Sign in to follow this  
jeagle

McNamee: I want to be a hero like Huckerby

Talk about setting yourself high standards...I just hope he gets a chance to prove himself and doesn''t get slated if he has a bad game or (shock horror) we lose a game.

I really really hope he is not setting himself up for a fall.......Hucks boots are a big task to fill. I would say he is the biggest legend to come out of Carrow Road.

Don''t get me wrong I admire the guy for saying something but I think I would have preferred him to let his game do the talking first. When he''s got the crowd on side etc then announce that you want to be the new club legend!

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"]I must have missed the bit where he said he would be like Huckerby. Nothing wrong with aspirations.[/quote]

“I know Darren Huckerby was a legend at Norwich so hopefully I can do the same,” he said.

Personally, I have no problem with ambition!

I just wish he and Martin Wouldn''t make it quite so obvious that we have signed them permanently.

FFS why can''t loanees make acceptable statements like "I'' m only here for the money, I''ll phone in my performances and can''t wait to get out again. Permanent.....you''ve got to be joking!"

Huckerby was great, but he''s no longer here and new heroes will emerge. Davies, Reeves, Bruce, Phelan etc were all great players who seemed irreplaceable but the world keeps turning. The lad has shown ambition and commitment. How very dare he!

[quote user="Beauseant"]

FFS why can''t loanees make acceptable statements like "I'' m only here for the money, I''ll phone in my performances and can''t wait to get out again. Permanent.....you''ve got to be joking!"

[/quote]I miss last season too Beauseant [:)]

Huckerby was/is a legend and he made things happen, but I can''t agree that he is the biggest legened to come out of Norwich. I am not the oldest person on this board, and I know that are plenty of players from the 70s and 80s that are held in very high regard.

If McNamee wants to be a legend here, that is great news. He will be compared to Hucks because he is a winger and if he is comparing himself to Hucks, he needs to be fantastic from the off.

[quote user="B-ru"]

Huckerby was/is a legend and he made things happen, but I can''t agree that he is the biggest legened to come out of Norwich. I am not the oldest person on this board, and I know that are plenty of players from the 70s and 80s that are held in very high regard.

If McNamee wants to be a legend here, that is great news. He will be compared to Hucks because he is a winger and if he is comparing himself to Hucks, he needs to be fantastic from the off.

[/quote]

Then Hucks was not a winger in the coventinal sense.

Then he was never conventional.

Hucks is a legend here because he was a damn good footballer on the pitch AND a hell of a nice bloke of it, who showed that he cared about this football club. If Mcnamee wants to follow that route then i''m all in favour.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"]I must have missed the bit where he said he would be like Huckerby. Nothing wrong with aspirations.[/quote]

“I know Darren Huckerby was a legend at Norwich so hopefully I can do the same,” he said.

[/quote]

You may have had a point if he said "certainly I will do the same".

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[/quote]

[/quote]And the title says he WANTS to be a legend, LIKE Huckerby...comprende?

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="Mustachio Furioso"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[/quote]

[/quote]
And the title says he WANTS to be a legend, LIKE Huckerby...comprende?
[/quote]

No, are you getting confused?

Good luck to the young man.

Nothing wrong with being ambitious - we''ve had our fill of prudence of late.

Poor Adam Drury might have to start running an extra couple of miles a game again though - hope he''s still up to it.

OTBC

My OP wasn''t meant as a dig at him. I hope he does go on to be a legend. I was just saying that its a big statement to say you want to be like one of the most influential players in the clubs recent history.

[quote user="eagle"]My OP wasn''t meant as a dig at him. I hope he does go on to be a legend. I was just saying that its a big statement to say you want to be like one of the most influential players in the clubs recent history.[/quote]

Likewise!!!!!!!

"My OP wasn''t meant as a dig at him. I hope he does go on to be a legend. I was just saying that its a big statement to say you want to be like one of the most influential players in the clubs recent history. "

Would you have preferred him to aspire to be like Strihavka or something? ;)

Perhaps his aspiration should be to play like Ruel Fox or evan Louis Donewa ! If he can do that then I will be delighted ...........  !

[quote user="First Jedi"]"My OP wasn''t meant as a dig at him. I hope he does go on to be a legend. I was just saying that its a big statement to say you want to be like one of the most influential players in the clubs recent history. " Would you have preferred him to aspire to be like Strihavka or something? ;)[/quote]

No but like others have said it would have been more sensible for him to play with commitment and passion, along with (what we have been told) his pace and skill. In my opinion thats a better way to get the fans on his side.

From what I have heard about his style of play, I imagine he would have been compared to Huckerby at some point along the line, provided he plays well, but to bring it on himself before he has even kicked a ball seems strange to me.

Nothing wrong with wanting to be a hero and having an idol to aspire to, good luck to him.

i do feel this man is what we have missed since huckerby was released . we have had no-one with any pace on either wing .

i have seen him play and with lambert bringing the best out of players this could be a bit of a coup signing for us .

i like the mans positive attitude .. the type of players this club needs.

Difference is when Huckerby signed there was an instant euphoria because of his status within the sport. Similarly with Earnshaw, we all knew it would be a good signing. Had Earnie stayed for longer he may have become a bit of a legend. Whereas now it''s a case of Anthony Who?! Hopefully he will build himself and a bigger reputation here at Norwich and quickly establish himself as a fans favourite, even if none of us know much about him!

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[/quote]

I have no problems with that.

Archant journo: So what do you know about Norwich?

McNamee: Um.....oh yeah, Darren Huckerby used to play here

Archant journo: Yes, Norwich legend

McNamee: Yes, I suppose so.

Archant journo: Would you like to be like him?

McNamee: Er, yes.

..scribble, scribble...

[quote user="dpit"]

Archant journo: So what do you know about Norwich?

McNamee: Um.....oh yeah, Darren Huckerby used to play here

Archant journo: Yes, Norwich legend

McNamee: Yes, I suppose so.

Archant journo: Would you like to be like him?

McNamee: Er, yes.

..scribble, scribble...

[/quote]

[:D]

Well Pete?

OTBC

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[/quote]

[/quote]I missed the bit where he said "I want to be a pedantic twunt like Moustachio Bumfluffio", but that doesn''t mean he didn''t say it.