not all will agree.

I was 3 rows in front of Dicky and his mates who got kicked out.  It was bad stwarding to the exstream because all it achieve was making us all stand up in support of them boys and that is how we stayed for the rest of the match.It seems to be that if 4 people stand up this isn''t allowed but if 400 people stand up this is fine...........strange

[quote user="farley"]Every other industry seems to have a regulatory body, so why doesn''t football!
[/quote]

There are Football League rules and I think its number 10 that says fans should not stand during games. So the stewards are trying to enforce the Football League rules.

My personal view is that so long as those who want to stand dont block the view of others I''m relaxed over it.  Stoping people stand at football grounds while they doing zero mph. seems crazy while the authorities allow people to stand in train carriages doing 60 mph.+!!!

For a number of away games this isn''t a problem, those who want to stand tend to be at the back of the away support and behind the goal. So those of us want to sit tend to sit to one side or further down. People are happy and those of who want to sing do so....(my favourite being: My garden shed is bigger......)

However there are problems when individuals who want to stand have not got seats with the group (who stand at the back). When the stand is packed they create aggro with other fans who want to remain seated, e.g., Stockport away until the stewards told people to sit.

May be football needs to come up with a pragmatic solution and despite seats being fitted into grounds, they designate certain rows at the back of a stand (containing away support)  for people who want to stand and you have to sit in other areas.

[quote user="City1st"]Easter 1978 we weRE at binman rd, in the churchman end. It kicked ofF literally and a huge sized mate (he was ginger!) got hauled out of the mellee and thrown out. Was back about 30 mins later effin'' and blinding that he had had to pay to get back in again ! .[/quote]

What do you expect at POORman Rd.?

Steward''s over the top behaviour is mentioned in Steve Gedge''s column in the EEN tonight.

[quote user="SouthamptonCanary"]I was 3 rows in front of Dicky and his mates who got kicked out.  It was bad stwarding to the exstream because all it achieve was making us all stand up in support of them boys and that is how we stayed for the rest of the match.

It seems to be that if 4 people stand up this isn''t allowed but if 400 people stand up this is fine...........strange
[/quote]

I remember the Derby away match a few seasons back when of course the Derby supporters could stand up all game but when a few Norwich fans stood up (and I mean only a few) a couple (including Bilvo) were manhandled out. As a consequence a few hundred Norwich fans stood up in solidarity. 

I made my views known to the senior steward that i thought they had gone OTT and I believe somebody complained to Derby County FC and got an apology.

[quote user="glove1"]times have changed at football. 10 years ago there were a range of songs being sung in the barclay/snakepit. if you now start a classic up like ''you are my norwich...'', half the fans sitting there now havent a clue what you are singing.[/quote]

That''s because some of the songs haven''t been sung for ages.

When was the last time ''You are my Norwich'' actually sung? I can''t remember it be being sung recently, unless at a game I''ve missed.