Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Beckford's playing up!

Okay, not strickly City...........but it concerns us, here''s the Mirror article:

In an age of increasing player power, it''s refreshing to see Leeds stand up to Jermaine Beckford.

Beckford has ideas above his station and feels he has outgrown Leeds, which is interesting considering they picked him up from non-league Wealdstone.

The striker has rejected Leeds'' offer of a new deal at Elland Road in the hope a Bolton or a Newcastle will swoop for him in January.

Ken Bates and Simon Grayson''s response has been to tell him he won''t be leaving before the end of the season, even if it means losing him on a free when his contract runs out in the summer.

Their stance should be applauded and they have cleverly put the onus on Beckford to keep himself in the shop window by scoring the goals to win Leeds promotion.

Not forgetting the last part of the piece:

Beckford is deluded if he thinks he is Premier League class and he is a poor man''s Andy Cole, who needs two or three chances to score one.

He has a lot of improving to do before he could cut it in the top flight and if he has any sense, he will stick with Leeds and continue his education under the excellent Grayson

I''m not going to deny that the lad can score goals, but he''s nothing close to the finished article yet. I think he has taken too much notice of a greedy agent.

[quote user="jammis"]

Not forgetting the last part of the piece:

Beckford is deluded if he thinks he is Premier League class and he is a poor man''s Andy Cole, who needs two or three chances to score one.

He has a lot of improving to do before he could cut it in the top flight and if he has any sense, he will stick with Leeds and continue his education under the excellent Grayson

I''m not going to deny that the lad can score goals, but he''s nothing close to the finished article yet. I think he has taken too much notice of a greedy agent.

[/quote]Glad somebody else noticed the similarity!

[quote user="Colchester Canary"]

I''m hoping Leeds buckle and sell him for 2m in Jan to a small Prem team who go on to get relegated.

With him out of their team would be good for all other L1 teams

[/quote]

Rather he go t a prem team, and rot in their reserves, at least that way if we get promoted we won''t have to face him next year!

If Leeds keep him for the rest of the season they will have an unhappy player on their hands. That has to be bad for Leeds team spirit and great for us, as it improves our chances of overhauling them for top spot.  

[quote user="paul moy"]If Leeds keep him for the rest of the season they will have an unhappy player on their hands. That has to be bad for Leeds team spirit and great for us, as it improves our chances of overhauling them for top spot.  [/quote]

Please don''t tell spainboy

direct quote from a scout- He is *" Sh1t scout then

former liverpool, celtic and spurs...not too bad

John Barnes was not a bad player too!!!!!

Few people will agree I suspect, but top spot is becoming more and more irrelevant, even at this early stage. It''s clearly not impossible to overhaul Leeds for the title but if we assume that they are very very likely to be in the top two at the end of the season, then I am increasingly coming round to the idea that it is better that Leeds win every game (apart from their next one at Carrow Rd) and take all possible points out of the division, than they drop points here and there to teams that may or may not come to challenge us for top six or top two places.

I can now expect the usual moronic ''twat'' comments but the end aim this season has to be top two, not top one, and Leeds winning matches is increasingly becoming a boost to this aim, rather than an impediment.

[quote user="The 12th Devine"]Few people will agree I suspect, but top spot is becoming more and more irrelevant, even at this early stage. It''s clearly not impossible to overhaul Leeds for the title but if we assume that they are very very likely to be in the top two at the end of the season, then I am increasingly coming round to the idea that it is better that Leeds win every game (apart from their next one at Carrow Rd) and take all possible points out of the division, than they drop points here and there to teams that may or may not come to challenge us for top six or top two places. I can now expect the usual moronic ''twat'' comments but the end aim this season has to be top two, not top one, and Leeds winning matches is increasingly becoming a boost to this aim, rather than an impediment.[/quote]

I don''t think I would have a couple of weeks ago but I do actually agree with you. I think Leeds are going to be uncatchable so better they take points from those other main contenders and we concentrate on the other automatic promotion spot. As much as I would love Norwich to win the league, I''m much more concerned about getting out of this division so if that means Leeds running away with it then so be it. As long as we beat them at Carrow Road that is!

With a bit of luck he will go in January, and Lisbie will go back to Ipswich, making our rivals much weaker. 

As for Beckford....?

Well, he has played at a higher level, he was at Leeds when they were last in the Championship and was atrocious-hence their initially shipping him out to Scunthorpe (then in League 1) more in hope than expectation.

He found his form and level there and got them up-then came back to Leeds, where, again, he has found his level and "his" club. If they sell him on or he moves on to a higher division, he''ll be found out soon enough, and, as for him playing in the Premiership-nowhere near good enough.

My "other" team Wealdstone, have a 20/25% (not sure which) sell on clause on Jermaine Beckford and as original transfer price was £50,000, so that''s a huge bundle cash for a hard-up non league club. His contract expires at the end of the season and this is the main reason I don''t want him to run his contract down.

I think Leeds will be easily good enough to go up without Beckford.

I suspect that, contrary to the bluff and bluster coming from Ken Bates, *if* Leeds get a bid of £2 Million for Beckford come January, he''ll be off.

No-one should believe the words of a Chairman when it comes to a striker coming or going, we all remember one saying, quite clearly and forcefully, "...if Chris Sutton isn''t here at the beginning of next season, then neither will I be..." -well, Sutton wasn''t and he still was!

Every player has his price, Man Utd realised that with Ronaldo, and Leeds are no different. The thing is, they have a team where all the players are capable of getting goals-and, with Becchio fit again, and the possibility they will keep Vokes until the end of the season, they''ll still be good enough and still get the goals. Besides, just as we did, they can always sign Ashley Ward to replace their "not for sale" striker!

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="canarytom"]This should be in the ''other football'' forum[/quote]Oh, get a life![/quote]Well Said [:)][quote user="SimonOTBC"]In addition to it being at the third attempt

and gifted to him, it was semi who got the final touch. It could well

have been going to Forster or even wide until that point.[/quote]EXACTLY! [:|]He had it layed on a plate for him, and still imo did not score it.Of what ive seen of him, he scores tap ins, and misses soooo many chances, thats also what a friend who supports  leeds says.

[quote user="Brendan"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="canarytom"]This should be in the ''other football'' forum[/quote]Oh, get a life![/quote]Well Said [:)][quote user="SimonOTBC"]In addition to it being at the third attempt

and gifted to him, it was semi who got the final touch. It could well

have been going to Forster or even wide until that point.[/quote]EXACTLY! [:|]He had it layed on a plate for him, and still imo did not score it.Of what ive seen of him, he scores tap ins, and misses soooo many chances, thats also what a friend who supports  leeds says. [/quote]If you call these tap-in''s http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP0XbD_Avh0&feature=related then i love to see a few screamers[;)]Being honest, if he left then sure we would miss him, but no man is bigger than the club and i''m sure we''d do better than if we''d have lost him at the same point last season.Good luck to you guys, if we do manage to go up, i hope you lot join us.