Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

For Gawds Sake...Behave!

We''ve just had a great run, were the top scoreres in this league,, and added to that, the best manager we''ve had in a long while (most of you agreed with this BEFORE the Carlisle game!) yet now this message board has reverted back to its griping days of yore!

Behave.

Okay, we were poor, we lost, it is allowed once in a while you know! And how many points did we drop?

If you think the above is a bit rich coming from me, tough! its taken Paul Lambert to make a new wiz out of me![Y]

[quote user="Mister Chops"]I am liking this new First Wizard! [Y]

[/quote]

Good I''m pleased Mr C.

But why, after all that PL and his team are doing for City, have we got this rabid reaction for one poxy defeat?

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

Good I''m pleased Mr C.

But why, after all that PL and his team are doing for City, have we got this rabid reaction for one poxy defeat?

[/quote]

It''s not a reaction mate it''s an over reaction lol

If you think the above is a bit rich coming from me, tough!

[/quote]The way you flip-flop, Wiz, anyone would think you didn''t know the meaning of the word "tergiversation"...

[/quote]

Good I''m pleased Mr C.

[/quote]

It''s fear Wiz.

We saw a repeat of the last few seasons and panic set in (only a momentory panic).

I think, unlike the last few managers Lambert WILL put it right, as long as the funds are there to let him.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

The way you flip-flop, Wiz, anyone would think you didn''t know the meaning of the word "tergiversation"...[/quote]

I wanted Lambert from day 1 Purple, so don''t try that old chestnut.[:|]

I think that one of the problems is that, because of the great run a lot of posters have convinced themselves that we are going to waltz to automatic promotion. As I posted a few weeks ago, we are now well-organised and playing with confidence, but  we have a limited squad and one formation (both of these have been addressed this week with the loanees). We don''t cope too well when sides rough us up, and we lack creativity with the exception of the totally one footed Wes. At present we are a good playoff team, nothing more, but the new additions, and hopefully some action in January may just take us that step further, but there is much work to be done and we will slip up occasionally.

However, we have our best manager in years, great team spirit and excellent support. I firmly believe we will go up, but hopefully yesterday will burts the bubble of unreality that was growing and refocus the players'' minds.

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]The way you flip-flop, Wiz, anyone would think you didn''t know the meaning of the word "tergiversation"...[/quote]

[/quote]i think im clever and yet i dont know this word :sand may this wizard last, see the world with a smile on your 4000 year old face and the world is a much better place.

To be serious (unlike my first post on this thread), as someone who

went to a rugby school (I know, I know) and doesn''t get to many games,

I greatly appreciate the after-match assessments of those posters (such

as Beau) who clearly know their tactical stuff.

Having said that, for what it is worth, in the Leyton Orient game (one

of my two so far) it certainly seemed the favoured diamond system had

its flaws, if the opposition manager had done his homework. Even when

Orient had a man sent off we struggled to get round or through them.

I don''t know whether 4-4-2 is now regarded as outmoded but it has

served pretty well as a system since the Brazilians started using it in

the mid-50s. One workhorse and one creator in central midfield, an

all-out attacking winger on one side a workhorse on the other. Good

balance.

Other posters have already said this, but

that game against Orient strengthened my view that we needed to make at

least one change to the squad (an all-out attacking winger) to enable

us to play 4-4-2 if need be, either from the start of a game or at some

point.

I think everyone is twitchy because we had an encouraging start under Grant, and then, under Roeder, put a great run together that had people talking about the CCC play-offs...then, on both occasions, it went pear shaped.

As someone has brilliantly observed-it isn; the despair that kills you, its the hope!

Southend is a must-MUST win, however it comes, hell, 1-0 and a goal off someones knee or an OG, whatever. If we lose there, that will be 1 win in 4 and doubts, however slight, will start to surface for those same reasons.

Win there-and its going to be difficult-and, with CR games toi follow, we can get on a winning run again and yesterday can be the blip we are all thinking it was.

Suspect Martin may come in for Semi.

[quote user="missing in action"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

The way you flip-flop, Wiz, anyone would think you didn''t know the meaning of the word "tergiversation"...[/quote]

[/quote]
i think im clever and yet i dont know this word :s
and may this wizard last, see the world with a smile on your 4000 year old face and the world is a much better place.
[/quote]

Sorry MIA.....thats lost me mate.........mind, I''m a bit dim today.[:S]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

To be serious (unlike my first post on this thread), as someone who

went to a rugby school (I know, I know) and doesn''t get to many games,

I greatly appreciate the after-match assessments of those posters (such

as Beau) who clearly know their tactical stuff.

[/quote]

Yes, his tactical nous is top notch after reading my posts and wording ''em slightly differently.

We''ve just had a great run, were the top scoreres in this league,, and added to that, the best manager we''ve had in a long while (most of you agreed with this BEFORE the Carlisle game!) yet now this message board has reverted back to its griping days of yore!

Behave.

Okay, we were poor, we lost, it is allowed once in a while you know! And how many points did we drop?

If you think the above is a bit rich coming from me, tough! its taken Paul Lambert to make a new wiz out of me![Y]

[/quote]

Precisely!

Yes we were poor and deserved to lose but if you''d of been given a choice of 3pts in October or winning last night I''d have taken the points although I''m gutted we aren''t in the 3rd round draw for the 1st time since I was young!

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]
To be serious (unlike my first post on this thread), as someone who went to a rugby school (I know, I know) and doesn''t get to many games, I greatly appreciate the after-match assessments of those posters (such as Beau) who clearly know their tactical stuff.

[/quote]

Yes, his tactical nous is top notch after reading my posts and wording ''em slightly differently.
[/quote]

Don''t flatter yourself. After all, I''ve seen you play.......and I''m still waiting for you to own up on the managerial record you were so keen to hint at.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]To be serious (unlike my first post on this thread), as someone who went to a rugby school (I know, I know) and doesn''t get to many games, I greatly appreciate the after-match assessments of those posters (such as Beau) who clearly know their tactical stuff.[/quote]

Yes, his tactical nous is top notch after reading my posts and wording ''em slightly differently.[/quote]

Don''t flatter yourself. After all, I''ve seen you play.......and I''m still waiting for you to own up on the managerial record you were so keen to hint at.

[/quote]

The day I retire from this message board is the day I''ll reveal my true identity, Beau.

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]To be serious (unlike my first post on this thread), as someone who went to a rugby school (I know, I know) and doesn''t get to many games, I greatly appreciate the after-match assessments of those posters (such as Beau) who clearly know their tactical stuff.[/quote]

Yes, his tactical nous is top notch after reading my posts and wording ''em slightly differently.[/quote]

[/quote]

The day I retire from this message board is the day I''ll reveal my true identity, Beau.[/quote]mr roeder?

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]
To be serious (unlike my first post on this thread), as someone who went to a rugby school (I know, I know) and doesn''t get to many games, I greatly appreciate the after-match assessments of those posters (such as Beau) who clearly know their tactical stuff.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The day I retire from this message board is the day I''ll reveal my true identity, Beau.
[/quote]

[;)]

F*cking thing!Try this: [url]http://intranet.yorkcollege.ac.uk/yc/lessonplan/sound/soundfiles/uh-uhhh.wav[/url]

[quote user="Ex Norwich Resident"]Hey 1stwizard, why won''t you come back on our board? Oh how we''ve missed you and your hex appeal, please come back xx[/quote]

How many alter egos does Wiz have at the last count? [:P]  

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]
I don''t know whether 4-4-2 is now regarded as outmoded but it has served pretty well as a system since the Brazilians started using it in the mid-50s. One workhorse and one creator in central midfield, an all-out attacking winger on one side a workhorse on the other. Good balance.

Other posters have already said this, but that game against Orient strengthened my view that we needed to make at least one change to the squad (an all-out attacking winger) to enable us to play 4-4-2 if need be, either from the start of a game or at some point.

[/quote]

I think Lambert has favoured the diamond because it gets the most out of the players he''s got - Hoolahan is at his best playing behind the front two, and we lack wingers with pace which is an essential requirement for 4-4-2 to be effective.  We need a plan B, but have we got the players who could make it work?

Having said all that, imo the diamond let us down yesterday chiefly because Russell went awol.  Had he done his job we''d have made a better fist of it.  Let''s hope he was just having an off day and doesn''t have his mind elsewhere (ie. on the January transfer window . . .).

[quote user="canary cherub "]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]I don''t know whether 4-4-2 is now regarded as outmoded but it has served pretty well as a system since the Brazilians started using it in the mid-50s. One workhorse and one creator in central midfield, an all-out attacking winger on one side a workhorse on the other. Good balance.Other posters have already said this, but that game against Orient strengthened my view that we needed to make at least one change to the squad (an all-out attacking winger) to enable us to play 4-4-2 if need be, either from the start of a game or at some point.[/quote]

I think Lambert has favoured the diamond because it gets the most out of the players he''s got - Hoolahan is at his best playing behind the front two, and we lack wingers with pace which is an essential requirement for 4-4-2 to be effective.  We need a plan B, but have we got the players who could make it work?

Having said all that, imo the diamond let us down yesterday chiefly because Russell went awol.  Had he done his job we''d have made a better fist of it.  Let''s hope he was just having an off day and doesn''t have his mind elsewhere (ie. on the January transfer window . . .).

[/quote]Cherub, I assume the signing of McNamee is aimed at being able to play 4-4-2 when Lambert wants to.At a bit of a tangent I was grateful for your explanation elsewhere of immaculate conception, about which I had been labouring under a misconception!Looking it up in the Catholic Encyclopaedia I came across this explanation:"The term conception does not mean the active or generative conception by her parents. Her body was formed in the womb of the mother, and the father had the usual share in its formation."A wonderfully coy phrase, that: "the father had the usual share in its formation."

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]The way you flip-flop, Wiz, anyone would think you didn''t know the meaning of the word "tergiversation"...[/quote]I dont [:)] What''s that wonderfully sounding word mean?