Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Hooray for Forster

No mention of the lad''s great save last night. Far harder sto save than score I would say - even Jamie managed it !

We seem to have forgotten that he saved a penalty. Swindon didn''t miss.... hitting it wide, over the bar etc

We can score all our penalties but unless they miss or we save one we are not through.

So well done Fraser

He''s a super keeper and I actually believe that he is better than Marshall. Not only did he save the penalty, but he made a great one-on-one save in the first half.  If we had conceded, I think we would have lost, because for all of our great endeavour, we did not muster many shots at all.  

We must sign him up hes a cracking young goalkeeper, he is a good shot stopper and great at one on ones if he just improves his kicking he will be a great keeper.

He is great a saving and stopping shots, but every time he kicks the ball out i am worried that he is going to miss kick it. Last night he missed kicked it serval times, how can a professional goal keeper kick the ball out straight out for throw in?? Swindon knew he was weak at kickig and therefore had a man close by on every kick he took, this seemed to make him more nervous. including the crowd at times. However perfect for the pens.

How many other teams will pick up on this - maybe get someone else to take deadball kicks for him.

I can only wonder what effect the two extra poinst gained by Leeds and one dropped by us last month will have come May.

[quote user="City1st"]How many other teams will pick up on this - maybe get someone else to take deadball kicks for him. I can only wonder what effect the two extra poinst gained by Leeds and one dropped by us last month will have come May.[/quote]

It wasn''t all his fault. There were a couple of dodgy packpasses that he had to deal with very quickly last night. Any keeper would have had problems in those situations.

[quote user="City1st"]How many other teams will pick up on this - maybe get someone else to take deadball kicks for him.

I can only wonder what effect the two extra poinst gained by Leeds and one dropped by us last month will have come May.

[/quote]

Yeah but you could can say that kind of thing about all sorts. For example, what about the sitter Grant Holt missed in the Charlton game?

Or Chris Martin giving away the penalty at MK Dons?

It''s often mistakes that decide games, part of football.

Forster doesn''t kick the ball well but overall he''s been good for us and is part of a defence that is impressing every week.

[quote user="TomSlisz"]We must sign him up hes a cracking young goalkeeper, he is a good shot stopper and great at one on ones if he just improves his kicking he will be a great keeper.[/quote]We dont want to make the same mistake as we did with Marshall. We have two fine young keepers in reserve, keep Forster til the end of the season if possible but after that make Rudd number 1 and sign up an older keeper as experienced back up.

[quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="City1st"]How many other teams will pick up on this - maybe get someone else to take deadball kicks for him. I can only wonder what effect the two extra poinst gained by Leeds and one dropped by us last month will have come May.[/quote]

It wasn''t all his fault. There were a couple of dodgy packpasses that he had to deal with very quickly last night. Any keeper would have had problems in those situations.

[/quote]

eh ?

" Yeah but you could can say that kind of thing about all sorts.."

Yes. However this thread was about Fraser Forster so it''s not unusual to be reflecting on HIS part in events.

[quote user="king canary"][quote user="TomSlisz"]We must sign him up hes a cracking young goalkeeper, he is a good shot stopper and great at one on ones if he just improves his kicking he will be a great keeper.[/quote]We dont want to make the same mistake as we did with Marshall. We have two fine young keepers in reserve, keep Forster til the end of the season if possible but after that make Rudd number 1 and sign up an older keeper as experienced back up.[/quote]Marshall cost us about £1M. If Forster is cheaper then I think that maybe we should sign him. If not, Rudd should definately be our number 1 next season as when I compare his performance to his age, it makes me wonder what he could be like in a few years time.

I think he is a very good goalkeeper and bar from the kicking has the attributes to be a very good keeper.

[quote user="HazzaJet"][quote user="king canary"][quote user="TomSlisz"]We must sign him up hes a cracking young goalkeeper, he is a good shot stopper and great at one on ones if he just improves his kicking he will be a great keeper.[/quote]We dont want to make the same mistake as we did with Marshall. We have two fine young keepers in reserve, keep Forster til the end of the season if possible but after that make Rudd number 1 and sign up an older keeper as experienced back up.[/quote]Marshall cost us about £1M. If Forster is cheaper then I think that maybe we should sign him. If not, Rudd should definately be our number 1 next season as when I compare his performance to his age, it makes me wonder what he could be like in a few years time.[/quote]Its not about cost its about age. Forster is 21/22 I think and so would be looking to be our number one for a few years, thus relegating Rudd to the role of number two for a long time.

[quote user="king canary"][quote user="HazzaJet"][quote user="king canary"][quote user="TomSlisz"]We must sign him up hes a cracking young goalkeeper, he is a good shot stopper and great at one on ones if he just improves his kicking he will be a great keeper.[/quote]
We dont want to make the same mistake as we did with Marshall. We have two fine young keepers in reserve, keep Forster til the end of the season if possible but after that make Rudd number 1 and sign up an older keeper as experienced back up.
[/quote]
Marshall cost us about £1M. If Forster is cheaper then I think that maybe we should sign him. If not, Rudd should definately be our number 1 next season as when I compare his performance to his age, it makes me wonder what he could be like in a few years time.
[/quote]
Its not about cost its about age. Forster is 21/22 I think and so would be looking to be our number one for a few years, thus relegating Rudd to the role of number two for a long time.
[/quote]

It''s about ability and performance.

If Fraser Forster is a better ''keeper than Declan Rudd (at least in the eyes of Paul Lambert) then he should try to sign him (depending on finances).

It''s nice having good young players coming through the ranks but they should only be in the team on merit/if they''re the best option available to us.

I dont think Rudd has let us down in any game he has played, given a good run he is likely to prove himself to be a quality first team keeeper.   

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="king canary"][quote user="HazzaJet"][quote user="king canary"][quote user="TomSlisz"]We must sign him up hes a cracking young goalkeeper, he is a good shot stopper and great at one on ones if he just improves his kicking he will be a great keeper.[/quote]We dont want to make the same mistake as we did with Marshall. We have two fine young keepers in reserve, keep Forster til the end of the season if possible but after that make Rudd number 1 and sign up an older keeper as experienced back up.[/quote]Marshall cost us about £1M. If Forster is cheaper then I think that maybe we should sign him. If not, Rudd should definately be our number 1 next season as when I compare his performance to his age, it makes me wonder what he could be like in a few years time.[/quote]Its not about cost its about age. Forster is 21/22 I think and so would be looking to be our number one for a few years, thus relegating Rudd to the role of number two for a long time. [/quote]

If Fraser Forster is a better ''keeper than Declan Rudd (at least in the eyes of Paul Lambert) then he should try to sign him (depending on finances).

It''s nice having good young players coming through the ranks but they should only be in the team on merit/if they''re the best option available to us.

[/quote]I agree but Rudd has proven to be solid in the games he has had so far. In my eyes their are other areas of the squad that need money spent on them more than GK.

[quote user="king canary"][quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="king canary"][quote user="HazzaJet"][quote user="king canary"][quote user="TomSlisz"]We must sign him up hes a cracking young goalkeeper, he is a good shot stopper and great at one on ones if he just improves his kicking he will be a great keeper.[/quote]
We dont want to make the same mistake as we did with Marshall. We have two fine young keepers in reserve, keep Forster til the end of the season if possible but after that make Rudd number 1 and sign up an older keeper as experienced back up.
[/quote]
Marshall cost us about £1M. If Forster is cheaper then I think that maybe we should sign him. If not, Rudd should definately be our number 1 next season as when I compare his performance to his age, it makes me wonder what he could be like in a few years time.
[/quote]
Its not about cost its about age. Forster is 21/22 I think and so would be looking to be our number one for a few years, thus relegating Rudd to the role of number two for a long time.
[/quote]

[/quote]
I agree but Rudd has proven to be solid in the games he has had so far. In my eyes their are other areas of the squad that need money spent on them more than GK.
[/quote]

He''s done alright and I think he looks like he is/will be a good ''keeper. But you''d also have to say that in the games he has played he''s rarely been tested much.

A bit like Spillane at right back, people have praised up his performances in the couple of games he had there before injury but we didn''t play sides that really gave him something to think about.

These lads have still got a little way to go and I think, if they are good enough, then you can be pretty sure Paul Lambert will play them.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="king canary"][quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="king canary"][quote user="HazzaJet"][quote user="king canary"][quote user="TomSlisz"]We must sign him up hes a cracking young goalkeeper, he is a good shot stopper and great at one on ones if he just improves his kicking he will be a great keeper.[/quote]We dont want to make the same mistake as we did with Marshall. We have two fine young keepers in reserve, keep Forster til the end of the season if possible but after that make Rudd number 1 and sign up an older keeper as experienced back up.[/quote]Marshall cost us about £1M. If Forster is cheaper then I think that maybe we should sign him. If not, Rudd should definately be our number 1 next season as when I compare his performance to his age, it makes me wonder what he could be like in a few years time.[/quote]Its not about cost its about age. Forster is 21/22 I think and so would be looking to be our number one for a few years, thus relegating Rudd to the role of number two for a long time. [/quote]

[/quote]I agree but Rudd has proven to be solid in the games he has had so far. In my eyes their are other areas of the squad that need money spent on them more than GK. [/quote]

He''s done alright and I think he looks like he is/will be a good ''keeper. But you''d also have to say that in the games he has played he''s rarely been tested much.

A bit like Spillane at right back, people have praised up his performances in the couple of games he had there before injury but we didn''t play sides that really gave him something to think about.

These lads have still got a little way to go and I think, if they are good enough, then you can be pretty sure Paul Lambert will play them.

[/quote]Oh believe me I am not saying rudd is the finished article or that I am sure he will make it. But he does have obvious potential and people who know more about football than you or I seem to rate him. I just think it would be counter productive to spend money on a keeper who is only a couple of years and hinder his development to potential first team keeper, like we did with Marshall/Lewis.

[quote user="king canary"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="king canary"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
I agree but Rudd has proven to be solid in the games he has had so far. In my eyes their are other areas of the squad that need money spent on them more than GK.
[/quote]

[/quote]
Oh believe me I am not saying rudd is the finished article or that I am sure he will make it. But he does have obvious potential and people who know more about football than you or I seem to rate him. I just think it would be counter productive to spend money on a keeper who is only a couple of years and hinder his development to potential first team keeper, like we did with Marshall/Lewis.
[/quote]

That was a mistake. And, in my view, was mainly because Peter Grant was desperate to sign someone from Celtic. If I remember at the time we could have probably had Lee Camp for a fraction of what we paid for Marshall, he looked better when he was on loan than Marshall did. But yeah... Peter Grant...

I think we can trust Paul Lambert a bit more than our other recent managers, he knows money is tight here and he won''t waste it unless he knows he''s signing a player who will improve us. He won''t overlook someone for the sake of it.