Sign in to follow this  
DGC

Why do we always kickoff towards the Barclay?

[quote user="Salford City YELLOW"][quote user="Norfolk Lutonian "]

Of course 1stCity is right, its not up to us, its down to a toss of a coin.

Nowadays its the winner of the toss gets to choose ends and the loser gets centre.

So there''s something for you to look out for tomorrow night, if we kick off we''ve lost the toss, if they kick off we got to decide what end we shoot at first.

[/quote] On the toss of the coin you can choose to kick off OR choose to swap ends. Therefore we could win the toss and still kick off. However, if we came out at the Barclay End we could win the toss, stick with the end and kick off. I think it is an advantage kicking towards your most vociferous fans in the second half. See Man Utd and Liverpool''s host of late goals when kicking towards the Stretford End or Kop for proof.[/quote]

That has changed about 3 seasons ago I think.

The procedure now is clear...win the toss you get to chose ends, lose the toss you get centre.

[quote user="Pablo Picarsole"]I wonder if anybody can find the real answer to this conundrum? That theory about a slope sounds quite plausible - especially as the team seems to have adopted the policy of attacking the N&P in the second half for several seasons now - under about 5 or 6 different managers too.[/quote]

But what I don''t get about all of this - Was thare ever a time where we chose to kick toward the Barclay End 2nd half? I remember loads of second half goals at both ends. Two big headers Bruce''s against scum in ''85 and Stringer''s against Palace in ''73. I''m not convinced we ever did it and I''m also not convinced there''s an advantage. One of the greatest comebacks of all time against Middlesboro was staged toward the Riverend with enormous encouragement from the loyal fans left in the Barclay.

meant to add that at certain times of the year the sun is the biggest factor. Can''t see it being a problem tomorrow night though[S][;)]

Attack the barclay in the 2nd half should be mandatory! the winner at the barclay is always sweet. Plus we all seem to go even more mental when it happens than anywhere else in the ground!

I sit in the river end its not all quite there, we get loud in the second half when were attacking towards that end, just because your loud doenst mnean were not to, i think they should continue kicking towards the river end in the second half as there are more fans that end than your end, if you think about it logically during the middlesbourgh game, it was noise form all that were left in that section of the ground, when you have to have the opposition fans as well.

But in all honesty i dont think it matters what end we kick towards, its not going to make any differance.