Sign in to follow this  
Canary Boy

Dennis the Menace coming to Norwich City next season?

Hi everyone

I read in one of the papers at the weekend that Dennis Bergkamp''s contract is up at the end of this season and that Norwich City have shown interest.

Did anyone else see this and could the guy who knocked Norwich City out of the UEFA Cup (not so long ago) return to Norwich in Yellow and Green this time?

I cannot believe this but as time goes on, he will probably feature less and less in Arsenal''s first team and somehow I can see him fitting into Norwich City''s style of play quite nicely. Just in front of the midfield. Just one not so small problem......wages?

yes that would be a great signing. would that be bigger than the huckerby signing!? if we went up we would have to bring in these types of players if we wanted to become a good premiership side. just think there would be more interst from bigger clubs though.

I too nearly chocked on my cereal on Wednesday morning as I read our report in the Mail! I honestly can''t see it happening. I''m sure there''s a list as long as your arm but I think I''ll just stick to wages and the fact he wouldn''t want to come! Nice to be linked with such a player though!

Think you maybe shocked at who will go where. As players contracts are ending they will have to take what is on offer.

The days of lord sheepshanks handing out blank contracts are long gone.

It''s now a buyers market - just as we are going up.

I think we may well be in for a few suprises come next season!

Hi Everyone,

If we get to Premiership status players of DB`s age and class would be the realistic target for the first couple of seasons. Norwich could infact be a very desirable club for him especially as he`s Dutch, doesnt like flying, and could easily travel back to the NL`s from Harwich. I wouldnt write it off...it could happen. Im just more concerned about how our defence would manage in the Premiership.

OTBC

Why on earth are you concerned for the defence? We have the best defence in Div 1, if not the whole blooming league!!

There are a lot of prem teams I can think of that would give their right arms for a back line like ours. Pace isn''t everything. Don''t forget - Henry, Van Nistelrooy, Hasselbaink score against EVERYONE.

The rest of the Prem teams are little more than average, and we shouldn''t give them god-like status just because they''re in the top division.

I think this is more than a little optimistic to expect a legend like bergkamp, still playing regularly and on course to win the league again to come and play for little old us..

I think I''d rather have Ray Parlour, he rarely gets a full game. Or is this even more unrealistic than Denis?

I think its a little optimistic to expect to be top of the league for 3 months and to sign Darren Huckerby........

After this season, nothing will suprise me anymore.

ray Parlour instead of Bergkamp - sorry the two do not compare. it is a long shot but Bergkamp is one of the few players who could do for us what Martin peters did so many years ago - just think of Hucks latching on to some of Dennsis B´s fantastic through balls!

Dennis Bergkamp coming to Norwich City would set the place alight! Hang on...it''s alight already! If someone had said to me a year ago that Norwich City would be top of Div One for 3 months and had signed Darren Huckerby, loaned in Peter Crouch and Kevin Harper, were favourites for promotion and have every pundit in the country saying Norwich will be promoted...I would have laughed my boxers off!...and not believed it. Dennis Bergkamp? Realistic.

Not that I believe this for one minute, but please, no old hasbeen''s. Look at Wolves, they are all old timers. Stick to youth and below 32, Yes that means you Iwan!.

Bergkamp''s past his best we do''nt need him or his zimmer frame.

Bergkamp past his best - well, the fact that he starts more times than not in the best team in the Premiership seems to indicate that he is not completely over the hill. Agree with the fact that signing too many players over a certain age is not a good idea, though.

We have to totally ignore setpiece comments and thought processes that put players in rigid brackets ! , it was this mentality that had Hucks playing in the reserves for mancity ! , apparently keegan decided he was`nt a " prem player " , this same " manager " is now close to the door marked exit ! , and his team teetering on the brink of relegation .......... so much for HIS judgment !!! , he spent close to 50 million quid on what HE thought were " prem " players , I think we have a manager to be thankful for ..........

I would love to have a discussion about who we can buy, how much we can pay them in the Premiership. One small point: we are not there yet. Lets save the speculation till the summer. Wolves thought they were up this time two years ago...

Bravo, win or die

im not naive enough to think worthy already hasnt a few players in mind for when we go up.im sorry but much as i love the guys,both malky and flem would be skinned regularly in prem,we need some pace at the back as well.would love to see d.b. here

not only is dennis''s contract up at the end of the season but so is sylvain wiltords. theres a solution, wiltord out on the right, hucks up front with bergkamp playing just off... i know it wont happen but it would be nice.

Bergkamp would be great- I hold no grudges from ''93 as he is a class player with the right attitude.

But I agree that the defence will need some priority treatment- Malky and Flem have done well this season but I am afraid that in Div One there is not a single front pairing who woould get into any Prem side.

Henry, Reyes, Van Nistelrooy, Scholes, Owen, Shearer, Bellamy, Gudjohnson, Mutu, Crespo, just some of the names to consider we might be playing against.

If he sign for us he can boost our passing ability but don''t play him up front with Hucks, he will be good at attacking midfielder!