Sign in to follow this  
Hucka Hucka Huckerby

Russell Martin

Dont know alot about him but he can''t be that bad if he was in Peterboroughs league 1 promotion team last year and Lambert and co clearly know him inside out from Wycombe days. He was captain last year for Posh so i''m guessing he has leadership quality. Sounds like it could be a good capture for this level.

[quote user="Michael Starr"]Dont know alot about him but he can''t be that bad if he was in Peterboroughs league 1 promotion team last year and Lambert and co clearly know him inside out from Wycombe days. He was captain last year for Posh so i''m guessing he has leadership quality. Sounds like it could be a good capture for this level.
[/quote]

If Lambert rates him, then so do I...........welcome aboard Russell.[Y]

Lambert has taken a long time over this, so it seems a considered judgment. Martin played under him and Ian Culverhouse at Wycombe, so they know what they are getting and I think IC knows a good RB when he sees one! Seems a sensible signing, especially with the ability to cover at CB, LB and MF in an emergency.

The article about him on the Official site seems to suggest that it''s a loan with a view to a permanent signing. Good move, IMO.

I rate this guy (for what that''s worth!).  I think he''s a good solid signing for us and, providing he fits in and does well during his loan spell, I''d be delighted if it were turned into a permanent move in January.

Also seems like the Seabourne story is refusing to die - perhaps something may happen there too in January.

All positive signs for our squad.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Captain of Posh in the promotion campaign, not sure why he''s not playing this season but sounds a solid signing at this level[/quote]has been found wanting at Div 2 level. More then cut out for this league though. Hopefully that will be it for Otsemobor now.

[quote user="fonejacker"][quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Captain of Posh in the promotion campaign, not sure why he''s not playing this season but sounds a solid signing at this level[/quote]has been found wanting at Div 2 level. More then cut out for this league though. Hopefully that will be it for Otsemobor now.[/quote]and at 23, a player who has captaincy experience, if given the right coaching could develop hugely. He does the basics properly and id rather a sensible and steady player that can develop than a player such as otsemobor.

[quote user="fonejacker"][quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Captain of Posh in the promotion campaign, not sure why he''s not playing this season but sounds a solid signing at this level[/quote]has been found wanting at Div 2 level. More then cut out for this league though. Hopefully that will be it for Otsemobor now.[/quote]If that''s true we''ll have to cross that bridge when it comes to it, we''ve got to get out of this league first, he''ll do a decent job at right back and is a leader

Just spoke to my mate who''s a Posh fan. Apparently Martin is a very solid player with good distribution. He''s not the bombing on type but does a good job with minimal fuss. He was their skipper and was excellent in the promotion season.

Interestingly, Posh have apparently just sent their other promotion winning fullback, Williams, to QPR on loan.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

Just spoke to my mate who''s a Posh fan. Apparently Martin is a very solid player with good distribution. He''s not the bombing on type but does a good job with minimal fuss. He was their skipper and was excellent in the promotion season.

Interestingly, Posh have apparently just sent their other promotion winning fullback, Williams, to QPR on loan.

[/quote]

Only one problem I can see Beau.  If Lambo''s going to stick to the diamond then we need a bombing on type.  I think he''ll stick with Semi, especially after last nights performance, and use Martin as backup (unless of course, Semi goes to sleep again).

[quote user="Scooby"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

Only one problem I can see Beau.  If Lambo''s going to stick to the diamond then we need a bombing on type.  I think he''ll stick with Semi, especially after last nights performance, and use Martin as backup (unless of course, Semi goes to sleep again).

[/quote]

Why is everyone convinced Semi played well last night? He was average at best and whilst for one he did not cost us a goal he was far from convincing. If lambert is bringing a right back in i very much suspect it will be to replace Semi. I agree though with our formation right back is an outlet and if Martin does not get forward it may constrain us. Maybe we''ll play Martin away in the games where we need to keep it a bit tighter and Semi in other games.

Key thing here is that PL knows him and knows him well. And that means he knows he can do a job for us, which is good enough for me. I''m not keen on us signing players we or rather the management team don''t really know enough about, e.g. Whaley, Maric

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="Scooby"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Why is everyone convinced Semi played well last night? He was average at best and whilst for one he did not cost us a goal he was far from convincing. If lambert is bringing a right back in i very much suspect it will be to replace Semi. I agree though with our formation right back is an outlet and if Martin does not get forward it may constrain us. Maybe we''ll play Martin away in the games where we need to keep it a bit tighter and Semi in other games.

[/quote]

Semi is great in games that we expect to win and thus he can bomb forward, as I have said before, but in games where we are under constant pressure, such as the Leeds game, he is awful. Thus I agree with you that Martin will be used where better defending is a must, in my view though, mainly against top-six teams.

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="Scooby"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Erm?? Because Semi was excellent last night.  Very solid in defence for a change and still got forward.

[quote user="Scooby"][quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="Scooby"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Erm?? Because Semi was excellent last night.  Very solid in defence for a change and still got forward.

[/quote]

I can''t imagine that he had to do that much defending under pressure bearing in mind the result.

So if Russell Martin plays and Chris Martin plays... will there be C Martin and R Martin oon the backs of their shirts now?

For those who think Semi played well last night, what was going through your mind when he had the ball knicked off him a couple of times for taking so long to play it forward, or when he was beaten for pace(there''s no way he is as quick as last year). I am intrigued to hear what he did that was better than average, apart from crossing into the box from deep I can''t think of anything he did that was above the norm from his usual sleepy performances....

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

[quote user="First Wizard"]As he hasn''t been cup tied its almost certainly a permanent signing.[/quote]

I think you are right with that, given that he can play in the JPT and the FA Cup.

[/quote]

His comments seem to indicate that he has come to stay at a "bigger club".

[quote user="Canarygeorge"]Seems like an excellent signing, but could be a commentators nightmare, with Chris Martin, Darel Russell & Russell Martin all playing! lol.[/quote]

It should be a bit easier with not having to worry about pronouncing Otsemobor though !!  [:D]

Not too fussed about what the posh fans think of him.Facts are that he was captain of a promotion winning team in League 1.  We are in League 1 therefore thats as far as we should look.   No point in looking too far ahead, if he helps us get out of this league then he will be a decent signing.   Sounds like he could be a steady RB which is something we haven''t had for a number of years, plus he will have better players around him (I know Posh are in the championship but most of their players are L1 level and are punching way above their weight).

[quote user="B-ru"]

So if Russell Martin plays and Chris Martin plays... will there be C Martin and R Martin oon the backs of their shirts now?

For those who think Semi played well last night, what was going through your mind when he had the ball knicked off him a couple of times for taking so long to play it forward, or when he was beaten for pace(there''s no way he is as quick as last year). I am intrigued to hear what he did that was better than average, apart from crossing into the box from deep I can''t think of anything he did that was above the norm from his usual sleepy performances....

[/quote]Jon Otsemebor was very consistent last night.   Everytime he got the ball he either held it for too long and allowed himself to be closed down or he was putting balls into the opposition half and picking out a Brighton player every single time.   One of his most consistent performances I thought.

[quote user="First Jedi"]Leadership qualities?! What is Lambert playing at?! This is Norwich! We retired the captains armband with Malky!
[/quote]

Grant Holt?