Sign in to follow this  
Freddy H

McVeigh & Mulryne

I don''t want to be too critical of the team because they played very well for 65 minutes today.  However I was not at all impressed with Paul McVeigh and Phil Mulryne, although I will let Mullers off a bit because he is not fully fit.  I thought that they both were lacking the desire to put in the full effort today.  I was especially disappointed with McVeigh, if I were playing against my former club, I am sure that I would be giving my all to try and prove that I was good enough to still play for them. 

I really cannot see a first team future for these two when all the midfielders are fit.  Holt and Francis will graft their hearts out for the team, Safri and Helveg have vision and passing ability, Bentley & Johnson have that bit of class we need; McVeigh and Mulryne have a poor attitude to hard work and so their vision and passing ability suffer.

Its really frustrating because they have both been top quality players in the past, why cant they do it now?  Honest opinion time, would YOU pick them as regular starters if all the midfielders are fit?

They were top quality players for us when we were an avarage 1st Division team.

Mind you I think we should judge them after the Boro game as they will get to play from the start. It must be hard coming on unexpectidly in the middle of a fast game.

I think you are exactly right Freddy.  I''m afraid I don''t think Mullers and WLY are good enough for starting places in a Premiership team.  A good 1st Div side yes.  But I''m not so sure they have what it takes for the top flight.

Unfortunately, given our squad size, we haven''t got much choice but to play them

Freddy how can you say Helveg has passing ability and Mulryne doesnt. Mulryne has the best footballing brain at the club and is very calm on the ball in my opinion he is one of the best passers of the ball. Helveg cannot pass to save his life and gives away the ball loads doesnt look calm on the ball.

I think youre talking rubbish mate and someone needs to tell you that.

Dom, that''s crap.

Helveg''s been playing very well considering it''s not his preferred position. Mulryne is an ok player but in truth this his last season here as I can''t see Norwich renewing his contract for what he''s on at the moment

When Mulryne gets time and space on the ball he''s a good passer, but the fact is that there are very few games in the Premiership (or the Fizzypop league come to that) when you are going to get time and space on the ball in midfield. It was no accident in my opinion that the last really good performance Mulryne put in for us was at home to Crewe last year - one of the few teams who do actually allow you time and space on the ball.

The sad fact in my opinion is that when Mulryne doesn''t get time and space to do his stuff he''s a total liability defensively. He can''t/doesn''t run and he can''t win a tackle to save his life.

Spurs second goal the other day was a classic case in point. If you watch the build up carefully when Brown played the ball forward Mulryne was with him. Then Brown made a forward run, before picking the ball up and blasting it in. By the time Brown picked the ball up Mulryne was mysteriously about 10 yards aways from him. If you watch games closely when Mulryne plays you will see this happens all the time.  I''m sure that Worthy knows this too, and that''s why Mullers is bottom of the pecking order in our midfield.

Our current injury list may mean it doesn''t happen, but I wouldn''t be surprised if Mullers was off in the transfer window.

ncfc4prem i admit i am a bit harsh to Helveg but truth hurts. I agree with other people that Mcveigh has not done much this season and personally i think he''d do a hell of a lot more up front where he used to play when he first came here. To people slagging off Mullers give him time i think he is a quality player but just hasnt played much this season. Your using the example of one goal in the Tottenham game in the whole season with which to slag him off with and point out his bad bits.

I''ll do this with Helveg: gave away a goal against Chelsea with a poor pass, continuosly giving stray balls to the opposition, passing ability isnt up to par, how many more points do you want.

Alright Helveg isnt playing in his preferred position but that still doesnt make up for his lack of on target passes. Infact the only good point i can think about him is he gets stuck in and wins balls but this doesnt mater when you cant pass.

I have to agree with you Mr Rosario - Mullers and (much to my daughters dismay) WLY are simply not up to a regular starting spot in the prem. They both have talent but are short of physical presence and the desire to be consistent enough at this level. Perhaps that is why McVeigh was dropped for the boros game?OTBC