Sign in to follow this  
Hucka Hucka Huckerby

Macnamee, Swindon opinions

Sounds a lot like Hoolahan which is good cos if hooly got injured we''d be more than buggerd. Hopefully its his under study rather than potential replacement.

He is not that young at 26 but he is skillful and pacey - easily their best player when they came to our place. I think he would battle Hoolahan for his place in a diamond midfield but can also play wing.It may well mean we are loosing Hoolahan in January but at least Lambert is addressing that before it happens if it is indeed the case.

I have very little if any regard for fans opinions on exiting players. Their opinions are very often tainted by the players exit. Frankly as well, how well one player does for one club does not necessarily dictate how he''ll do for another. From what I''ve seen of him, I think he''ll be a decent acquisition that''ll give us width and pace. But we''ll wait and see.

Sounds like he has been decent but a little off colour recently. The one thing they all seem to agree on is that on his day he can be excellent. I have faith that lambo can get the best out of him and that coming to a new club will also probably give him a bit of a boost so hopefully we will see some exciting performances from him in the next few weeks. Gives us an option we don''t currently have which is a bit of pace and trickery off the bench. I thought he looked quite a tidy little player for Swindon but was not that effective largely because of the way Swindon set up and played against us. Looked quite threatening when he came on in the JPT.

[quote user="NCFC-47"]Hoolahan must be on his way out then !
[/quote]

Why must Hoolahan be on his way out. Macnamee is a winger. We have no left wingers with any pace. His signing therefore makes perfect sense and gives us new options. Hoolahan no longer plays on the wing for us. I don''t see this signing as a sign Hooly is off at all.

I imagine he''ll be used as a sub so we can revert to 4-4-2 more easily should we wish to try and close a match out and play on the break. I understand he can play on either wing, so seems like a good addition to the squad to me.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

[quote user="NCFC-47"]Hoolahan must be on his way out then !
[/quote]

Why must Hoolahan be on his way out. Macnamee is a winger. We have no left wingers with any pace. His signing therefore makes perfect sense and gives us new options. Hoolahan no longer plays on the wing for us. I don''t see this signing as a sign Hooly is off at all.

[/quote]

Agreed mate.

Also... Exeter fans hailed Matt Gill as the best thing since sliced bread when he joined us and he''s been deemed a flop. So I wouldn''t listen to much to opposition fans.

[quote user="SimonOTBC"]I imagine he''ll be used as a sub so we can revert to 4-4-2 more easily should we wish to try and close a match out and play on the break. I understand he can play on either wing, so seems like a good addition to the squad to me.[/quote]Certainly think he would provide the option to change the system. Clearly he ''s happier on the left than the right wing and is a different player from Lappin. He might provide a bit more penetration down the flank but we seem to be slowly realising the importance of winning corner kicks (= real goal opportunities) in this division. From an old Watford site: "The brilliance of McNamee is that there is an

end product to his tricks. Plenty of players have got so far on pace

and trickery alone, but few can whip in a cross like Little Ant. It''s

no wonder there is a sense of anticipation when he gets the ball, and

even more so when he works his way into a crossing position. The

problem is the same as it''s always been: He doesn''t get the ball very

often.
That, and the fact that he cannot defend to save his life.."I would be a little worried if we gave up completely on Lappin''s dual defensive role at the present time but as a sub to mix it up a bit when the opposition is tiring, could work well..

And from a Watford chum: Fast but too small. He used to play

in the Subuteo league and Watford kept him on a key ring. He once scored an overhead kick to knock West Ham out of

the FA Cup - ball bounced at about shoulder height for everybody

else.

Seemed to recall that he used to

struggle to play a full 90 minutes.
Does not sound like the best player to catapult Norwich

back into the heady heights of The Championship...But that was then - and a good manager can change a player. (If not his lack of height).

[quote user="Binky"]And from a Watford chum: Fast but too small. He used to play

in the Subuteo league and Watford kept him on a key ring. He once scored an overhead kick to knock West Ham out of

the FA Cup - ball bounced at about shoulder height for everybody

else.

Seemed to recall that he used to

struggle to play a full 90 minutes.
Does not sound like the best player to catapult Norwich

back into the heady heights of The Championship...But that was then - and a good manager can change a player. (If not his lack of height).
[/quote]That Sean Wright-Phillips is rubbish too, ent ee.

Creative player coming in which is always a nice bonus !He does sound similar to Wes, I dunno why people think Macca''s arrival is gospel for Wes going, after all... if Wes takes another long term injury... many would argue we have no cover !Im excited to see what the guy can do !And Re: Good point regarding Matty Gill and opposition fans, my mates an Exeter fan and still says that if we want Seabourne we need only offer Matty Gill and about 100k and he as a fan would be happy !!!

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]Interesting read, but fans are always a bit less than flattering about a player who might be leaving, as many of us were about Croft when he left.[/quote]to be fair he was crap.McNamee is quick and he can deliver a cross but there is a clear reason why he is still in league 1 and dropped down a level from watford, his touch and inconsistancy. Luckily, i think if you get him on form, not many full backs will match him for pace, so he will be creative in this division.

Binky stated:

From an old Watford site: "The brilliance of McNamee is that there is an end product to his tricks. Plenty of players have got so far on pace and trickery alone, but few can whip in a cross like Little Ant. It''s no wonder there is a sense of anticipation when he gets the ball, and even more so when he works his way into a crossing position. The problem is the same as it''s always been: He doesn''t get the ball very often.That, and the fact that he cannot defend to save his life.."

Tangy replied:

Is he a Division 1 version of Huckerby?

Useful for unlocking packed opposition defences when we play at home.

1 of those players who divides opinion and frustrates, on his day there aren''t too many better wingers around at this level. I''m confident that at Carrow Road on our carpet of a pitch and with the players he''ll have around him, we''ll see the best of him.