Sign in to follow this  
chipster

coffee break discussion

i need help as i couldnt come up with any one from norfolk to play for england, the closest i could get was cris sutton but not sure he played for england,this decended in to any other sports and i failed to come up with any there, can i get some help for tommorrows coffee break   cheers

[quote user="John Morlar"]Maurice Norman came from Mulbarton and I think was capped as a Spurs player ?[/quote]

He certainly was, over 20 times, and played in the 1962 World Cup. As for other sports, I''ll start you off with three England cricketers, Bill Edrich (born Blofield), John Edrich (Lingwood) and Peter Parfitt (Billingford)

Hi. I don''t think either Upson or Sutton were actually born in Norfolk, despite spending their formative years here. Mills was born in Norwich though.

I''m struggling to come up with any others. Martin Brundle was born in King''s Lynn represented his country, sort of!

[quote user="Karl Pilkington"]I thought Upson was from Diss......or went to Diss High School at least??[/quote]

I''m pretty sure he went to Sprowston. Sure I heard that from somewhere ...

I''m sure a few of the Norfolk bowlers who have represented England would have been born in the county. The likes of Mervyn King and John Ottaway certainly speak as though they are Norfolk born and bred.

[quote user="NCFC_Shaun"]

[quote user="Karl Pilkington"]I thought Upson was from Diss......or went to Diss High School at least??[/quote]

I''m pretty sure he went to Sprowston. Sure I heard that from somewhere ...

[/quote]

I''m sure he went to Sprowston High. He has relatives in Diss.

Both Upson and Lewis born in Suffolk I think

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

Is Mark Barham not from Norfolk?

[/quote]

I think he was born in Kent.

Roeder made that statement last year about players born in Norfolk. We don''t like it but I think it''s true. There really aren''t many who play at the highest level but I don''t understand why!

Tom Adeyemi was born in Norwich so fingers crossed.

I can remember trying to come up with a Norfolk XI on the way to an away game and it was to say the least grim. Here is one for your Norfolk born England players I think Clive Woods got a cap a staunch Norwich fan even while at Ipswich used to drive Robson mad by always wanting to know the Norwich score after scum games.

Matthew Upson was born in Hartismere hospital of Eye, which is just south of the Suffolk - Norfolk border and Diss.

[quote user="Beauseant"]Another England cricketer - Martin Saggers,  King''s Lynn born and bred.[/quote]And Fuller Pilch (born Horningtoft) undoubtedly would have been, had there been such a thing as an England cricket team when he was playing.

This is going to be vague but may jog somebodies memory, recently a young rugby player moved from Diss rugby club to the Leicester Tigers and was called up for the england rugby world cup team sorry but his name escapes me?

Hope this helps?????