Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

What do we need in January to bolster the squad?

I think we''re all agreed we need a svensson and mackenzie-esque boost to our squad to push on after xmas. But what positions? We may only have the money for one. Or one out and one in.

PL seems to want a winger. Nothing wrong with that. But i do wonder if it would be a good idea to change our current formation to a 4-4-2 with regular wingers. Because that means no room for Wes unless he goes out on the left wing, and PL is rightly loath to do that and subject Drury to it after years playing behind a brilliant but errant Huckerby.

Martin, Jamie and Cody won''t thank me for saying it but I''d like to see another Holt type forward come in. A Svensson type in fact. I think we are a seriously inferior team without Holt and need cover for him that our other strikers don''t offer.

A right back maybe but you have to hope that once spillane is fit he is good competition if not a likely 1st choice right back, leaving francombe and semmy as decent cover. Another and we''re suddenly over-run with right backs.

If we have to ship someone out it''s in midfield where we could lose someone, and we have to listen to offers for Cureton because i can''t see a place for him even on the bench in our strongest squad. So, for me, it''s russel or cureton out, a clone of Holt (with a slightly keener eye for goal) in!

I dont feel that we have to change the formation as we are playing well at the moment. i just feel we need pace in the side. Maybe adamoah or somebody like the tranmere winger who caused drury trouble most of the game (not many people are able to do that!)

Attacking players with a bit of pace (a striker and a winger). As well as we have been doing over the last weeks there will surely time when we need different options and a different approach.

Probably a left footed defender who can play centreback and fullback would be handy as well.

[quote user="a1canary"]I think we''re all agreed we need a svensson and mackenzie-esque boost to our squad to push on after xmas. But what positions? We may only have the money for one. Or one out and one in.

PL seems to want a winger. Nothing wrong with that. But i do wonder if it would be a good idea to change our current formation to a 4-4-2 with regular wingers. Because that means no room for Wes unless he goes out on the left wing, and PL is rightly loath to do that and subject Drury to it after years playing behind a brilliant but errant Huckerby.

Martin, Jamie and Cody won''t thank me for saying it but I''d like to see another Holt type forward come in. A Svensson type in fact. I think we are a seriously inferior team without Holt and need cover for him that our other strikers don''t offer.

A right back maybe but you have to hope that once spillane is fit he is good competition if not a likely 1st choice right back, leaving francombe and semmy as decent cover. Another and we''re suddenly over-run with right backs.

If we have to ship someone out it''s in midfield where we could lose someone, and we have to listen to offers for Cureton because i can''t see a place for him even on the bench in our strongest squad. So, for me, it''s russel or cureton out, a clone of Holt (with a slightly keener eye for goal) in![/quote]I will agree with most of that, apart from the change in formation, You do not need to change a system to accomadate a player, any winger can sit in and defend when he needs to, and then he can pull of to the wings when we attack, i think when PL says he wants a winger he is looking for someone with natural pace and who is going to run at those fullbacks and get the ball in the box. The 2nd point i will disagree with is your last, although i agree that we may need another larger (target man) type striker as cover, do you not think that Holty''s 12 goals this season shows a keen eye for goal!! For so long we have wanted someone to score that many goals, and we have not really had that total from a striker at the end of the season, we are not even half way though it yet. I think Gill, Cureton out, and a RB and Winger in will do me for Jan. Bring in that spare target man on a loan deal, as it is pointless spending money that we don''t have on a player that is not going to push Holt out of this side!!

We need a striker who can score from distance, - a la Connolly, (at the moment you fancy only Martin to shoot from the edge of the penalty area.) We need a winger with pace and who can cross the ball accurately, in fact, having seen Lappin get past the left back on the right wing and cross with his right foot to create a goal, I would think that accuracy in height, length and direction is the main need.In fact, if by January we are still in the promotion race with a good prospect of promotion, reinforcement anywhere, except possibly left back, would be good. We would certainly need a number of signings if we gained promotion.

We need another option in attack: pace outwide. Don''t get me wrong the diamond system is working well at the moment but we need a plan b and c.Changing to a flat 4 doesn''t mean Wes will be dropped, he could play off Holt just as he did against Charlton

I, in general, feel that nowerdays wages are more of a problem than fees, so I''ll go with that being the main restraint.

If I was allowed only one signing then it would be a quick winger to play on the right.

Otherwise I would like to see:

Cureton out for a striker of a similar style (quick and/or poacher).

Otsemobor out and a cheaper, more defensive right back in.

This is simply because I feel these two should have squad roles and are likely to be rather higher paid than this position deserves.

Didn''t think i''d get away with the ''keen eye for goal'' comment re Holt!!

But he gets himself in such good positions and gets on the end of so many crosses i feel he could have an even higher conversion rate. If he could do that, he would have been in a higher league than this long ago. He is already 28 remember. I''m just nit picking really - realise if he was really clinical, he''d be akin to Alan Shearer in his prime and wouldn''t be playing for us!

[quote user="Jimhechip"]

GK surely?

Forster perhaps going back, Rudd injured leaving Theo and Steer!!!!!!!!

[/quote]

He asked who we should get in January...

As we now have Forster until the end of the season and we have Rudd (and dare I say Theo as well!) and Steer in wings I doubt very much that he will waste money/time on a GK,

Smith to finally go walkies........

That''s all this club needs in order to move forward......

Working on the assumption we have no ££££ I expect Lambert to get rid of some of the deadwood and bring in as much quality as the freed up funds would allow, so sell/loan out:TheokiltisCuretonWhalleyGill OtsemoborBring in a RB, Winger and Striker.

Except perhaps Cureton, those leaving wouldn''t bring in much money (and Cureton would be mainly wages saved).

I''d like to see a tall, pacey striker who can also play out wide. I wouldn''t change too much of a winning squad and with Rudd away on England duty, we still need Theoklitos as cover. Other than Cody and Semmy, there isn''t much pace. I thought Whaley might be an answer, but that hasn''t worked out so someone else is needed.

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"]Working on the assumption we have no ££££ I expect Lambert to get rid of some of the deadwood and bring in as much quality as the freed up funds would allow, so sell/loan out:

Theokiltis
Cureton
Whalley
Gill
Otsemobor

Bring in a RB, Winger and Striker.

[/quote]

I would be really quite surprised if Otsemobor was sold.

Despite the fact he''s not very well liked by a lot of the fans I would think he''s still regarded as the first choice right back.

Why do people think we need more strikers scoring goals isnt a problem for us that momment, we are top scorers in the division and have Cody on the bench as cover. If and when one of the strikers gets injured then we''d be better to loan one in. I''d like to see someone brought in who would potentially step up in the future and take one of the centre back slots if we get promoted, so a young centre back with alittle pace would be good and maybe a wide player to give us something different. Apart from that if we bulk up to much all i can see happening is players getting frustrated and agitated at not playing.

[quote user="The gut"]My almost realistic wish would be for the club to their utmost (not by selling any of our current starting 11) to get Alan Lee. I think he would be the perfect partner for Holt (sorry Chris) and no defence in this league would be able to cope with those two. He would still be putting pressure on the centre backs when Holt goes a roaming (not a criticism). If we lost Wes for any reason he would be the best target man for any style of play we adapted to, probably the best in this league. With him in the side we would find it easier to cope if anything happened to Holt (and vice versa). I reckon he''d be a good man to have around if things get tough later in the season. He would be capable of performing in the championship if we were promoted. I''d give the club my rebate again if they would put it towards his signing! [/quote]

Another big(ish) striker imo.  In this division you can bodge the defence up if we''re short.  But it''s harder to score goals if we have a forward problem.  If you see what I mean.

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"]Why do people think we need more strikers scoring goals isnt a problem for us that momment, we are top scorers in the division and have Cody on the bench as cover. If and when one of the strikers gets injured then we''d be better to loan one in. I''d like to see someone brought in who would potentially step up in the future and take one of the centre back slots if we get promoted, so a young centre back with alittle pace would be good and maybe a wide player to give us something different. Apart from that if we bulk up to much all i can see happening is players getting frustrated and agitated at not playing.[/quote]Normally I''d agree, if we were in the Championship.  As we''re in this division looking to kick on to promotion another  striker gets my vote.