Sign in to follow this  
USAcanary

Some thoughts on todays signing, Russell Martin

firstly his name will be a commentators nightmare

We have Martin, we have Russell, now we have Russell Martin...........

He had better get a nick name quickly!

From reading between the lines this is not a typical loan deal like Forster.

The fact we can play him in all competitions suggests this is already a permanent done deal.

(like the Etuhu deal with Preston)

In his interview today Martin never hesitated when asked if he wanted to stay on a permanent basis.

The stock answer from loan players is normally to see how things go.

He said hopefully Norwich would sign him on a permanent basis. End of

IMHO it''s already a done deal.

He mentioned that Norwich (McNally?) and Barry Fry spent a couple of days working out a deal which suggests its more than a typical loan deal.

I think this deal suggests what we already knew.

Lambert doesn''t rate Semi. And is only playing him because he had no options left.

Bringing in Martin may give us the option of selling Semi in Jan if Spillane comes back.
Spillane would be a great bench player who can fill in a number of positions.

Who in their right mind would sign Semmy though??? The blokes had about 3 good games in a season and a half, thought he was decent his first season with us in his defense but unless Crewe were to come back in for him I duno who''d take him on.

I agree with you, sounds a done deal.  Lets hope he is a good player.  And also he must not be playing in the Posh team because why would you let your captain who gained promotion as being captain go out on loan?

[quote user="Lambo"]Who in their right mind would sign Semmy though??? The blokes had about 3 good games in a season and a half, thought he was decent his first season with us in his defense but unless Crewe were to come back in for him I duno who''d take him on.[/quote]

We did ...

[quote user="Lambo"]Who in their right mind would sign Semmy though??? The blokes had about 3 good games in a season and a half, thought he was decent his first season with us in his defense but unless Crewe were to come back in for him I duno who''d take him on.[/quote]

We Have Managed To Get Whaley Out On Loan To 2 Different Clubs, So We Will Be Able To Sell Semi Easy! [:P]

Just for interest Russell Martin did an interview on CW today

When asked if he knew any of the players at the club he said he didn''t except Gary Holt (ex-Wycombe connection)

He did mention that Gary had been helping him find a place in the area.

It seem strange that a "loan player" who is "only" here for the next month is looking for a place in the area!

Wink wink, nudge nudge............ say no more!

[quote user="Jen_Jen "]

We Have Managed To Get Whaley Out On Loan To 2 Different Clubs, So We Will Be Able To Sell Semi Easy! [:P]

[/quote]

And to be fair to Simon Whaley he has done pretty well at both clubs. He looks a class above LG2

The problem is his style and attitude don''t fit into what Paul Lambert is trying to build at the club.

Lambert has made that perfectly clear that team spirit/attitude is very important when talking about Whaley.

I predict Whaley will be let go in Jan to get his wages off the books.

I''ve no doubt that this will become a permanent deal. My first thought was that Posh were offloading some of their higher earners in anticipation of relegation, but it seems to me that they have no financial worries as they announced today a profit of nearly 6 million pounds on a turnover of 32 million. It appears that they are a very well-run club.  

[quote user="USAcanary"]

Just for interest Russell Martin did an interview on CW today

When asked if he knew any of the players at the club he said he didn''t except Gary Holt (ex-Wycombe connection)He did mention that Gary had been helping him find a place in the area.

It seem strange that a "loan player" who is "only" here for the next month is looking for a place in the area!

Wink wink, nudge nudge............ say no more!

[/quote]grant i think you mean

I''m looking forward to the live coverage on Radio Norfolk now...

"Russell, to Martin, back to Russell, to Russell Martin, who chips it to Chris Martin, who passes it back to Russell, who has a one two with Russell Martin, "

Could get confusing...hehe

Hairycanary - actually I think it is Gary and not grant. Grant never played for Wycombe. USA canary has just muddled up his quote slightly, or, as is quite likely, Russell martin has said something and not fully explained himself, I.e missed out the fact he doesn''t know any Norwich players

I think lambo pretty much confirms what we all think:

"I could''ve gone for a loan and looked at other people, but when I heard Russell was coming available I thought, "yes, lets try and do it.""

This quote, plus his being free to play in the fa cup plus the fact lambo has made it clear he is not a fan of loan deals makes it a clear cut thing to me, martin is here for the long haul.

[quote user="USAcanary"]firstly his name will be a commentators nightmare

We have Martin, we have Russell, now we have Russell Martin...........

He had better get a nick name quickly!

From reading between the lines this is not a typical loan deal like Forster.

The fact we can play him in all competitions suggests this is already a permanent done deal.

(like the Etuhu deal with Preston)

In his interview today Martin never hesitated when asked if he wanted to stay on a permanent basis.

The stock answer from loan players is normally to see how things go.

He said hopefully Norwich would sign him on a permanent basis. End of

IMHO it''s already a done deal.

He mentioned that Norwich (McNally?) and Barry Fry spent a couple of days working out a deal which suggests its more than a typical loan deal.

I think this deal suggests what we already knew.

Lambert doesn''t rate Semi. And is only playing him because he had no options left.

Bringing in Martin may give us the option of selling Semi in Jan if Spillane comes back.
Spillane would be a great bench player who can fill in a number of positions.[/quote]

Well thanks for your insight but it has already been all said on the Russell Martin thread. It''s not too hard to find, first page, about halfway down, entitled "Russell Martin" funnily enough.

Have mentioned this on the other Russel AMrtin thread, but have noticed that his loan finishes on his 24th birthday... you know what that means through the Bosman ruling...? Less cash to pay to Posh if a permanent move. Gotta keep and eye on Lambert, he''s no fool!!

[quote user="B-ru"]Have mentioned this on the other Russel AMrtin thread, but have noticed that his loan finishes on his 24th birthday... you know what that means through the Bosman ruling...? Less cash to pay to Posh if a permanent move. Gotta keep and eye on Lambert, he''s no fool!![/quote]According to the article on the home page he''s still got 18 months on his Posh contract so I don''t think that will play much of a factor.

So a good young RB, captained and an ever present in a League 1 promotion side. will only have one year left after this season. Posh wouldn''t have let him come here on loan if he wasn''t needed and/or he wanted to come here. So they now have a player that is wanting away to another club, they will lose their Bosman "training" cash part of the deal and he could wait and run down his contract...he will sign in January on permanent if he doesn''t get injured