Sign in to follow this  
smooth

who cares about fa cup this season... jpt is our cup competition

[quote user="smooth"]Getting back to the point mello the fa cup screwed us in the prem season losing to a west ham team that had better personnel and a point to porve against a prem team that was struggling... we played bentley and helveg both got injured... and guess what when they were back in the team we went on a run that put us in a position on the final day that season the cup competition cost us... yes I agree with an early post the aim this season is not to be in the first round next year, so obviously promotion... but this year we got what we have deserved for two or three years third tier football and that means first round fa cup and jpt yes its not a cup with loads of glory, but hell we aren''t ever going to play at wembley when the result is not about the pressure of possible promotion... we all remember the cardiff game the fa cup might give us a plum tie, but it might also give us doncaster or blackpool who could easily beat us and give us injuries now we can concetrate on the league and one game against soton which puts us one tie away from a trip to wembley I for one would love to see us play at the new wembley in a cup final whatever cup it is... we aren''t going to be there in the carling cup and fa cup so this is it... it is a game with no pressure the game in march if we get there will have pressure, much rather our players have been to wembley and experienced the day because we have all seen norwich teams that freeze I am not even sure if we made the playoffs we could win, so this cup competition sjhould be an easy passage to a game at wembley... where for once we are one of the favourites to get there and now we have a few games to get there[/quote]

Yes, but at least if we played a Championship club in the FA Cup we''re less likely to get injuries than against Third and Fourth Division sides in the JPT.

Can''t agree that the JPT should be an easy passage to Wembley. It probably will be for Leeds in the much easier Northern section and it''ll be a major shock if they don''t reach Wembley. But I''m not at all certain that we can win at St Mary''s then get a two-legged result against MK Dons should they beat Hereford.

Don''t start blowing up your inflatables just yet.....

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]

[quote user="smooth"]Getting back to the point mello the fa cup screwed us in the prem season losing to a west ham team that had better personnel and a point to porve against a prem team that was struggling... we played bentley and helveg both got injured... and guess what when they were back in the team we went on a run that put us in a position on the final day that season the cup competition cost us... yes I agree with an early post the aim this season is not to be in the first round next year, so obviously promotion... but this year we got what we have deserved for two or three years third tier football and that means first round fa cup and jpt yes its not a cup with loads of glory, but hell we aren''t ever going to play at wembley when the result is not about the pressure of possible promotion... we all remember the cardiff game the fa cup might give us a plum tie, but it might also give us doncaster or blackpool who could easily beat us and give us injuries now we can concetrate on the league and one game against soton which puts us one tie away from a trip to wembley I for one would love to see us play at the new wembley in a cup final whatever cup it is... we aren''t going to be there in the carling cup and fa cup so this is it... it is a game with no pressure the game in march if we get there will have pressure, much rather our players have been to wembley and experienced the day because we have all seen norwich teams that freeze I am not even sure if we made the playoffs we could win, so this cup competition sjhould be an easy passage to a game at wembley... where for once we are one of the favourites to get there and now we have a few games to get there[/quote]

Yes, but at least if we played a Championship club in the FA Cup we''re less likely to get injuries than against Third and Fourth Division sides in the JPT.

Can''t agree that the JPT should be an easy passage to Wembley. It probably will be for Leeds in the much easier Northern section and it''ll be a major shock if they don''t reach Wembley. But I''m not at all certain that we can win at St Mary''s then get a two-legged result against MK Dons should they beat Hereford.

[/quote]

Couldn''t agree more with this post. Away at Southampton, then two matches against MK Dons and then a final with Leeds all for the sake of the tin pot trophy. Potentially, four very tough matches and, if we win them all, we win a trophy only competed for by teams in the old third and fourth divisions. I care about the FA Cup but definitely not the Johnstones Paint Trophy, the JPT is a mickey mouse competition which even if you do win it you have the piss taken for !

hey i agree don''t start with the inflatables, but it is time to take it seriously... we are very close to a game at wembley we aren''t playing any teams in the top two divisions of course it should then be an easier passage

soton in a one legged tie is better than two games... if we can do it, then I don''t think we should fear mk or hereford over two games

I don''t know why you think we would get less injuries in an fa cup game... its not about the opponent its about the amount of games, the fa cup would have been an extra game after xmas when the fixtures are chocca block

yes leeds have a walk thro if you will, but I see it as a cup competition that could get our players ready for knowing what to expect if we play in the play off final, perfect preparation

Also yes we may win a cup competition between teams in the third and fourth divison but that is where we are, last season we weren''t good enough to be in the top two divisions. I would say the last few years we haven''t and it is clear some of our players have found their level

And all I am saying is THIS SEASON I don''t care about the fa cup... the third round ties and beyond are when we will need a promotion push after xmas, other years yes a good cup run and draw can help.

But when clubs have limited squads and promotion is the aim, and you are in promotion position, cup competitions are a hinderance. Injuries, fixtures, suspensions the list goes on... this year I don''t care but now we have a few games from wembley in the jpt lets go for it in the game at soton and hopefully those 2 games after.

The FA Cup is a great cup competition I am not denying that, we have a history as most clubs do, but it is only interesting while small teams are in it.

Paulton getting a third of their yearly income in one game, kettering possibly playing man u... I don''t care with all prem ties or championship teams that may beat a prem. team... they all have loads of money I care about the small community clubs that get to the first and third rounds picking up money that can keep a club a float (could well say that is the situation here at carrow road). But we should have more means for getting money.

The cup competition, since money has gone crazy in the 90''s, for me is about, teams like Paulton and those teams hopefully getting a draw of a lifetime

[quote user="Captain Pugwash"][quote user="......and Smith must score."]

[/quote]

Couldn''t agree more with this post. Away at Southampton, then two matches against MK Dons and then a final with Leeds all for the sake of the tin pot trophy. Potentially, four very tough matches and, if we win them all, we win a trophy only competed for by teams in the old third and fourth divisions. I care about the FA Cup but definitely not the Johnstones Paint Trophy, the JPT is a mickey mouse competition which even if you do win it you have the piss taken for !

[/quote]

Glad  to see there''s at least one or two others on here who don''t give a damn about the JPT.

Given our horrible financial position I suspect we''d have entered this nonsense voluntarily had we not been compelled to do so. Makes the whole thing even more depressing especially as participating clubs make diddly squat out of it unless they''re lucky enough to get to Wembley.

As it''s such a p*ss poor competition perhaps it should be re-christened , '' The Mothercare Pot - Urine it to win it ''.......... 

If we win it we''ll still get the piss taken. Probably, but this is what the sentence "Have you won anything this season?" was coined for.

Anyway if we win League 1 or come second in League 1 or win the League 1 play-offs we''ll get the piss taken.

I suppose we''d better not try to achieve any of those either.

Better winning the Paint Pot for a cash strapped club like Norwich than going out in the Area Semi Final to Southampton I would say.

If it is an embarrassment winning the JPT then what does it say about a team who can''t even reach the latter stages of such a poor competition??? [:^)]

I would say that we always stood a better chance of making money from the mickey mouse competition than the FA Cup this season.

Also while many are writing off the chances of teams like Hereford, are they not forgetting that this is a Cup competition which the now non-league Luton Town won last season?  There is not an enormous amount of difference between every team in Div''s 1 and 2 in my opinion and I bet both Norwich and Southampton will put full strength line-ups out for the upcoming tie.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]

[quote user="JenJen "]To Those Saying That The JPT Is A Joke, You Won''t Be Saying That If We Go To Wembley And Win It![/quote]

Wanna bet ?

[/quote]

Ok, i''ll bet if we go to Wembley you''ll be going, if you dont care you wouldn''t bother, would you?

[quote user="Delias Devonshire Dirtbox"][quote user="......and Smith must score."]

[quote user="JenJen "]To Those Saying That The JPT Is A Joke, You Won''t Be Saying That If We Go To Wembley And Win It![/quote]

Wanna bet ?

[/quote]

Ok, i''ll bet if we go to Wembley you''ll be going, if you dont care you wouldn''t bother, would you?

[/quote]

You''ll be on a loser then............I''ve never have had or ever will have any intention of going to watch a JPT match at Wembley or anywhere else.

But you are right in that I really don''t care.

Agreed [:D]

[quote user="Barclay hero"]

Agreed [:D]

[/quote]

Is that why Lambert''s playing the young''uns, and the fringe and bench-warmers in the JPT? Because he desperately wants us to win it?

Yet the FA Cup is a waste of space, so Lambert, therefore decided to only put out our strongest side available against Carlisle?

A load of ballcocks.....I bet the CE and the board wanted us to progress further in the FA Cup....as much as I did - and a fair few other supporters... probably...

Because if we''d been given a home tie even against average opposition, (who would bring their supporter allocation, of which I''m sure) the stadium would be full and the revenue that the tie attracted - wouldn''t be accounted for like the season-ticket money already has....a percentage to them, and some for us.

We weren''t going to win the FA Cup this year....but I''d much still prefer to be in it.... 

I''d rather have a decent run in the FA Cup too Mello - but Football is all about winning things.  I''d rather be a top 6 of league 1 and JPT winning club than a mediocre bottom third Championship side.  I''d quite happily swap a place in the 3rd round of the FA Cup v Everton (A) with a place in the JPT final.

Lambert has picked sides that generally have been strong enough to beat the opposition - we were unfortunate that on Saturday we met a side that was in a good run of form - and we played badly.  I''ll settle for a win tomorrow at Southend and another Pen Shootout win at St Marys

[quote user="Barclay hero"]

I''d rather have a decent run in the FA Cup too Mello - but Football is all about winning things.  I''d rather be a top 6 of league 1 and JPT winning club than a mediocre bottom third Championship side.  I''d quite happily swap a place in the 3rd round of the FA Cup v Everton (A) with a place in the JPT final.

Lambert has picked sides that generally have been strong enough to beat the opposition - we were unfortunate that on Saturday we met a side that was in a good run of form - and we played badly.  I''ll settle for a win tomorrow at Southend and another Pen Shootout win at St Marys

[/quote]

Unfortunately, I think we''ll go out against the Saints.....Will Lambo field our strongest side? What do we get in revenue if we lose?

I also think Southend''s going to be a toughie, and we''ll be lucky for a point.

I really do hope I''m wrong on both counts.....

Classic "good losers" syndrome......

If we''d have won against Carlisle it would be "who cares about the Johnstones Colour Chart bollox"... but as we lost so hopelessly it''s vice versa.....

It''s the limp wristed win win scenario for those in denial.....