Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

The no-stars?

Southampton scored two very good goals, although perhaps we made it easier for them by backing off. In Allana and Connolly they have two very good players.Our strength is surely in our commitment to each other. We have some good players - Hooly, Drury, Forster, and one or two who might become very good , - Martin and Korey. I doubt that we have many who would dominate in the Championship if they were there at the moment.We do not have much back-up - when you look at Saturday''s bench, and of the injured only perhaps Spillane stands out.Our strength is in our commitment. The players, led by Holty, never stop, and they play for each other. In general we can''t ask much more from most of them. Added to the commitment  is the confidence they have acquired from a good run. Recently they have not shown the standard of play that saw us nearly eclipse Leeds, but we are still achieving results.I would like us to score the kind of goal scored by Connolly, which means that we need to expand the squad, but for the moment we are scoring an average of two goals per game and conceding less than one on average, and we have made real progress.Perhaps there is some advantage in not having "stars", as they can become "prima donnas", and be a disturbing influence.

[quote user="Salopian"]Southampton scored two very good goals, although perhaps we made it easier for them by backing off. In Allana and Connolly they have two very good players.

Our strength is surely in our commitment to each other. We have some good players - Hooly, Drury, Forster, and one or two who might become very good , - Martin and Korey. I doubt that we have many who would dominate in the Championship if they were there at the moment.

We do not have much back-up - when you look at Saturday''s bench, and of the injured only perhaps Spillane stands out.

Our strength is in our commitment. The players, led by Holty, never stop, and they play for each other. In general we can''t ask much more from most of them. Added to the commitment  is the confidence they have acquired from a good run. Recently they have not shown the standard of play that saw us nearly eclipse Leeds, but we are still achieving results.

I would like us to score the kind of goal scored by Connolly, which means that we need to expand the squad, but for the moment we are scoring an average of two goals per game and conceding less than one on average, and we have made real progress.

Perhaps there is some advantage in not having "stars", as they can become "prima donnas", and be a disturbing influence.
[/quote]

Thought the build up to our second goal showed some real quality - if Chrissy had have finished it of it would have been equal to anything Southampton produced.

[quote user="missing in action?"]pick the best team, not the best players- alf ramsey was right
[/quote

thats why england stumbl, they pick the best players!!

I would add Russell to your list of players who are good at this level. Average-mediocre in the Championship, but he''s doing a fantastic job at the base of the diamond this season. Doc and Askou are in that category too.

At the risk of being like a stuck record, I think it reflects very well on Lambert. He''s got a system that really suits the players that he''s got, and the spirit and togetherness is very encouraging, and hasn''t been seen since the good old days under Worthy.

[quote user="Salopian"]Southampton scored two very good goals, although perhaps we made it easier for them by backing off. In Allana and Connolly they have two very good players.

Our strength is surely in our commitment to each other. We have some good players - Hooly, Drury, Forster, and one or two who might become very good , - Martin and Korey. I doubt that we have many who would dominate in the Championship if they were there at the moment.

We do not have much back-up - when you look at Saturday''s bench, and of the injured only perhaps Spillane stands out.

Our strength is in our commitment. The players, led by Holty, never stop, and they play for each other. In general we can''t ask much more from most of them. Added to the commitment  is the confidence they have acquired from a good run. Recently they have not shown the standard of play that saw us nearly eclipse Leeds, but we are still achieving results.

I would like us to score the kind of goal scored by Connolly, which means that we need to expand the squad, but for the moment we are scoring an average of two goals per game and conceding less than one on average, and we have made real progress.

Perhaps there is some advantage in not having "stars", as they can become "prima donnas", and be a disturbing influence.
[/quote]

Some very goods points in this,

I believe we look more creative when Hughes is/was playing and hopefully he can have a full fitness run in the team soon as I believe he is a big part of the team that you mentioned nearly eclipsed Leeds.

We have a good back bone in the team as well. I am not 100% convinced the back bone would be as strong in the Championship, but we are a league 1 team and it all seems to be working very nicely. Part of me feels that the board are holding out till the end (or near the end) of the season to see if we have a good chance of going up before they back Lambert with some funds (very tight funds I must mention)

[/quote]

Some very goods points in this,

I believe we look more creative when Hughes is/was playing and hopefully he can have a full fitness run in the team soon as I believe he is a big part of the team that you mentioned nearly eclipsed Leeds.

We have a good back bone in the team as well. I am not 100% convinced the back bone would be as strong in the Championship, but we are a league 1 team and it all seems to be working very nicely. Part of me feels that the board are holding out till the end (or near the end) of the season to see if we have a good chance of going up before they back Lambert with some funds (very tight funds I must mention)

[quote user="missing in action"]pick the best team, not the best players- alf ramsey was right
[/quote]

which is why Lampard and Gerrard shouldnt be in the same England team together.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="missing in action"]pick the best team, not the best players- alf ramsey was right[/quote]

[/quote]agree with you there.id rather have a team that plays well than a side with 1 or 2 marquee players,

You say we have no stars but at this level the majority of our side would walk into most sides at this level, in fact you could make a case for 6/7 of our side being, one of if not the best in their position in the division

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="missing in action"]pick the best team, not the best players- alf ramsey was right
[/quote]

[/quote]

Slightly OT but didn''t Lampard and Gerrard play most of our qualifying campaign together?!? 

[quote user="Clint"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Slightly OT but didn''t Lampard and Gerrard play most of our qualifying campaign together?!? 

[/quote]

against tin Pot opposition (easiest qualifying group in years!)... wait until the summer.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Clint"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

against tin Pot opposition (easiest qualifying group in years!)... wait until the summer.

[/quote]

Croatia are 10th in the world rankings (we''re just above them in 9th) I would hardly them tin pot! 

[quote user="Clint"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Clint"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="missing in action"]pick the best team, not the best players- alf ramsey was right[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Croatia are 10th in the world rankings (we''re just above them in 9th) I would hardly them tin pot! 

[/quote]theyve done wellbut we can do better. good players will get you so far. a great team will beat anyone.

[/quote]

Fair post, but I would rathers see us passing the ball into the net than counting on long rage spectacular efforts. Were playing the game sensibly at the moment, hard to break down, hard to penetrate, working hard for the goals. I think Southampton were fortunate with their goals on Sat. And if Holt and Hoolahan arent stars........Im an unused johny in a maternity ward.