Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Would you put our new loanees in the team for our next league game?

I don''t believe in the "you can''t change a winning team..." bollocks - even if you were the invincibles, the only way to keep winning is to change - keep good players rested, keep bad players on their toes - whatever. To not change is to invite stagnation and invite losing.

And yes - I do see all the benefits to keeping a steady team. But to never change it until you loose? That is very defeatist and a total cop-out of resonsibility. Stay ahead and change before you would''ve lost and stay winning! :)

I''m happy to go with whatever Lambert decides, but I do think we may have picked up a gem in Martin. My Posh supporting friend can''t believe they''ve let him go and describes him as a very solid defender who passes the ball well. The complete antithesis of Semmy then........

id bring martin into the side immediately as that has been the only postion that has changed around a lot this season. other than that keep the same side, unless the wins start to dwindle! i feel mcnamee could be a great super sub, especially in the away games where games are likely to be tighter.

its just so great to have plentiful options for a change!

I can see where Lambert is coming form with these signings. The LHS of midfield looks solid with Lappin and Drury combining well. I am not sure that Lambert is that much of a fan of Semmy. He rarely excites going forward and can be a liablity when defending. Although I am yet to see R Martin play, reports are very complimentary and it would not surprise me to see Semmy leave us in Jan with Spillane set to come back from injury.

McNamee will be a super sub that could be used to replace Korey in the second half and see the formation and therefore style of play change with Martin/Hoolahoop dropping to midfield.

I would stick Russell in straight away, and why not. When you look at our last 12 games in all competition you will see that putting Russell in is not exactly changing a winning team

Played 12 - Won 9 - Lost 1 - Drew 2

In the first 8 of these games, Semi only played once when we lost to Leeds. We won every other game in this 8 and kept 5 clean sheets

The next 4, Semi has played in all of them we have won 2 drawn 2 and kept 2 clean sheets but also let in 3 goals in our last two games. I am not at all saying that Semi is at fault for the goals but I am just saying that it would not harm the team by letting Russell slip straight in

Having Drury (safely said, the best left back at this level) and Martin (the captain of the team that finished a credible second in this league last season) either side of an on form pair of defenders in Doherty and Askou should make our defence one, if not the best in the league now.Also the fact that both of our full backs have captained sides in this league and above to promotion, should, for the first time in one hell of a long time, mean we are defensively strong on both wings. They are both solid, and both just what is needed if we hope to gain promotion (+ i find the fact that we got both of them from Peterborough a little interesting).As far as our promotion hopes are concerned, i think we need to play Martin as soon as possible, and get him settled into this defence (we can leave Otsemobor in it, but having a player lacking so much defensively will only take us so far).As for McNamee, not just yet. He doesn''t quite fit into a part of what has proven to be a very successful system. However, he will be a key player in the squad (rather than the current team) himself, as he, along with the likes of McDonald and Daley, adds another dimesion to the side. Some sides in this league will be able to accommodate playing against pacey teams, others against creative ones, but only 1 (maybe 2) can handle both. This gives us a massive advantage over other teams (chances are the likes of Tranmere, Walsall and Carlisle will no longer be able to contain us).For what it''s worth, i must say this has been some fantastic work by Lambert.

This is interesting John because it means that while we do indeed have really solid back line, the full backs are not great going forward (although Drury prob doesn''t get as much credit as he might for his forward forays).

Which makes me think PL might now be happy to go 4-4-2 with AM left and er, someone else (mcveigh, cody?) on the right. Whether he favours 4-4-2 over the current (winning) diamond i guess we''ll find out very soon.

P.S. Thanks Bruce for saving me the bother of pointing out the title thread to Keano!

I''m not so sure that Southend away would be the best debut for R Martin. Perhaps Oldham at home once he''s had a full week training with the team and an overview of the team as a whole in the nest two games. He was heavily criticised by Darren Ferguson for a bad back pass that cost them points earlier in the season and I''d hate to see him get off to a bad start with City.

I think McNamee might come on from the bench against Southend if Lambert wants to change to 4-4-2 to break down a stubborn defence or if City have to chase the game, with Korey Smith out on the right and Hughes and Russell in midfield. Should be interesting anyway.