Sign in to follow this  
lorddavidbeckham

Gary Doherty

Its about time everyone finally realised that its time for Doc to go. He was useless when we were in the premiership, useless in the championship,and now useless in the third tier. This guy is one of those rare players that gets worse with the level of opposition.

He get out paced by grandmothers week in week out, and, has anyone ever cxoneded more penalties or free kicks. He shows the tactical awareness of a 8 year old.

For years (since Malky mac) our defence has been poor, lacked any organisation and leadership, and Doherty is not the answer.

We are going great guns at the moment, and its actually enjoyable being in league 1, all these wins etc, but if/when we go up this year, our defence is gonna get torn a new one in the championship. We need to act now!!

He''s been very solid alongside Askou. Nelson is plain awful. Slow, big yet doesn''t seem to win as many headers as he should...Maybe it''s a lack of fitness but he does not fill me with confidence even as a backup.

One below-par game and people on his back again, excellent. Says all you need to know about the mentality of some ''fans''.Oh and as for the penalites/free-kicks thing, I think if you actually checked the facts you''d shut up.And anyway the whole team played badly, not just Doc, not just Nelson come to that, everyone did, so should we drop and sell everyone after one bad game?

He was probably our best defender on the night which doesn''t say much but it doesn''t warrant the reaction on here. And Nelson was much poorer but again the reaction is OTT. We were awful in the second half so folk concentrate on looking for defensive faults. Well what about the rest of the team? If we are only seeing defenders under pressure what are the others doing? Where was the protection from the midfield?

If a team is defending for long periods of a game against average opposition it''s very unlikely the defenders are the cause. If we don''t take the ball to the opposition then the defence won''t keep them out forever. And why did we see so much of Doc with the ball towards the end of the game? Was it because he was hiding to avoid criticism or because he made himself available for the ball? And why did he seem to have it for an eternity? Was it because he was clueless what to do with it or was it because the midfield in front of him weren''t available to receive it?

At the end of the day I guess we all see what we want but TV football isn''t for me. It pays sometimes to watch the players who don''t have the ball.

[quote user="lorddavidbeckham"]Its about time everyone finally realised that its time for Doc to go. He was useless when we were in the premiership, useless in the championship,and now useless in the third tier. This guy is one of those rare players that gets worse with the level of opposition.

He get out paced by grandmothers week in week out, and, has anyone ever cxoneded more penalties or free kicks. He shows the tactical awareness of a 8 year old.

For years (since Malky mac) our defence has been poor, lacked any organisation and leadership, and Doherty is not the answer.

We are going great guns at the moment, and its actually enjoyable being in league 1, all these wins etc, but if/when we go up this year, our defence is gonna get torn a new one in the championship. We need to act now!![/quote]stupid post, one bad game. He has been instrumental alongside Askou in our recent run of form. It was Nelson who was the problem.

I dont think I was talking about one game if you read the thread! He has been crap foir sooo many years. As far as the facts, where are these facts then!! Dont take everything so matter of fact!!

And I wasn''t talking about yesterdays game, the whoe team did play badly, and that can be accepteed, lets face it ebing canaries we are used top the ups and downs of football, and in a way we love the rollercoater of emotions that being norwich is all about, but we dont/or shouldnt accept is poor performances going on for years, and unfortunatley the doc is a prime example. He is ok, and will now and again have a great game, but as a cebtre back you need to be consistent, having the odd great game doesnt make up for being a generally poor. A winger can get away with being inconsistent, but a a keeper, midfielders, full backs etc need to know what your centre back is going to do, and the only thing we know that Doc gonna so is pull a shirt and get out paced, and if yoyur getting out paced in league one, youve got a problem!!

[quote user="lorddavidbeckham"]Its about time everyone finally realised that its time for Doc to go. He was useless when we were in the premiership, useless in the championship,and now useless in the third tier. This guy is one of those rare players that gets worse with the level of opposition.

We are going great guns at the moment, and its actually enjoyable being in league 1, all these wins etc, but if/when we go up this year, our defence is gonna get torn a new one in the championship. We need to act now!![/quote][|-)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

He was probably our best defender on the night which doesn''t say much but it doesn''t warrant the reaction on here. And Nelson was much poorer but again the reaction is OTT. We were awful in the second half so folk concentrate on looking for defensive faults. Well what about the rest of the team? If we are only seeing defenders under pressure what are the others doing? Where was the protection from the midfield?

If a team is defending for long periods of a game against average opposition it''s very unlikely the defenders are the cause. If we don''t take the ball to the opposition then the defence won''t keep them out forever. And why did we see so much of Doc with the ball towards the end of the game? Was it because he was hiding to avoid criticism or because he made himself available for the ball? And why did he seem to have it for an eternity? Was it because he was clueless what to do with it or was it because the midfield in front of him weren''t available to receive it?

At the end of the day I guess we all see what we want but TV football isn''t for me. It pays sometimes to watch the players who don''t have the ball.

[/quote]Exactly. Not that the resident morons and the flaming torch annd pitchfork brigade will take any notice.

[quote user="lorddavidbeckham"]I dont think I was talking about one game if you read the thread! He has been crap foir sooo many years. As far as the facts, where are these facts then!! Dont take everything so matter of fact!!

And I wasn''t talking about yesterdays game, the whoe team did play badly, and that can be accepteed, lets face it ebing canaries we are used top the ups and downs of football, and in a way we love the rollercoater of emotions that being norwich is all about, but we dont/or shouldnt accept is poor performances going on for years, and unfortunatley the doc is a prime example. He is ok, and will now and again have a great game, but as a cebtre back you need to be consistent, having the odd great game doesnt make up for being a generally poor. A winger can get away with being inconsistent, but a a keeper, midfielders, full backs etc need to know what your centre back is going to do, and the only thing we know that Doc gonna so is pull a shirt and get out paced, and if yoyur getting out paced in league one, youve got a problem!![/quote]That''s simply not true.Doc won the Barry Butler trophy 2005-6.  He came third last year.  You don''t do that without being consistent.  When your central midfield support is Mark Fotheringham and your near-side full back is Otsemobor, it''s hard to keep it together and Doc''s done his best.

[quote user="lorddavidbeckham"]you say my post is stupid.....read what I said, not mentioned any particular game, talking about the last few years........jesus give me strength!!!![/quote]Which is why it''s stupid. You are wrong.Oh and facts (something that doesn''t get done on here too often):17 games played, 24 fouls conceded this year. Check the link above. 39 fouls in 34 games last year. Too many?

[quote user="First Wizard"]I''m begining to think that Nelson and the Doc cannot play in the same team together.[/quote]Colchester United demonstrated that quite nicely.  Or nastily, even.  It has to be Askou + 1 at the centre.  I''d go Askou/Doc because I think Nelson = poor man''s Doc.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="First Wizard"]I''m begining to think that Nelson and the Doc cannot play in the same team together.[/quote]

Colchester United demonstrated that quite nicely.  Or nastily, even.  It has to be Askou + 1 at the centre.  I''d go Askou/Doc because I think Nelson = poor man''s Doc.

[/quote]

Totally agree................I must stop this![;)]

The problem with Nelson - Doc, Spillane - Doc or Nelson - Spillane is they are pairings of right sided centre-backs. I believe Askou is the only decent left sided centre back at the club.

Meant to add - Doc & Askou is the best we have. Spillane & Askou didn''t work against Charlton. Nelson & Askou has been ok against poorer opposition. But we don''t appear to have decent cover for Askou.

Lorddavidbeckham obviously hasn''t been to many Norwich games this season cause the Doc has been outstanding in most of the games hes played!

Typical stereotypes and scapegoats as soon as the team AS A WHOLE put in a bad performance. The Doc had one of his poorer games but he was far from being the worst Norwich player on show last night!

The Doc has been outstanding since he has come back in the team. It''s just that he can''t play with Nelson. I suggest going to some matches to see for yourself if you haven''t already.

So lay off him.

And this is coming from someone who has never been a fan of his.

We are going great guns at the moment, and its actually enjoyable being in league 1, all these wins etc, but if/when we go up this year, our defence is gonna get torn a new one in the championship. We need to act now!![/quote]

a) our team is going great guns with the doc playing.

b) we are not in the championship we are in league 1

and if yoyur getting out paced in league one, youve got a problem!! "

So what your saying is that players get slower the lower the league !

you quite clearly dont have a clue ! its all a bit sad really, bless you, prob best you start your homework now, may i suggest you start with spelling after reading you post.

As experianced as Doc is, he needs a strong and confident player next to him, one that will talk to the Doc and give Doc confidence. He has been a rock with Askou, but one poor game and yet again he is slated, god forbid that Smith or Holt done something wrong....

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="First Wizard"]I''m begining to think that Nelson and the Doc cannot play in the same team together.[/quote]

Colchester United demonstrated that quite nicely.  Or nastily, even.  It has to be Askou + 1 at the centre.  I''d go Askou/Doc because I think Nelson = poor man''s Doc.

[/quote]

Totally agree................I must stop this![;)]

[/quote]

A very sudden and violent swing of opinion, if you totally agree.

Towards the end of last season I never used to think much of Doc, but now since fighting his way back into the team he has been consistent week in week out, he always pushes and pulls players around in the box during corners which is what we need. His and Askou''s headers are solid and their always there to wack the ball away! Apart from yesterday overall I think he''s a bloody decent defender.

[quote user="lorddavidbeckham"]you say my post is stupid.....read what I said, not mentioned any particular game, talking about the last few years........jesus give me strength!!!![/quote]

I think we''re probably assuming that yesterday''s result has promted your post, which is why it seems stupid. Anyone who has regularly seen Doherty play this season must surely admit that he is playing consistently well and is more than capable of helping us achieve promotion this season.

What prompted you to start the thread?

How many times have you watched him this season? 

[quote user="Josh"]

The Doc has been outstanding since he has come back in the team. It''s just that he can''t play with Nelson. I suggest going to some matches to see for yourself if you haven''t already.

So lay off him.

And this is coming from someone who has never been a fan of his.

[/quote]

We had a similar situation some years ago when Malky and Flem were CBs but if either was unavailable the replacement did not play as well with the other. Also if I remember correctly Shacks/Malky or Shacks/Flem worked well but Shacks/Flem/Malky didn''t work for some reason.

So IMHO Askou/Doc or Askou/Nelson works but Doc/Nelson is a weaker partnership.

[quote user="lorddavidbeckham"]Its about time everyone finally realised that its time for Doc to go. He was useless when we were in the premiership, useless in the championship,and now useless in the third tier. This guy is one of those rare players that gets worse with the level of opposition. He get out paced by grandmothers week in week out, and, has anyone ever cxoneded more penalties or free kicks. He shows the tactical awareness of a 8 year old. For years (since Malky mac) our defence has been poor, lacked any organisation and leadership, and Doherty is not the answer. We are going great guns at the moment, and its actually enjoyable being in league 1, all these wins etc, but if/when we go up this year, our defence is gonna get torn a new one in the championship. We need to act now!![/quote]

Always makes me smile when a new poster joins up and then posts something which he knows will piss a lot of people off, guess we shouldn''t reply really but still

Doc since he came back has played really well, even Hucks commented on him last week and described him as '''' immense'''' for us.

Who would you play at the back then lord db?