Sign in to follow this  
pete_norw

Paul Inch

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

The original Wimbledon tried to kick everyone off the park.  I presume you didn''t play them much at the time?  Vinnie Jones later life has pretty much replicated his time with them as a star.  Some of you need to get out more or be considerably older.................

Bunch of thugs.  Good riddance.

[/quote]

Well its simple really if you break the rules consistently you give away free kicks and get players sent off and the opposition benefits. If Wimbledon want to play the game in that manner its their look out, just because they played ugly doesn''t mean its OK to snatch the team away from the fans.
[/quote]

How many of the posters on this thread saw the original Wimbledon play as opposed to the posters following the usual internet tripe?

Go on.

Did Norwich play Wimbledon or were you above that in your time?

[/quote]

Of course we did old timer it wasn''t that long ago.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]I find it impossible to get excited or angry about the way MK entered the League, as I believe factors beyond football are involved. Besides, the other towns, cities etc. that they leap-frogged have had decades to do something about their status. "Leap-frogging" is happening all the time in football, usually because of a rich backer. Blackburn to the Premiership, Chelsea to European competitions, and Ipswich to League 1 (joke) are just some exmples. Which is the most "unfair?" The fact that the Milton Keynes Borough has a population of 230. 000 (according to Wikipedia) and growing, is also relevant. New towns, new rules. The old Wimbledon were notorious for their extremely poor support. The area proved to be singularly disinterested in their team or it''s success. Gates of under 10, 000 in the top league were usual and just how they survived there for as long as they did remains a mystery. The club were so desperate that re-location to Ireland was even seriously considered at one stage. Dublin Dons could well have been a Football League side. I am more happy with MK Dons.[/quote]

Sorry it may be a new town but these are not new people. These are people who up until 5 years ago would have told you they supported someone else. The fact Mk is a new town or is growing quickly is not really relevant in my book as probably only about 5% of that population ar MK born and bred or even have traditional family connections with the area. If you are in favour of the MK concept then you are basically in favour of franchising and may as well go and stand shoulder to shoulder with that c**t of a chairman at Bolton.

And much as i dislike the way Blackburn bought the league title through Walker''s millions they gained promotion to get to the prem fair and square and worked their way up.

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

The original Wimbledon tried to kick everyone off the park.  I presume you didn''t play them much at the time?  Vinnie Jones later life has pretty much replicated his time with them as a star.  Some of you need to get out more or be considerably older.................

Bunch of thugs.  Good riddance.

[/quote]

Well its simple really if you break the rules consistently you give away free kicks and get players sent off and the opposition benefits. If Wimbledon want to play the game in that manner its their look out, just because they played ugly doesn''t mean its OK to snatch the team away from the fans.
[/quote]

How many of the posters on this thread saw the original Wimbledon play as opposed to the posters following the usual internet tripe?

Go on.

Did Norwich play Wimbledon or were you above that in your time?

[/quote]

As I am 50 I can easily remember Wimbledon in their pomp  and no I didn''t like them. That being said I would not wish what happened to them on any supporter even Ipswich. If Winkleman wanted a league side he should have invested in an existing local side and developed them as best he could.

And quite frankly Cam your comments I find about ''following the usual internet tripe'' I find patronising.

if it was such a big club ..why did he leave in the first place..?  mk donns have only been around a few years maybe he needs some history lessons as mk donns have not got alot ..!!!

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]I find it impossible to get excited or angry about the way MK entered the League, as I believe factors beyond football are involved. Besides, the other towns, cities etc. that they leap-frogged have had decades to do something about their status. "Leap-frogging" is happening all the time in football, usually because of a rich backer. Blackburn to the Premiership, Chelsea to European competitions, and Ipswich to League 1 (joke) are just some exmples. Which is the most "unfair?" The fact that the Milton Keynes Borough has a population of 230. 000 (according to Wikipedia) and growing, is also relevant. New towns, new rules. The old Wimbledon were notorious for their extremely poor support. The area proved to be singularly disinterested in their team or it''s success. Gates of under 10, 000 in the top league were usual and just how they survived there for as long as they did remains a mystery. The club were so desperate that re-location to Ireland was even seriously considered at one stage. Dublin Dons could well have been a Football League side. I am more happy with MK Dons.[/quote]

In fairness, Wimbledon FC were nomads who in almost their entire top league tenure were tenants at Selhurst Park, which is certainly not within walking distance of Wimbledon therefore the ''casual'' supporter couldn''t go. I think if Norwich were forced to groundshare away from the city you''d find our crowds would decrease as well.

In response to Cam, as a 29 year old, yes I do recall Wimbledon in the Premiership and I remember their unattractive hoofball tactics and crazy gang reputation. I think it''s unfair to label them as thuggish in any way. They were simply a ''hard'' team who occasionally stretched the rules but when they did, they were often punished by the ref. To say we are better off without them is unfair to the thousands of decent Wimbledon supporters. How would you like it if your beloved Colchester were relocated and rebranded?