Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

*contoversy Alert*..Is Korey Smith overated?

Thought I''d throw this one out there ,really to get the views of fans who have seen every game home and away this season as I haven''t been to as many away matches this season as in previous years, therefore I''m judging this from all of the home matches and from what I''ve heard and read from the away games.

Put to one side for a moment his age and answer this purely on his current abiliy, Is Korey Smith being overated a little?. From what I''ve seen he can be 2 yards off the play, his positional sense at times gets exposed, and his shooting ability is pretty erratic. Obviously all of these will improve over time but are we currently missing a trick by not playing somebody with the obvious quality of Stephen Hughes?

One of our possible weaknesses is that pretty much all of our play is going through Hoolahan, if Hughes were in the side, there would be another channel of attack, plus he seems to have a goal or two in him?

Not seen him play away from home, but seen him play at home and he''s a good little player, but what you have to remember is he''s still young and still learning, let''s not be too harsh eh?

I don''t think that he is great, but he is part of a winning team. I think what he lacks in certain areas, such as shooting and getting in the right positions in midfield, I think he makes up with his drive, energy and getting in the right areas for shooting. We always want a youth player to do better than other players.

But saying all of the above, I think he warrants a place in the team and others a lot for us.

Problem is that some of us often get carried away with how good some of our youngsters are. Sometimes you think "well if that player had come in on loan from another club he probably wouldn''t be thought of as well as he is".

As for Korey Smith in particular, I think he has done pretty well this season. He definitely deserves to be in the first team squad. He''s had good games and not so good ones. Sometimes he''s in the thick of everything and other times the play passes him by.

I''ve seen some people suggest he''s player of the season so far but for me that''d be quite a way off the mark. However, he''s certainly not out of his depth and he will only get better.

[quote user="Mr. Bump"]I''d like to see Stephen Hughes starting but Korey Smith is definitely one for the future.
[/quote]

Right you are, Jimmy! [Y]

I don''t think it''s right to put his age aside when judging if he is overrated or not.The fact of the matter is, if he was at his prime (25-28?) then he would be what he is now, a top half League One central midfielder, in my opinion.However, he''s not. He has a huge amount of time to improve. Most faults you, and others mention, are one''s which can be sorted through experience, and physical build up. It''s important that he doesn''t get carried away, and  that he is not put under unnecessary pressure. Hughes may, or may not be the better option now. Hughes probably has more quality in passing at the moment, but don''t underestimate Smiths work rate!

I really don''t see Hughes as a better option, I think they''re totally different.

Smith is a box to box midfielder in the same way as damien Francis, making driving runs into dangerous areas. I see hughes as more someone that liked to put his foot on the ball and use it well with good passing, not running at opponents.

Without smith in the team we have no one who really runs at defenders and pulls the opposition back line out of shape.

He is still young and was going to do what all young players do - hit a flat spot.  If that is now happening then he needs a rest and to come back fresh and ready to go again

Overrated - no;   just learning and still a tremendous prospect.

Hes not world class at the moment, but he could be an extremley good player, and should be playing in the prem at some piont.

He is still learning......

I suggested this in an overrated and underrated thread and got killed for it!

But I agree with ZLF whole heartly

I would consider dropping smith moving Russell to Smith position and Hughes into the holding role.

I would also make the point the only thing that keeps Lappin in the team is his set piece delivery.

I think Ulf and Zipper have hit the nail on the head. All young players benefit form a spell in the side and then a few games out. The way Korey plays is very physically demanding, but he''s also having to cope with the mental challenge of stepping up to first team level. The initial adrenaline rush has now dissipated and he needs to recharge his batteries for the next surge. Leaving him out would be positive, not negative, and in his best interests, because he''ll come back stronger and hungrier. As  for being overrated, the lad is one of the best young prospects we''ve generated in years.

I disagree with the idea of moving Russell, though. He is perfectly suited to being the base of the diamond and I fear that to move him would unbalance us. Perhaps Adeyemi would be the best like for like replacement? I also feel that Lappin is in the side by default at present, and even his set pieces have deteriorated since the early part of the season, but we don''t really have an alternative left sided player at present.

I think most people like him because he works very hard closing down well. Its nice to see him shoot alot even if he doesn''t score. He shows his passion and pride of pulling on the shirt. Can''t drop him for Hughes.

Good debate here I would also add that both Smith and Lappin at times are a still confused about what they are doing positionally with the diamond are they playing wide or tucking in? To me it seems a difficult balancing act.

If i was an opposing manager i''d 5 flat in midfield against us.....

[quote user="Ulf Ottosson"]I suggested this in an overrated and underrated thread and got killed for it! But I agree with ZLF whole heartly I would consider dropping smith moving Russell to Smith position and Hughes into the holding role. I would also make the point the only thing that keeps Lappin in the team is his set piece delivery.[/quote]

Interesting point. I belive that has HAS to be a player in Tudur-Jones and when fit would like to see him at the base of midfield.

I believe could still do the running of Smith and pose more of a goal threat, whilst I''d rather have the passing ability of Hughes than Lappin,

a possible midfield of;

Hoolahan

Russell                         Hughes

Tudur-Jones ??

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[quote user="Ulf Ottosson"]I suggested this in an overrated and underrated thread and got killed for it! But I agree with ZLF whole heartly I would consider dropping smith moving Russell to Smith position and Hughes into the holding role. I would also make the point the only thing that keeps Lappin in the team is his set piece delivery.[/quote]

Interesting point. I belive that has HAS to be a player in Tudur-Jones and when fit would like to see him at the base of midfield.

I believe Russell could still do the running of Smith and pose more of a goal threat, whilst I''d rather have the passing ability of Hughes than Lappin,

a possible midfield of;

Hoolahan

Russell                         Hughes

Tudur-Jones ??

[/quote]

correction

I think he is a real prospect and in fact surprised a bigger club has not come in for him. He is playing against some very poor teams but he just looks to me as a very good young footballer. Fast and strong and always keen to get forward and link up with other players.

Have seen little of Hughes to judge but possibly should replace Lappin. Have seen him take some 20 corners recently - many of them poorly delivered. Basically he needs to send the ball in higher near the penalty spot where our strong in the air players can take advantage.