Sign in to follow this  
Hucka Hucka Huckerby

Vital Football - Colchester United... Seriously, how bitter?????

Look Out, He’s Behind Us...!

In the blue corner, Aidy Boothroyd, helping Colchester United punch their weight this season. But what’s that coming over the hill? Why, Norwich City and Paul Lambert of course...!

We’ve had our fun so far this season, right?

Spanking Norwich 7-1 on the opening day of the season, replacing a certain ex-manager with perhaps an even bigger talent in Aidy Boothroyd and then plucking Kayode Odejayi from reserve obscurity only to place him among the goals.

But what’s that? Stop the press! Our not-so dear neighbours Norwich have brushed themselves up after our opening-day dressing-down and look ready to leapfrog us on points anytime soon? The initial gargantuan gap created when Kevin Lisbie and company ripped holes through their AWOL defence has shrunk to a few goals, one league placing and just three points. Fourth V Fifth? The heat is on!

So, should we be scared? No, I say, because it’s a bit early for pantomime. No prizes, by the way, for guessing that I won’t be rushing to rip up the season ticket at the prospect of possibly going toe-to-toe with City within the next few weeks as their decent results continue to propel them into promotion contention and right, as it presently still is, behind us in those standings.

Bring on Norwich; bring it all on! Bring on an inevitable war of words and the compensation-claim baggage. And bring on their manager, a guy never held with any great affection in Essex due to his unorthodox, albeit strong, approach to winning matches with United.

Bring on Grant Holt, too, a great striker at this level, who might have signed for United instead of City during the last transfer window. Use pride and bravado to suggest, besides, that Holt might just be eclipsed on any given day by Lisbie, a former City loanee who Norwich fans love to hate after his role in a very heated East Anglian derby exchange last season.

Some might say such boldness is misplaced, since Lambert`s win ratio as Norwich manager, although with more fixtures played, outshines Booythroyd`s already. We’re hanging onto a greasy pole, they’d suggest, while City are puffing their chests while finally keeping some consistency.

Have no fear! With a little creative accounting, some stat shifting, the facts can be transformed to advance Colchester’s case as much as they can City’s. They’re a bigger club? So what; we played them - the XI - not their reputations as individuals on the opening day and can do exactly the same come January. They’ll be out for revenge? Whatever; this game is a local derby, of sorts and we’ll be in our back yard when the rematch kicks-off.

And so the list of claims-and-counter claims might spiral, ad infinitum.
Sure, City are approaching.

To be fair it''s quite nice to see a bit of rivalry back in the mixer, without Ipswich it could have been a season without a real ''trophy match''. The 7-1 game and Lamberts switch has given us just that.

Just what we needed I say :-)

I''m afraid it is message board tripe - the same sort of tripe that regularly appears on this message board and most others.

I don''t actually know of anyone who belongs to the Colchester "Vital" board - vital it certainly is not.  If you take the time to look at the postings, the viewing and the number of replies that most threads get I think you will see that.

As far as I know we are focussed at the moment on H v Exeter, no doubt as most of you are on your next game.

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

I''m afraid it is message board tripe - the same sort of tripe that regularly appears on this message board and most others.

I don''t actually know of anyone who belongs to the Colchester "Vital" board - vital it certainly is not.  If you take the time to look at the postings, the viewing and the number of replies that most threads get I think you will see that.

As far as I know we are focussed at the moment on H v Exeter, no doubt as most of you are on your next game.

[/quote]

Thanks Cam

The poster is passionate about his club, does not abuse us as a club which took his club''s management team nor is there any of the personal abuse of Norfolk people/inbreed jibes or any other rubbish such as we regularly see from Ipswich posters.

It is another club''s fan''s point of view.  We have had a lot worse and certainly a lot more offensive on this board.  Is this was all there was the football world would be much more civilised than it is.

Can''t see what your problem is with it to be honest.

Agreed, I didn''t detect any bitterness there and post was eloquent without resorting to petty insults. Let''s face it, it''s nice to have a "local" derby this year with a bit of added spice after the early season goings on. I for one am looking forward to Jan 16th.

I thought it was quite a good post actually. If you were in his/her shoes you''ve beaten the team that pinched your manager 7-1 and all you get is people telling you your club are small time and unimportant. Bit of friendly banter/rivalry won''t do us any harm. 

Wow, they really see us their local rivals.For me, playing Colchester is no different to playing Brentford or Exeter.

[quote user="Beds Canary"]Wow, they really see us their local rivals.

For me, playing Colchester is no different to playing Brentford or Exeter.
[/quote]

LOL & comments like that will make them dislike us more... Sod ''em, I hope we stuff them in January & sing "there''s only one Paul Lambert" all afternoon!

[/quote]

Interesting that this messageboard regularly sees "tripe" posted on it.This from the man who is heading towards 5,000 posts in just over two years.

[/quote]

Come off it Cam, as you know, I post a lot on the Col Who offy board and your mob are as bitter as hell about us on there! Most want City to have points deducted over Lambert''s desire to come to us, and many wish administration on us.

Of course you''re not bitter!

I read it preparing to be offended but its OK, just someone passionate about Colchester, nothing wrong with that.

The antipathy towards Lambert that is quite often evident, was that as strong when he was your boss, Cam?

He is clearly strong and knows what he wants and isn''t, as a consequence, frightened about upsetting people-but, in contrast, if people do well, he lets them know and they are rewarded. He seems like a more balanced version of Roeder who knew how to criticise but was maybe not so strong on the arm around the shoulder thing?

I get the impression Lambert has really got the respect of the players in the same way a manager like Benitez or O''Neill does, maybe not their "pal" but they respect him and will do well for him.

Am glad Bothroyd has had a good start at Colchester, he was touted as the next big thing and even a possible future England Manager when things were going well for him at Watford-which was outrageous, as was, though, the claims he had been found out and was nothing but a route one manager when it all started to fall apart there.

I don''t get this Norwich/Colchester local derby thing or the interest going in either direction. They are no more a local derby than any London club.

I don''t think about Colchester anymore than say Carlisle or Gillingham, they are just another tinpot outfit like a lot of the smaller clubs in this crappy league that we find ourselves stuck in.

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

[/quote]

Come off it Cam, as you know, I post a lot on the Col Who offy board and your mob are as bitter as hell about us on there! Most want City to have points deducted over Lambert''s desire to come to us, and many wish administration on us.

[/quote]

Untrue, like many of your postings Mr Wizard.  The last time Norwich got a mention on the Colchester official board so far as I can see was October 18 when a thread about the January game evoked absolutely no replies at all.  Prior to that there was a thread on October 15 about possible songs for the January game which, to me, falls into the category of normal message board banter.  The previous threads have mostly concerned compensation - about which there are talks scheduled for this week between the two Chief Executives - which you made several attempts to hijack but, sadly, merely came across as a Wumpty.

If there are bitter fans at Colchester there is scant evidence on the message board as anyone can see for themselves.  You are well satisfied with Lambert and we are well satisfied with Boothroyd.

If you bother to read the Colchester threads you will find there has been very little debate about points deductions - a subject first raised by Colchester''s owner, not by the fans - and unless you are found to have committed some gross misdemeanour against FL rules is extremely unlikely in any case.  We are still hopeful that compensation can be settled by negotiation but, if that proves impossible, it will be left to the FL to decide, a ruling which will be binding on both sides.

Nor do I believe all but a few chavs will be worried by the "small club" tag.  Although we obviously wish more people would support us we have made a steady if unspectacular improvement over the last few seasons in an area dominated by Ipswich supporters (35 per cent of their season ticket holders have a Colchester postcode) together with huge historic support for Tottenham and West Ham to name but two.  I cannot see that we are ever going to beat that off.

However the "small club" is also one of our greatest strengths, in my opinion, and I believe that many Col U supporters are far closer to their club than is possible with a club the size of Norwich City.  We know all our players, often personally, and we have easy access to the owner, the Chief Executive and the Manager - we see them about in the town (often on a daily basis) and it certainly seems to me a much closer relationship than most of you are able to enjoy at Norwich.

I actually liked that post and it does manage to bring back some of the rivalry and there is a rivalry now, the big loss and the fact we nicked their manager is bound to cause some resentment from both camps, I can''t wait for the return match at their ground, and I hope to god that we smash them[:D]

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Untrue, like many of your postings Mr Wizard.  The last time Norwich got a mention on the Colchester official board so far as I can see was October 18 when a thread about the January game evoked absolutely no replies at all.  Prior to that there was a thread on October 15 about possible songs for the January game which, to me, falls into the category of normal message board banter.  The previous threads have mostly concerned compensation - about which there are talks scheduled for this week between the two Chief Executives - which you made several attempts to hijack but, sadly, merely came across as a Wumpty.

If there are bitter fans at Colchester there is scant evidence on the message board as anyone can see for themselves.  You are well satisfied with Lambert and we are well satisfied with Boothroyd.

If you bother to read the Colchester threads you will find there has been very little debate about points deductions - a subject first raised by Colchester''s owner, not by the fans - and unless you are found to have committed some gross misdemeanour against FL rules is extremely unlikely in any case.  We are still hopeful that compensation can be settled by negotiation but, if that proves impossible, it will be left to the FL to decide, a ruling which will be binding on both sides.

Nor do I believe all but a few chavs will be worried by the "small club" tag.  Although we obviously wish more people would support us we have made a steady if unspectacular improvement over the last few seasons in an area dominated by Ipswich supporters (35 per cent of their season ticket holders have a Colchester postcode) together with huge historic support for Tottenham and West Ham to name but two.  I cannot see that we are ever going to beat that off.

However the "small club" is also one of our greatest strengths, in my opinion, and I believe that many Col U supporters are far closer to their club than is possible with a club the size of Norwich City.  We know all our players, often personally, and we have easy access to the owner, the Chief Executive and the Manager - we see them about in the town (often on a daily basis) and it certainly seems to me a much closer relationship than most of you are able to enjoy at Norwich.

[/quote]

Utter hogwash Cam.

Even today there''s a thread, and its being discussed, whether or not Lambert (Or bootroyd) would be going to The Posh.

That seems pretty Norwich related to me!

Nothing in it offends me nor do I find it bitter. I would certainly think had there been message boards in the days of John Bond going to Man City, or Mike Walker going to Everton thing would have been far worse.

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Used to see the family oriented players down Hollywood Bowl quite a bit. I''d often go in there and see Iwan bowling or Paul McVeigh. I even saw him in there in a Northen Ireland shirt once. You''re right though in that there isn''t as much of a connection with the players these days but you still see them out and around the city from time to time. I''d hate to think how alienated the supporters of clubs like Chelsea, Liverpool and United are.

Not wishing to re-ignite the Lowestoft debate I think the Norwich players who put in an appearance at thei FA cup tie was a welcome sign of them being a bit more  ''connected'' to local fans. I am not aware of there being a similar contingent from Ipswich.

Who to believe....Wizard or Cam.....Wizard or Cam? Let me get the scales of justice out on the basis of all past evidence. Who tells porkies? Who makes claims that he alone can be trusted in the knowledge of impending change in ownership at NCFC? He who claims, on the one hand, he will never share the contents of private messages while, with the other hand, he uses the content to deride a fellow poster, while claiming he never received a private message wishing a return to good health? Let me see...let me see....who do I believe? Hell, it''s CAM and it''s a no-contest decision. [:D] 

[quote user="IncH_HigH"]

I don''t think about Colchester anymore than say Carlisle or Gillingham, they are just another tinpot outfit like a lot of the smaller clubs in this crappy league that we find ourselves stuck in.

[/quote]I think we should reserve such arrogance until we''ve got ourselves out of this ''crappy'' league.

Yeah i know,only joking... Its the same our end,it usaully gets worse at around 4 in the afternoon when they get home from school....

We''ve sneakily taken a manager of theirs that looked to be taking them places in controversial circumstances, taken one of their best goalscorers in the entirity of their history, and it wasn''t too long ago that we demolished ''em 5-1 (though it could be argued that they ''may'' have got their own back on that one [:$]). If you ask me, i believe they''d certainly have reason to be a ''little'' bitter (not that i think there is evidence of such in this article however).

[quote user="Old Shuck"]I read it preparing to be offended but its OK, just someone passionate about Colchester, nothing wrong with that. The antipathy towards Lambert that is quite often evident, was that as strong when he was your boss, Cam? He is clearly strong and knows what he wants and isn''t, as a consequence, frightened about upsetting people-but, in contrast, if people do well, he lets them know and they are rewarded. He seems like a more balanced version of Roeder who knew how to criticise but was maybe not so strong on the arm around the shoulder thing? I get the impression Lambert has really got the respect of the players in the same way a manager like Benitez or O''Neill does, maybe not their "pal" but they respect him and will do well for him. Am glad Bothroyd has had a good start at Colchester, he was touted as the next big thing and even a possible future England Manager when things were going well for him at Watford-which was outrageous, as was, though, the claims he had been found out and was nothing but a route one manager when it all started to fall apart there.[/quote]

There was not really antipathy towards Paul Lambert although it is fair to say that some of us had our reservations from quite early on but, by and large, he did a very good job for us, firstly shoring up a truly dreadful defence and taking things on from there in a reasonable but not staggering season.  Very early on he had a fans forum and, somewhat surprisingly, used part of it to launch a quite personal attack on a named player which so upset one of the officials of the Supporters Association that a formal complaint was made to the club.  However, subsequent events will have turned a lot of supporters against him, not his defection to Norwich (which is just what happens in football) but of his treatment of players who were out of favour.  His treatment of Elito, who was only 18 at the time, was pretty dreadful in my opinion and also reflects badly on the club that it was allowed to happen without anyone apparently knowing about it.  At that age they are supposed to have a "mentor" and he appeared to be nowhere in sight.

As far as I am concerned it is now water under the bridge and Lambert is certainly proving successful for you and I believe there is a good chance that Boothroyd will do the same for us.  As people they are absolute chalk and cheese and it''s an interesting study in man management in that one of the players frozen out by PL is now an absolute key player for Boothroyd: you might say the same -  that people frozen out by Roeder have returned to do reasonably well for you, in particular Chris Martin.  I think fans at Colchester felt that PL was always an arms length away, something which has changed completely with the arrival of Aidy. 

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

The poster is passionate about his club, does not abuse us as a club which took his club''s management team nor is there any of the personal abuse of Norfolk people/inbreed jibes or any other rubbish such as we regularly see from Ipswich posters.

It is another club''s fan''s point of view.  We have had a lot worse and certainly a lot more offensive on this board.  Is this was all there was the football world would be much more civilised than it is.

Can''t see what your problem is with it to be honest.

[/quote]

We did not take their manager, he resigned lol