Sign in to follow this  
The Butler

McNally

Why is it I read what this guy says in the EDP and BELIEVE him.

Money from any transfers straight back to Lambert etc.

Doncaster had written it I would still have been laughing.

[quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]Doncasters'' eyes were probably too close together, I''d imagine...

How good is it to read our Chief Exec talking about "when we are back in the premiership" we will need a 35,000-40,000 capacity stadium. I know talk is cheap but there does at least appear to be some genuine ambition there!

[/quote]

I will remain sceptical I''m afraid[:''(]

If this happens it will be the first time in the 45 years I''ve been aware of[:O]

If Watling, South, Chase, Cooper or Doncaster had written it I would still have been laughing[;)]

He is a clear and concise person, thats obvious from his past experience. obviously every business/club is different but he obviously has ideas that he wants to put to good use if given time and support. I do think this is possibly the best investment Delia could make, if you are crap with money and business, you let someone else handle it.

[quote user="missing in action"]He is a clear and concise person, thats obvious from his past experience. obviously every business/club is different but he obviously has ideas that he wants to put to good use if given time and support. I do think this is possibly the best investment Delia could make, if you are crap with money and business, you let someone else handle it.
[/quote]

Surely she has always let someone else handle it?

[quote user="Jim Smith"]How good is it to read our Chief Exec talking about "when we are back in the premiership" we will need a 35,000-40,000 capacity stadium. I know talk is cheap but there does at least appear to be some genuine ambition there![/quote]

Imo the club should be pushing all-out to become a "trial" club for German-style safe terracing.  Good safety/behavior record, would suit the economic profile of the area (generally low-pay) and in theory should get the capacity up over 30k cheaply, without having to demolish and rebuild stands which are fairly recent and modern anyway.  Sorry for going a bit OT, but i`m sure people are used to it [;)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="missing in action"]He is a clear and concise person, thats obvious from his past experience. obviously every business/club is different but he obviously has ideas that he wants to put to good use if given time and support. I do think this is possibly the best investment Delia could make, if you are crap with money and business, you let someone else handle it. [/quote]

[/quote]i wasnt clear enough, i meant taking more of a back seat. McNally is very hands on and sticks many fingers in many pies, and its good that he does.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[quote user="Jim Smith"]How good is it to read our Chief Exec talking about "when we are back in the premiership" we will need a 35,000-40,000 capacity stadium. I know talk is cheap but there does at least appear to be some genuine ambition there![/quote]

Imo the club should be pushing all-out to become a "trial" club for German-style safe terracing.  Good safety/behavior record, would suit the economic profile of the area (generally low-pay) and in theory should get the capacity up over 30k cheaply, without having to demolish and rebuild stands which are fairly recent and modern anyway.  Sorry for going a bit OT, but i`m sure people are used to it [;)]

[/quote]There''s a link in the Blackpool thread which contains the rules of the Premier League.  One of the stipulations for taking part in the Premier League is zero terracing.  Sorry.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

If this happens it will be the first time in the 45 years I''ve been aware of[:O]

If Watling, South, Chase, Cooper or Doncaster had written it I would still have been laughing[;)]

[/quote]

Hi Nutty

I am a little curious as to why you would be laughing if Mr Watling had said this... I may be being very naive here, but I would be interested to hear why. Cheers

[quote user="B-ru"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hi Nutty

I am a little curious as to why you would be laughing if Mr Watling had said this... I may be being very naive here, but I would be interested to hear why. Cheers

[/quote]I can''t answer for Nutty, but under Watling we were (as we have usually been ) a selling club. Buying from lower down and selling on. Davies and Curran perhaps the most obvious but not only examples.

[quote user="missing in action"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="missing in action"]He is a clear and concise person, thats obvious from his past experience. obviously every business/club is different but he obviously has ideas that he wants to put to good use if given time and support. I do think this is possibly the best investment Delia could make, if you are crap with money and business, you let someone else handle it.
[/quote]

[/quote]
i wasnt clear enough, i meant taking more of a back seat. McNally is very hands on and sticks many fingers in many pies, and its good that he does.
[/quote]

No, I got the point you were making and it''s a good one. It''s just that this is nothing new. When Smith & Jones brought the shares from Watling and took control of the club they said something along the lines of no one person should make all the decisions like they had in the past. So they put a team in place to make those decisions. We can argue the rights and wrongs of such an approach but that''s the way it was. Smith & Jones are ultimately responsible because it was their decision to do things this way and I assume their decision to appoint whoever in the team. Remember Bob the grocer? He knew when to leave and his job here must look good on his cv, but did he just get lucky? Was it Worthy who got him out of jail because I always remember him being thick as thieves with Hamilton!

Anyway, I think we''re all agreed that what''s been missing since the days of Big Bad Bob the builder is real leadership from the top. Maybe we have that now, time will tell. But don''t expect to see all money from transfers out of the club  being spent on replacements coming in[;)]

I believe clubs have used terracing in the Prem blah- Fulham and Pompey when they first got promoted spring to mind.  Could be wrong but i vaguely recollect that clubs could plead an exemption.

Anyway, a trial often means the relaxing of a particular rule in one instance to see how it works.  It may be that there is absolutely no way it could be done, but i`d like to see us try.  Could be one situation where Delias public profile could work in our favour.

[quote user="B-ru"]

Hi Nutty

[/quote]

Because we were a selling club back in that time. Perhaps even more so than these days. Chase was even worse. It''s always been the way of it. The only time we really invested in football first was probably the first few years of Sir Arthur South and John Bond. Happy days where we even had a player who had scored in the World Cup Final on our books.[Y]

He also said seeking possible new investment, or potenial  new owners.

Now, with Delia saying she must be barking because she''s not sellintg up something doesn''t compute. She wouldn''t lie to us would she?[:O]

So when we were told we needed 16k crowds to break even a few years back (ie. to not have to sell players to balance the books), they were lying were they nutty?  How much of a transfer profit did we make in our play-off and promotion seasons?

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="B-ru"]

Hi Nutty

[/quote]

Because we were a selling club back in that time. Perhaps even more so than these days. Chase was even worse. It''s always been the way of it. The only time we really invested in football first was probably the first few years of Sir Arthur South and John Bond. Happy days where we even had a player who had scored in the World Cup Final on our books.[Y]

[/quote]

Thanks Nutty, do you think that there is a way that this system could have worked? Perhaps not selling our best players all the time, but the fringer players as Lambert is proposing in January?

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]So when we were told we needed 16k crowds to break even a few years back (ie. to not have to sell players to balance the books), they were lying were they nutty?  How much of a transfer profit did we make in our play-off and promotion seasons?[/quote]

Been out on that cherry picker again I see Mr Carrow. Surely that 16k quote was before the Jarrold was built[:^)]

To be honest I haven''t got a clue what point you are trying to make. They ALL lie to us. 45 years, from Ron Davies to Craig Bellamy. But of course it''s much, much harder now.

[quote user="B-ru"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="B-ru"]

Hi Nutty

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks Nutty, do you think that there is a way that this system could have worked? Perhaps not selling our best players all the time, but the fringer players as Lambert is proposing in January?

[/quote]

I think the main reason we are where we are is because the old system no longer works. There''s a lot more outside money coming into football through TV and investment but it''s going straight out of the game through wages, agents fees and interest payments. The whole structure now is wobbling on a pile of debt. Back in the days where we were succesfull a lot more money stayed in the game going round the clubs in transfer fees. Our place in this structure was perfect to exploit it. We could attract and afford players from the clubs beneath us and sell them on to the clubs generally above us. It doesn''t work like that anymore so we are now at a level where we can afford players who can compete. The good news is that I believe football will become sutainable again and when that happens we will return to, where I believe, is our rightful place among the top twenty clubs in the country.

I think Lamberts system can work this season and get us to the Champs. I think we can be established in the Champs. I don''t think we can get any further without a benefactor or a huge increase in debt.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]How good is it to read our Chief Exec talking about "when we are back in the premiership" we will need a 35,000-40,000 capacity stadium. I know talk is cheap but there does at least appear to be some genuine ambition there!

[/quote]

I think if we get to Wembley the size of our crowd will give a good indication as to how big our ground could be  

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]So when we were told we needed 16k crowds to break even a few years back (ie. to not have to sell players to balance the books), they were lying were they nutty?  How much of a transfer profit did we make in our play-off and promotion seasons?[/quote]

Been out on that cherry picker again I see Mr Carrow. Surely that 16k quote was before the Jarrold was built[:^)]

To be honest I haven''t got a clue what point you are trying to make. They ALL lie to us. 45 years, from Ron Davies to Craig Bellamy. But of course it''s much, much harder now.

[/quote]

Nutty I cannot believe what I am reading from you.

Delia never lies. The new chairman always tells the truth.

I believe them until youu can prove they are lieing

All comments that have tripped off your keyboard.

The minute I SAY I believe someone you go the other way!!

AND you got upset being accused of stirring.

HAPPY DAYS[:D]

My point is nutty, that when someone makes an argument you don`t like you go into the minutiae and find barely relevant details to pick at, but you are quite happy with massive generalisations when it suits you.  You said that we`ve always sold players and not re-invested the money in the team in the last 45 years, but that is actually untrue isn`t it?

Where has Nutty ever said Delia never lies?Or are you lying?Or am I lying about Nutty never lying about Delia telling lies?I''m confused.Although I could be ly ..........

Nutty, i seem to remember you posting something along the lines of  "If they have lied to us, i`ll be the first out there protesting".  Have you changed your mind?

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Nutty I cannot believe what I am reading from you.

Delia never lies. The new chairman always tells the truth.

All comments that have tripped off your keyboard.

The minute I SAY I believe someone you go the other way!!

AND you got upset being accused of stirring.

HAPPY DAYS[:D]

[/quote]

If you (and Mr Carrow) honestly don''t believe what I''m saying then you either have very short memories or have only supported the club a dozen years.

Robert Earnshaw, Dean Ashton, Craig Bellamy, Darren Eadie, Andy Johnson, Chris Sutton, Ruel Fox, John Newsome, Ashley Ward, Mark Robins, Efan Ekoku, Robert Fleck, Dale Gordon, Andy Townsend, Andy Linighan, Dave Watson, Justin Fashanu and Kevin Reeves all left our club for 1m or more. How many million pound players have we signed?

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]Nutty, i seem to remember you posting something along the lines of  "If they have lied to us, i`ll be the first out there protesting".  Have you changed your mind?[/quote]

No.

Cherry picking again Mr Carrow!

That was in direct reply to posters saying that Delia was lying about the amount of money she had invested in the club and lying about what she expected in return. One poster even suggested she had reclaimed her investment by syphoning the money out of the club without it showing in the accounts.

[/quote]

I still totally believe in that statement. If you want proof then it''s out there. When I have more time I''ll find it for you. In the mean time maybe you''d like to share Big Bobs statement about Chris Sutton?