Sign in to follow this  
dezmondo18

Selling grant holt

Any one else noticed the story on BBC about , if the right offer came in we may have to sell , this is a joke I hope as if he goes in jan kiss goodbye to seeing the championship nxt yer please don''t do this delia we need him more than any other player at the moment.

If we sell Holt the board can take a run & jump if they think they''re getting my renewal form filled out next year. I''d be f@cking livid!!!!

[quote user="Iwan is God"]He might have no choice[/quote]I really doubt it... if we are being forced to sell players, who will actually gain us money, they we might as well just fold....

no where in that article does it suggest to me that holt is on his way. lambert is just telling it how it is as he always does, every player has a price. however, in holts case we would never get in excess of 1m for him so it would be pointless to sell as promotion would see us gain over 1m in TV money etc anyway.

In the same article it also say''s, "that if the right money came in for him, we would fight tooth and nail not to let him go anywhere", depends on how you interpret it.

You have to look at Ronaldo''s move to Madrid for £80 million. In real terms he''s probably worth 4 times less than that at £20 million

So therefore I wouldn''t be happy for anything less than £5 million for Holt, given his age, experience and current form.

I''d worry where the goals and work rate upfront would come from, plus the leadership skills Holt offers we would miss greatly.

Norwich have traditionally been a ''selling club'' - either bringing kids through the youth team or from lower league clubs and selling them on for a profit.  Thats how we survived for years.  Sutton, Fleck, Watson, Bruce, the list goes on

Funnily enough we''ve been less of a selling club since the cook came in - partly down to the fact that we havent had the quality to sell but also because we''ve made more of an effort to keep them

Selling Holt is not a problem - as long as you replace him with someone of equal or better status.

Which leads to another question - if you had to sell Holt or Hoolahan, who would you choose?

If Burnley were willing to offer 600K for Russell, I wouldn''t be surprised if they came in and offered at least 1 million for Holt, as I think he can do a job in the Premiership.  Personally, Holt is worth at least 2 million to us, and if we sell him it is footballing-suicide.  

I saw the same article in another web page, only it was the Shrewsbury boss saying it, so I take this with a pinch of salt, and believe someone is playing around with the keyboards in a press office

[quote user="Norfolk Lutonian "]

You have to look at Ronaldo''s move to Madrid for £80 million. In real terms he''s probably worth 4 times less than that at £20 million

So therefore I wouldn''t be happy for anything less than £5 million for Holt, given his age, experience and current form.

I''d worry where the goals and work rate upfront would come from, plus the leadership skills Holt offers we would miss greatly.

[/quote]

Now This did Make me Chuckle

5 million For Grant Holt You are Having a Laugh Rite Mate ?? ? ??

I Know Holt''s a Good Player at This Level But Please

And as For Ronaldo, Im not Sure How Youve Done Your Sums for that One But Players Are ''worth'' Whatever is Payed For them, Which Then Accordinaly Alters the Cost and the Value For Players Better than Themselves Or at Least In range of There Quality. Alright, Madrid Might have Paid Over the Top But Now Because of That Transfer Players Like messi Are Now worth 100 + Million

And im Afraid To Say Holt is Not in the Same League as Messi etc etc So the Ronaldo Transfer Doesnt effect Him And his ''price'' in the Slightest

If it Went on Your Sums ''4 times there Value'' A Good Championship Striker Is Now worth 20 million lol,

If Holt was 18 In his Form 5 milion would be Reasonable But please Do You realy Think he''d Be able to score 20+ Goals In the Premiership ??

[quote user="Barclay hero"]

Norwich have traditionally been a ''selling club'' - either bringing kids through the youth team or from lower league clubs and selling them on for a profit.  Thats how we survived for years.  Sutton, Fleck, Watson, Bruce, the list goes on

[/quote]

I agree with this but the players we sold were either youngsters brought through or players we''d signed cheaply from lower divisions who subsequently proved their worth at a much higher level.

Grant Holt isn''t any of these. He''s 28 and has had lots of clubs at this level and below. He has also scored lots of goals at this level and below. He''s certainly not an "unknown quantity". He was available for 500,000 in the summer and we can probably assume we are the best club that came in for him. Surely no League One club could prise him away from us. So it would have to be a Championship Club. Why would one of those offer 1m when he was available for half that 6 months earlier?

I hope Grant Holt proves he can step up to Championship level and I hope he does it with us.

[quote user="Salford City YELLOW"]no where in that article does it suggest to me that holt is on his way. lambert is just telling it how it is as he always does, every player has a price. however, in holts case we would never get in excess of 1m for him so it would be pointless to sell as promotion would see us gain over 1m in TV money etc anyway.[/quote]

If Holt is offered better money and a long contract elsewhere, he''ll go - the career of a professional footballer is not long and he''d look to secure the future for him and his family.

I think the risk is for all clubs at this level is that someone comes in and offers a far better personal deal to the player.  It is not necessarily the selling price that clinches it but the personal terms.  I''ve seen it happen quite a lot over the years. 

If we carry on like we are we could well be in the top 2 come January and Holt could well be on 20 goals.  So we will have offers made for him, Leicster had it last year with Fryatt.  Unless the offer is of a ridiculous amount (1 million +) we will ot sell, not because of the board but because Lambert won''t let it happen.  All Lambert was saying in that interview was that every player has a price and all clubs best players end up being wanted by bigger clubs and sometimes the smaller clubs can''t say no to the offer.  Now, lots of our players will have offers made for them in January but I don''t think it''s Holt we should worry about, more like Hoolahan or Russel.

[quote user="dezmondo18"]Any one else noticed the story on BBC about , if the right offer came in we may have to sell , this is a joke I hope as if he goes in jan kiss goodbye to seeing the championship nxt yer please don''t do this delia we need him more than any other player at the moment.[/quote]I have never seen a worse interpretation of an article!"Norwich manager Paul Lambert has admitted he could not force Grant Holt to stay if the right offer came along."First of all this is the BBC''s words and second it says he couldn''t force Holt to stay - that suggests if a bigger club came along and he wanted to go there would be little Lambert or the club could do about it. Essentially it then goes on to quote Simpson from the Shrews point of view, Lambert from our point of view and then Holt for his views.Holt says: "I had a chat with him and expressed my feelings that I had to go. It was an opportunity where the club was too big not to go. He agreed and I''m thankful to him for that."So Holt thinks we are a big club - too big not to go to infact which suggests he wouldnt have left them for just any old League two club. And to be fair why would he, he would want a club challenging for promotion - it may not have started off that way but it is looking like it now and mainly due to him. This is no slight to Colchester but if you had a Norwich, Charlton or Leeds sniffing about I am not sure Colchester are in the same bracket.The beeb reporter writes: The Norwich manager says the 28-year-old, who he has made captain, has been the leading light of his team.

And quotes Lambert:

"He''s

been brilliant, there''s no doubt he''s been absolutely colossal for me,"

said Lambert. "Shrewsbury''s loss has been Norwich''s gain. Everybody''s got a price, but from our point of view you''d fight tooth and nail for him not to go anywhere.

So in that context he seems to be refering to the every player has their price in context to getting Holt in from Shrewsbury and then makes it clear enough that Holt is one player you don''t want to let go. I don''t think its a clear cut case of make us an offer at all. It actually a quite frank interview with some fairly honest professionals.

And to be fair Martin O''Neill is pretty similar. I think he said the same things more than a couple of times when Barry kept banging on about leaving Villa.

In fairness EVERY player does have a price. Arsene Wenger knows it, Fergie knows it. There is no club that won''t sell for the right price.

[quote user="SuperChrisyMartin"][quote user="Norfolk Lutonian "]

[/quote] Now This did Make me Chuckle 5 million For Grant Holt You are Having a Laugh Rite Mate ?? ? ?? I Know Holt''s a Good Player at This Level But Please And as For Ronaldo, Im not Sure How Youve Done Your Sums for that One But Players Are ''worth'' Whatever is Payed For them, Which Then Accordinaly Alters the Cost and the Value For Players Better than Themselves Or at Least In range of There Quality. Alright, Madrid Might have Paid Over the Top But Now Because of That Transfer Players Like messi Are Now worth 100 + Million And im Afraid To Say Holt is Not in the Same League as Messi etc etc So the Ronaldo Transfer Doesnt effect Him And his ''price'' in the Slightest If it Went on Your Sums ''4 times there Value'' A Good Championship Striker Is Now worth 20 million lol, If Holt was 18 In his Form 5 milion would be Reasonable But please Do You realy Think he''d Be able to score 20+ Goals In the Premiership ??[/quote]

I don''t think you understood the anology and there''s not point explaining it to you as you won''t get it.

However I don''t think we''d ever get £5 million for Holt not in a million years as thats a ridiculous sum of money! But personally I think at least how much it would cost us if we weren''t to be promoted this season. The way he''s playing and how much we would miss him as a team I would certiainly slap that price tag on his head.

IMO this is one of those ''something and nothing'' articles - clearly some questions were asked, and answered along the lines that you''d expect: ie that we want to keep our best players but everyone has a price. This is nothing new, and can be said about every player at every club in the country, it is just being put in a slightly different context.

One question would be who might take a punt on Holt. You''d think only one of the better Champs sides would turn his head (given how things are going at the moment), but would they be interested? For one reason or another he seems to have a reputation for being a League 1/2 striker, so it is perhaps far more likely that he''ll achieve promotion with a side (hopefully us) and make his mark in the higher league that way, rather than being transferred in.

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Where would Grant Holt go though?

[/quote]

Why would Paul Lambert go though?

[/quote]

Is he going too?

[quote user="Norfolk Lutonian "][quote user="SuperChrisyMartin"][quote user="Norfolk Lutonian "]

[/quote] Now This did Make me Chuckle 5 million For Grant Holt You are Having a Laugh Rite Mate ?? ? ?? I Know Holt''s a Good Player at This Level But Please And as For Ronaldo, Im not Sure How Youve Done Your Sums for that One But Players Are ''worth'' Whatever is Payed For them, Which Then Accordinaly Alters the Cost and the Value For Players Better than Themselves Or at Least In range of There Quality. Alright, Madrid Might have Paid Over the Top But Now Because of That Transfer Players Like messi Are Now worth 100 + Million And im Afraid To Say Holt is Not in the Same League as Messi etc etc So the Ronaldo Transfer Doesnt effect Him And his ''price'' in the Slightest If it Went on Your Sums ''4 times there Value'' A Good Championship Striker Is Now worth 20 million lol, If Holt was 18 In his Form 5 milion would be Reasonable But please Do You realy Think he''d Be able to score 20+ Goals In the Premiership ??[/quote]

I don''t think you understood the anology and there''s not point explaining it to you as you won''t get it.

However I don''t think we''d ever get £5 million for Holt not in a million years as thats a ridiculous sum of money! But personally I think at least how much it would cost us if we weren''t to be promoted this season. The way he''s playing and how much we would miss him as a team I would certiainly slap that price tag on his head.

[/quote]Simply put he is worth more to us than the amount he is likely to fetch in terms of a transfer fee.He is looking to be a capable mid championship striker at least at the moment and so getting us promotion and then finishing somewhere around mid table in the champ has its own value in terms of income for the club and financial stability.If he was to go and we were to fail to gain promotion as a result (lets say we don''t find an alternative to replace him which is likely considering how long it has taken to find someone of his stature), then not only would we not get promotion we may be forced to sell other players for sums less than they are actually worth in terms of a transfer fee due to needing to get rid of wages etc and to bring in money to balance the books.When you look at it like that we would then be playing the bargin basement - bottom of the barrell risk game in the hope of turning up some gems of cheapies/freebies that we could afford and that would still make us competetive at this level. In terms of long term value I would argue that players like Holt are worth even more than the £5million that NL suggests.Its not really that difficult to understand really.

I think this has only made the headlines because Lambert has gone public about sying such a thing, I think if you look at most cubs inthe football league who are doin well, key players will be linked elsewhere.

No we dont have alot of money, but not many clubs do.

I cant see Holt going anywhere, think how many times Beckford was linked away from Leeds, never happened, and I hope it doesnt too Holt.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Where would Grant Holt go though?

[/quote]

Why would Paul Lambert go though?

[/quote]

Is he going too?

[/quote]

Why not? He may take Holt with him....in January.

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="Norfolk Lutonian "][quote user="SuperChrisyMartin"][quote user="Norfolk Lutonian "]

[/quote]

Simply put he is worth more to us than the amount he is likely to fetch in terms of a transfer fee.

He is looking to be a capable mid championship striker at least at the moment and so getting us promotion and then finishing somewhere around mid table in the champ has its own value in terms of income for the club and financial stability.

If he was to go and we were to fail to gain promotion as a result (lets say we don''t find an alternative to replace him which is likely considering how long it has taken to find someone of his stature), then not only would we not get promotion we may be forced to sell other players for sums less than they are actually worth in terms of a transfer fee due to needing to get rid of wages etc and to bring in money to balance the books.

When you look at it like that we would then be playing the bargin basement - bottom of the barrell risk game in the hope of turning up some gems of cheapies/freebies that we could afford and that would still make us competetive at this level. In terms of long term value I would argue that players like Holt are worth even more than the £5million that NL suggests.

Its not really that difficult to understand really.
[/quote]

Correct Chicken 100% maybe 200% if we''re using the current analogy lol