Sign in to follow this  
DGC

Why do we always kickoff towards the Barclay?

....and why do we warm up at the riverend?I think if we warmed up at the Barclay we may help build pre-game atmosphere. Also the opposition will be stuck down the morgue end and thus that may have an adverse effect on them.Then, if we choose to kick towards the river end in the first half we''ll have the somewhat more, vociferous shall we say, support of the snake pit and barclay in the second half when we may need it most if we happen to be chasing the game or looking to kill one off!Seems quite minor but psychology is a huge part of sport i thinkSo, what do you say Lambo? worth a shot?

I agree with you DGC, its a gripe with me as well. Many moons ago it was always City attacking the Barclay end in the second half and when the team needed an extra man the Barclay and now Snakepit were and and still are there to will them on.Lets hope this message gets through to the lads.

[quote user="pete_norw"]

No slope, it was altered last season when new pitch was laid.

As said on many a thread about this

[/quote]oh right, still thought it was there (assumed the ground was issue not pitch)

What you need to take into consideration Ginger Pele is that perhaps they don''t need to be cheered it''s going to have an effect. You really think that players don''t hear their names being chanted and it gives them a boost. While they can block it out and focus you''re still going to be able to hear the crowd noise. That extra level should spur the players on, whether they realise or not.

I think I read somewhere that Liverpool always attack the kop in the second half in they can. I either read it or heard it on tv somewhere cos someone said the collected breath of those fans could suck the ball over the line. Probably the kind of thing Mark Lawrenson would come out with.

I have always wanted us to kick towards the Barclay in the 2nd half, always thought we played better that way.

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]I have always wanted us to kick towards the Barclay in the 2nd half, always thought we played better that way.[/quote]

We always used to - I think we swapped some time in the late 90s - but we always used to attack the old terraced Barclay in the 2nd half

I tend to feel the same as you DCG...always say that if the opposition feel they are still in with a chance, then they step up a gear kicking towards their fans.

Also, think our team shoud warm up down near the Barclay & Snakepit - just to wind things up a bit...

This rather presumes that is us who make the decision.

With a 50/50 chance on the coin toss it must presume that the away team then opts to kick off towards the river end.

Where do we find ''em ?

And it also rather presumes kicking toward the Barclay 2nd half is the right choice. So many factors to think about there. At various times of the year the sun is a factor as those in the Barclay can testify. We aren''t always saluting Delia y''know[:O]

I''m not sure what''s proved best historically either. There was a thread about this a while ago. When I think of big second half goals at Carrow Road I remember them at both ends. I seriously am not sure of any advantage that is gained by kicking toward our loudest fans second half.

I always thought the reason why we kicked towards the River end in the second half is because the away end is located next to the barclay and just about every stadium I see has the away team kicking towards its own fans in the 2nd half, perhaps their is a rule that denies Norwich from changeing the way they kick off? Unless of course one of the two captions choose to swop after the toss.

Of course 1stCity is right, its not up to us, its down to a toss of a coin.

Nowadays its the winner of the toss gets to choose ends and the loser gets centre.

So there''s something for you to look out for tomorrow night, if we kick off we''ve lost the toss, if they kick off we got to decide what end we shoot at first.

It''s to do with the sun. In the second half it is behind the river end so doesn''t blind the keeper defending the barclay. We have kicked that way for as long as I can remember

[quote user="Smiffy"]It''s to do with the sun. In the second half it is behind the river end so doesn''t blind the keeper defending the barclay. We have kicked that way for as long as I can remember[/quote]

I said that, no one paid any attention [:)]

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]

But when we do win the toss, we choose to kick towards Barclay in the 1st half.

[/quote]

Yes, so we arent affected with the sun in our eyes in the first half.

[quote user="Brendan"]

[quote user="Smiffy"]It''s to do with the sun. In the second half it is behind the river end so doesn''t blind the keeper defending the barclay. We have kicked that way for as long as I can remember[/quote]

I said that, no one paid any attention [:)]

[/quote]Think you''re right Brendan. I did notice what you said but was too lazy to back you up. I''m sure it''s even worse for a half hour or so during the winter months when the sun''s lower in the sky.

[quote user="Norfolk Lutonian "]

Of course 1stCity is right, its not up to us, its down to a toss of a coin.

Nowadays its the winner of the toss gets to choose ends and the loser gets centre.

So there''s something for you to look out for tomorrow night, if we kick off we''ve lost the toss, if they kick off we got to decide what end we shoot at first.

[/quote]

On the toss of the coin you can choose to kick off OR choose to swap ends. Therefore we could win the toss and still kick off. However, if we came out at the Barclay End we could win the toss, stick with the end and kick off.

I think it is an advantage kicking towards your most vociferous fans in the second half. See Man Utd and Liverpool''s host of late goals when kicking towards the Stretford End or Kop for proof.

Play towards the Barclay in the 2nd half for a bleeding change, FFS! Annoys me too. Those quiet, unemotional souls who inhabit the N&P Stand seem to have the opportunity to see more goals for City than we do at the opposite end. It''s not fair, I tell you!

I wonder if anybody can find the real answer to this conundrum? That theory about a slope sounds quite plausible - especially as the team seems to have adopted the policy of attacking the N&P in the second half for several seasons now - under about 5 or 6 different managers too.