Sign in to follow this  
norwichyellow

How would u increase carrow rd by 15 000?

[quote user="Mike Grant"]

Adding a tier to the city stand would be possible as we own the road outside. Corner fills are too expensive as you need curved steel etc. so would not be financial as sensible as a new tier on top of the City stand.

As for filling it, 40 % of City fans travel more than an hour (each way) to see the side every other week, we''d easily fill 30''000 / 35''000 in the premiership as long as we kept the ticketing policy. People are wanting Sullivan or Gold to invest but would you be happy with a 50% plus increase in tickets, as that is want happened at Birmingham hence the drop in crowds they had. I''m not sure.....

[/quote]

I would think it is a responsibility of any ambitious board to price match day tickets in such a way as to maximise the revenue obtained. If this means higher prices and smaller crowds then so be it. How many people would sacrifice attending a few games a season, due to affordability, in exchange for seeing a successful Premiership team when they do attend?

quote user Bru

I believe both the City stand and the Jarrold were built with plans ready to build on top/on the back of them.

The city stand pland is interesting... Building it over Carrow Rd (not Koblenz Avenue) and have a tunnel right the way along. There would also be the two corners to fill in. This would then join at the heiht of the Barclay and River End.

Im sure I read somewhere, that when the Jarrold was built they had an option for a 8,000 or 12,000 capacity and they chose the 8,000 with foundations for 12,000 if needed in the future.

McNally is echoing what Andrew Cullen said when he was here.

Cullen stated that we could fill a 35,000 stadium IF we were in the prem.

On a cost per seat basis creating a cantilevered stand over the current City Stand would be extremely expensive, with the existing fabric now twenty five years old and with current Building regulations as they are I wonder if this is even feasible? 

Don’t get me wrong I think it would complete the ground perfectly and give a capacity of say 32,000 but there again that’s not going to be enough?

As for the South / Jarrold Stand I spoke with Cullen when he was at the club and he did say it was built in such a way that another tier could be added essentially doubling its capacity from recollection but to do this without reconsidering the City stand would really give a lopsided look to FCR.  Furthermore there was also the indication that all the changing rooms and dugouts etc could and would be moved to that side of the ground

I wonder in reality whether it might just be more effective to completely rebuild the current City Stand?   If by some stroke of luck we suddenly found ourselves with a nice new benefactor the costs of doing this have dropped significantly over the last year or so.

[quote user="morty"]Lets face it, its not going to happen. If you look at the population demographic of Norfolk then there just aren''t enough people here to get those kind of figures week in - week out. Its frankly a miracle that we get the figures that we do. And I think this is the main reason that we suffer in attracting investment, we have reached our peak, theres no expandability that will increase the revenue. Don''t get me wrong, I''d love to see 40,000 in Carrow road but I doubt the day will come.[/quote]

I''ve been inside CR with more than 35k many times during the 70''s, when  there were fewer people around here. With over 800k people living in Norfolk and many other fans scattered atound  the country it is more than possible to get 35k. Just because our average crowd is 25k it doesn''t mean that''s all the fans we have, there are plenty of people who would go if we were even a mid table prem club. I say good on Mcnally for actually bigging us up for a change instead of constantly playing the little old Norwich rubbish.

[quote user="norwichyellow"]

In the interview David Mcnally says"when we are back in the premiership" we will need a 35,000-40,000 capacity stadium. I am not sure how this is achieveable cosidering the Jarrold stand holds only around 8100 and the capacity will need to be increased by 20 000 if the city stand is knocked down.

How dow people feel will be the way to get Carrow road to 40 000+ ?

[/quote]

Are you the cheap architect the club has hired to draw the plans and looking for a bit of free help?

[quote user="Pablo Picarsole"]

Adding a tier to the City Stand would increase the capacity to just over 30,000. Speaking to one of the guys who was working on the construction of the Jarrold Stand at the time, he claimed that an additional tier could not be added to the Jarrod Stand as the foundations were not strong enough, though.

[/quote]Yes I also heard their were concerns about adding another tier onto the Jarrold stand because of the weak foundations. As I understand it, Carrow Roads potential maximum capacity is about 35,000 and that''s if they build on both the City Stand and Jarrold stand, the only way we could get our capacity above 35,000 is if we were to knock down some stands and build brand new ones which I don''t think is to likely to happen. But 35,000 would be about right for a club of our size should we ever become an established Premier League team.

"I would think it is a responsibility of any ambitious board to price match day tickets in such a way as to maximise the revenue obtained. If this means higher prices and smaller crowds then so be it. "

So we make watching City a past time for the rich and affluent only, rather than the club being a vibrant part of the whole community...... I''m not convinced and Brum fans definitely left in thousands never to return.

We used to get crowds of 30,000 and more in 70`s according to source and even could get big crowds when in lower league in 60s! With there now being a much bigger demographic(someone else used that word so i thought what the hell),im sure we easily get 40,000 if in prem! ...Look how many turned out on our promo special easliy 80,000 and on a mon night when a lot complained it shouldve been on a sunday as they couldnt attend!

[quote user="kdncfc"]

[quote user="morty"]Lets face it, its not going to happen. If you look at the population demographic of Norfolk then there just aren''t enough people here to get those kind of figures week in - week out. Its frankly a miracle that we get the figures that we do. And I think this is the main reason that we suffer in attracting investment, we have reached our peak, theres no expandability that will increase the revenue. Don''t get me wrong, I''d love to see 40,000 in Carrow road but I doubt the day will come.[/quote]

I''ve been inside CR with more than 35k many times during the 70''s, when  there were fewer people around here. With over 800k people living in Norfolk and many other fans scattered atound  the country it is more than possible to get 35k. Just because our average crowd is 25k it doesn''t mean that''s all the fans we have, there are plenty of people who would go if we were even a mid table prem club. I say good on Mcnally for actually bigging us up for a change instead of constantly playing the little old Norwich rubbish.

[/quote]

Exactly.  I`d like to hear what "population demographic" morty is basing his opinion on?

I think there is demand to get 35-40,000 into the ground for Tottenham, Arsenal, Aston Villa, Man Utd, Liverpool, and Chelsea, the rest of the time you''d be looking at 30,000.  Car parking would be a major issue, getting to and leaving from the ground is a nightmare with 25,000 supporters, let alone a further 10,000.I suspect an out-of-town facility would have to be built to handle this crowd, as a cheaper option than re-developing the current ground (how much did the Jarrold Stand cost ?), and for logistical reasons.

according my very rough calculations in order to take the capacity to 37,398. The club would have to demolish the city stand building a stand of the same capacity of the south (jarrold for the young uns) stand, adding a 4,000 seater second tier and two corner infill that have the same capacity as the new community stand infill.

Not so long ago this board was awash with threads about relegation and administration. Now we are talking about increasing the ground capacity to 40,000, Amazing what a few wins will do! [:D]

[quote user="Howman"]according my very rough calculations in order to take the capacity to 37,398. The club would have to demolish the city stand building a stand of the same capacity of the south (jarrold for the young uns) stand, adding a 4,000 seater second tier and two corner infill that have the same capacity as the new community stand infill.[/quote]Well, when the Jarrold Stand cost over 10 million to build, and Derby County got a brand new stadium with a 33,000 + capacity for 28 million, you have to ask yourself if you''d be better off (on a purely fag-packet basis of course) building an entirely new stadium ?

Eventually it will have to be a new stadium if we are serious since apparently changing older stadiums is much more expensive than building a new one.Something like Sunderland The North Stand was extended in 2000 to bring the capacity to 49,000,

costing the club a further £7 million, making the final cost of the

stadium £23 million.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stadium_of_LightSunderland population 177,739 (2001 Census)Norwich population 130,000 city >350,000 area.

[quote user="lappinitup"]Not so long ago this board was awash with threads about relegation and administration. Now we are talking about increasing the ground capacity to 40,000, Amazing what a few wins will do! [:D][/quote]That''s a fair point though, wouldn''t this investment in fixed assets result in the inevitable ? [:o]  Or would we play Premiership season 1 with 3 stands while we wait for the archaelogists again ?...

of course, and if the plan is to have a 35,000 - 40,000 seat stadium a move would be both cheaper and much more sensible, with a move to somewhere such as colney where a new stadium could be built with an access road from both the A47 and A11 and a car park big enough to cope with the traffic :)

However the question was how would u add 15,000 to carrow road and so i gave the closest answer i could come up with :P

And incase anyone was wondering this is all dreaming as i know premiership football is a long way a way!!

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="Howman"]according my very rough calculations in order to take the capacity to 37,398. The club would have to demolish the city stand building a stand of the same capacity of the south (jarrold for the young uns) stand, adding a 4,000 seater second tier and two corner infill that have the same capacity as the new community stand infill.[/quote]Well, when the Jarrold Stand cost over 10 million to build, and Derby County got a brand new stadium with a 33,000 + capacity for 28 million, you have to ask yourself if you''d be better off (on a purely fag-packet basis of course) building an entirely new stadium ?[/quote]

this should have been at the top of my post, apologies im new to this!

quote from Oliver Napthine found on web about expansion shortly after jarrold stand was completed

''''The new South Stand has been built in such a way that an additional tier can be added at a later stage if required. This development would increase the capacity to around 30,000''. Whilst Jon Springall adds; ''An additional tier could also at some stage (the foundations are already in place) be added to the Geoffrey Watling Stand, which would further raise the capacity to around 35,000"

[quote user="blahblahblah"]All well and good gsr, but how would you go about physically getting 35,000 people in and out of the place ?[/quote]

personally i think a new ground is the only way to go abut having 35000 attendance, somewhere like colney as previously said as the current location is difficult enough to get out of with 25000, either that or the road is made pedestrian access and bus access only and park and ride facilities used at a concession for those going to the game

[quote user="gsr600"]quote from Oliver Napthine found on web about expansion shortly after jarrold stand was completed ''''The new South Stand has been built in such a way that an additional tier can be added at a later stage if required. This development would increase the capacity to around 30,000''. Whilst Jon Springall adds; ''An additional tier could also at some stage (the foundations are already in place) be added to the Geoffrey Watling Stand, which would further raise the capacity to around 35,000"[/quote]

I understand that if a second tier was to be put on the City Stand, the pitch would have to be moved over by a few yards/metres towards the Jarrold - to allow those viewing from the upper tier a complete view of the pitch.

I''d agree that Colney would probably be the ideal solution - it cost gawd knows how much for a spine road in that location, let alone all the improvements that would have to be made to make getting there liveable.It would be a shame to move though, as a lot of Norwich people do take the trouble to walk to the ground too.  glad it''s not my decision [:)]

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

[quote user="gsr600"]quote from Oliver Napthine found on web about expansion shortly after jarrold stand was completed ''''The new South Stand has been built in such a way that an additional tier can be added at a later stage if required. This development would increase the capacity to around 30,000''. Whilst Jon Springall adds; ''An additional tier could also at some stage (the foundations are already in place) be added to the Geoffrey Watling Stand, which would further raise the capacity to around 35,000"[/quote]

I understand that if a second tier was to be put on the City Stand, the pitch would have to be moved over by a few yards/metres towards the Jarrold - to allow those viewing from the upper tier a complete view of the pitch.

[/quote]Would they also raise the pitch a few feet for the poor old dears in the City Stand to be able to see what was going on aswell, do you think ? [;)]

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

or put the away fans in that section as surely they would have gotten fed up with seeing there team get beat anyway they would rather just look out blankly into thin air lol, itd be more interesting for them lol

bring back standing,most of us do it for most of the match when it gets exciting,cant beat it ,I remember being in amongst 30,000 plus watching us beat chelsea in the leauge cup,at Carrow road,what a atmosphere never will forget it,all sides of the ground singing,and echo coming off the roof.Best suggegestion in this day and age though is to go up a tier.Looking forward to southend ,only a stones throw from here.