Sign in to follow this  
Robornio

Left off the UK Map in 2018

It''s quite a sad to see not a single stadium in the East of England selected for the 2018 World Cup bid. I know it has been mentioned, the minimum size of stadium allowance, the cost to modify stands, the sustainability of building post-World Cup etc. But surely the amount of revenue brought in to the area from such an occasion (Football World Cup being the biggest economy boosting sports event in the world, even more than the Olympics) would work out beneficial to all industries local.

Take Bristol for example; it''s not the football club that takes the burden of the bill, but the regional council have pledged their full support and finance behind the project so that they are included and can benefit from the extra tourism and increased media coverage (i.e. the more well known the area, the more likely people to visit in the future or be attracted to living there). Besides, they are building a new stadium from scratch, whereas Carrow Road would only require the Jarold and Arthur Watling Stands to be upgraded. Haven''t Norfolk CC seriously considered following suit?? It''s not as if we wouldn''t fill a larger stadium either, with ability to probably fill 35,000+, and then considering events, concerts (like the Emirates).

I''ve also noticed that we seem to be gradually cut off the map; take the BBC report for example: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/8379471.stm

I never realised we had a square coast-line in Norfolk. And why are all our prospective stadiums (excluding Plymouth, Hull & Bristol) right down the middle of the country? I seriously can''t see us winning a bid when one of the requiring plus-factors is geographical coverage of a host country.

I think it''s a shame it wasn''t even considered.

I really ahte to say this but... if they were to consdier something on the eastern side of england..perhapos the scum stadium would get a look in because of its capacity? grrr.

I think transport routes may also be a problem, Norfolk is a pain in the backside to get to and the roads would be rammed. Think about thousands of extra people trying to travel through Elevden on the A11! Its a nightmare as it is!

From a stadium point of view, I think you are right, we could expand and like you say continue to use the facilities in the future. The council could have had a greater influence but they may not see a one off event as a big deal, whereas with some of the other long term projects they may think the focus should lie elsewhere.

[quote user="eagle"]

I think transport routes may also be a problem, Norfolk is a pain in the backside to get to and the roads would be rammed. Think about thousands of extra people trying to travel through Elevden on the A11! Its a nightmare as it is!

From a stadium point of view, I think you are right, we could expand and like you say continue to use the facilities in the future. The council could have had a greater influence but they may not see a one off event as a big deal, whereas with some of the other long term projects they may think the focus should lie elsewhere.

[/quote]The world cup games are 2018 the dualling from Thetford to Barton Mills is due to be finished in 2012 so that would not be an issue.

[quote user="IncH_HigH"][quote user="eagle"]

[/quote]

The world cup games are 2018 the dualling from Thetford to Barton Mills is due to be finished in 2012 so that would not be an issue.
[/quote]

Cool, sorry I didn''t relaise that. It''s a pain in the arse every time I go to London for work!

Notice that in that report most stadiums are "yet to be built" or "redeveloped" - some of the newer stadiums just need an extra tier or two adding to existing stands. At the end of the day I think a decision to bid is based on the willingness and support of the local council involved as well as the football club/s themselves. Seems we just could not be bothered.

BTW, The scum could not bid as they are not a city.

Don''t you need 40,000 for a World Cup stadium?, I can''t believe some of the small time clubs bidding for these stadiums- they can''t even fill their poxy grounds now let alone 40,000 seats.

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"]

Notice that in that report most stadiums are "yet to be built" or "redeveloped" - some of the newer stadiums just need an extra tier or two adding to existing stands. At the end of the day I think a decision to bid is based on the willingness and support of the local council involved as well as the football club/s themselves. Seems we just could not be bothered.

BTW, The scum could not bid as they are not a city.

[/quote]

Or the likes of M K as seen on Anglia news the other night, but I think if we were to extend our ground I would rather it be our own and not the Council''s help, think what that would mean to the club being back in the grips of local council   

[quote user="norfolkchance1"]Don''t you need 40,000 for a World Cup stadium?, I can''t believe some of the small time clubs bidding for these stadiums- they can''t even fill their poxy grounds now let alone 40,000 seats.[/quote]

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=minimum+requirements+for+a+world+cup+football+stadium

Also, the OP was kind enough to link to a BBC report regarding those "poxy clubs", it will answer your question if you read it.

It''s just another product of the same type of small thinking over recent years that has dumped us back in the Third Division for the first time since 1959-60.

OTBC

".....when we do get back to the Premier League, we will need a stadium capacity of between 35 and 40,000."  (David McNally)

Well, there''s the proof of sustainability. And considering 2018 is nearly 8 years off, if our ''3-year plan'' is to succeed, we surely could have been included as one of the prospective host cities. Sad [:(]

I was under the impression that a motorway connection is essential to any application. Dualing the A11 wouldn''t be enough.

That''s why we didn''t even bother.

Can anyone confirm this?

I think the government are looking long term and think that east anglia will be underwater because of Global Warming. I heard a Rumour that they are gonna build a new stadium in Gloucestershire .

[quote user="eagle"]

[/quote]

The public enquiry re the dualling of the last single carriageway (in each direction) of the A11 between Thetford and the Five Ways roundabout near Mildenhall / Lakenheath is happening right now. If all goes well the construction work will start late 2010 so long as the new government doesn''t interfere! Lets hope the Department for Transport and the construction company sign the contract before the next election.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Unfortunately, Norfolk is isolated and it takes a good couple of hours before you actually hit a decent road and the rest of the country[/quote]That''s true, some villages still have gas lights and K1 red telephone boxes.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Unfortunately, Norfolk is isolated and it takes a good couple of hours before you actually hit a decent road and the rest of the country
[/quote]

Not true, the A11 is a decent road compared to a lot of dual carriageways. The only part that lets it down is the crappy part in suffolk. The A47 on the other hand is nearly all bad.

[quote user="Robornio"]

It''s quite a sad to see not a single stadium in the East of England selected for the 2018 World Cup bid. I know it has been mentioned, the minimum size of stadium allowance, the cost to modify stands, the sustainability of building post-World Cup etc. But surely the amount of revenue brought in to the area from such an occasion (Football World Cup being the biggest economy boosting sports event in the world, even more than the Olympics) would work out beneficial to all industries local.

Take Bristol for example; it''s not the football club that takes the burden of the bill, but the regional council have pledged their full support and finance behind the project so that they are included and can benefit from the extra tourism and increased media coverage (i.e. the more well known the area, the more likely people to visit in the future or be attracted to living there). Besides, they are building a new stadium from scratch, whereas Carrow Road would only require the Jarold and Arthur Watling Stands to be upgraded. Haven''t Norfolk CC seriously considered following suit?? It''s not as if we wouldn''t fill a larger stadium either, with ability to probably fill 35,000+, and then considering events, concerts (like the Emirates).

I''ve also noticed that we seem to be gradually cut off the map; take the BBC report for example: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/8379471.stm

I never realised we had a square coast-line in Norfolk. And why are all our prospective stadiums (excluding Plymouth, Hull & Bristol) right down the middle of the country? I seriously can''t see us winning a bid when one of the requiring plus-factors is geographical coverage of a host country.

[/quote]

Bristol City are paying for their new 30k stadium but their council is paying for the extra seating to make it 40k+ if they are selected as a World Cup venue.

It would have been a good opportunity to get CR increased to 40k at no extra expense to the club.

They are trying to say now that Hull will be representing the East. Mind you, look at Anglia and BBC local news and they have MK as East Anglia, so in their eyes, we are represented. I would have thought that Ipswich would have gone for it, they have an unhealthy relationship with the sweet FA and they would only need to get another 10000 and they would be there.

But like someone said, none of the stadia in East Anglia would get a decent game.

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"]

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Unfortunately, Norfolk is isolated and it takes a good couple of hours before you actually hit a decent road and the rest of the country[/quote]

Not true, the A11 is a decent road compared to a lot of dual carriageways. The only part that lets it down is the crappy part in suffolk. The A47 on the other hand is nearly all bad.

[/quote]Doesn''t alter the fact Norwich is 2 hours away from anwhere.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"][quote user="Mustachio Furioso"]

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Unfortunately, Norfolk is isolated and it takes a good couple of hours before you actually hit a decent road and the rest of the country
[/quote]

[/quote]

Doesn''t alter the fact Norwich is 2 hours away from anwhere.
[/quote]

According to the AA. Hopefully once the A11 is completely dualled perhaps the powers that be could concentrate on the A47, a proper dual carriageway from Norwich to Peterborough would be a godsend to a lot of people.

It was up to the city council and football club to put a bid in, it''s not the case of the FA or the bid team ignoring us. Personally i wouldn''t want the legay of a half full 40000 capacity stadium either. It''s hard enough to get an atmosphere going at a packed carrow road as it is!

[quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="Robornio"]

[/quote]

Bristol City are paying for their new 30k stadium but their council is paying for the extra seating to make it 40k+ if they are selected as a World Cup venue.

It would have been a good opportunity to get CR increased to 40k at no extra expense to the club.

[/quote]

Exactly so.

I bet that Robert Chase would have gone for it!

The road infrastucture  would be hardly here or there for a couple of low profile and probably poorly attended matches. And in any event having a world cup stadium would be far more likely to catalyze significant road improvements than not having one.

The club and county council would have had all to gain and little to lose by going for it. Investment follows infrastucture.

But small-thinking and prudence rather than ambition rule the day.

OTBC

Southampton are trying to mount a late bid to get their City into the 2018 WC after Portsmouth have now dropped out, so there is still hope for us.... mind you I just don''t think Norwich Council has the ambition and drive to construct such a bid.

[quote user="Wembley_Canary"]Southampton are trying to mount a late bid to get their City into the 2018 WC after Portsmouth have now dropped out, so there is still hope for us.... mind you I just don''t think Norwich Council has the ambition and drive to construct such a bid.
[/quote]

Nor the current owners of NCFC.

[:''(]

OTBC