Sign in to follow this  
Shaun Tilly Lace

Eighteen New Faces In Three Months!

What about that! I read in my EDP this morning that 18 new faces have played for City this season up to now. 32 players have represented City at a senior level so far this season, and of those, only 14 played before the start of the current campaign. I feel Team Lambo has brought the best out of those players and I''m not at all convinced that certain managers in recent years would have done likewise. In fact a lot of the youngsters would not have been given the opportunity to show what they are capable of under former managers.

Fair play in Lambert and co in allowing younger players to get into the first team and giving them the confidence to do well.

However, I''m not sure if this sudden in-flux of young players is down to the ability of the manager or the fact we are in a lower division playing weaker teams. Would some of the younger guys have done as well if we were still in the Championship, especially this year where the level of teams is as high as I can ever remember.

I really hope we can get past the next round of the cup and play a mid table Championship side, and really judge our current ability.

[quote user="Pablo Picarsole"]What about that! I read in my EDP this morning that 18 new faces have played for City this season up to now. 32 players have represented City at a senior level so far this season, and of those, only 14 played before the start of the current campaign. I feel Team Lambo has brought the best out of those players and I''m not at all convinced that certain managers in recent years would have done likewise. In fact a lot of the youngsters would not have been given the opportunity to show what they are capable of under former managers.[/quote]

The thing that''s impressed me most about Lambert is that he seems to treat the players like grown ups and doesn''t worry about giving them responsibility. Clearly he''s made it clear that it''s "my way or the highway", but the fact that youngsters have come in and performed without fear is a huge compliment to the management team and, indeed, the senior pros, because the atmosphere in the dressing room must be good.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

Fair play in Lambert and co in allowing younger players to get into the first team and giving them the confidence to do well.

However, I''m not sure if this sudden in-flux of young players is down to the ability of the manager or the fact we are in a lower division playing weaker teams. Would some of the younger guys have done as well if we were still in the Championship, especially this year where the level of teams is as high as I can ever remember.

I really hope we can get past the next round of the cup and play a mid table Championship side, and really judge our current ability.

[/quote]

How''s sunny Bethnal Green this morning? You make a good point about it being less of a challenge for youngsters to make it to the first team at our present level. I keep forgetting we are in the 3rd division, I must admit.