Sign in to follow this  
aka_riise

Celtic's John Kennedy retires

Noooo! John was a class act, and had he lasted the hwole season with us, there is no doubt we would have stayed up.

Good Luck!!

Marcin Wasilewski, if you haven''t seen the video, go toYoutube

NOT FOR TEH FAINT HEARTED

So another talented footballer''s career has ended due to injury. He really looked the part here last season. It was a real shame he got injured here and had to go back early. I thought he was a solid defender. However I cannot say I''m surprised given how many injuries he has had. Good luck for the future John.

Very sad news indeed. I was at the match where the injury first occurred (Scotland v Romania) around 2005 and it has to be one of the most horrible, vicious and downright unacceptable tackles I have witnessed in the flesh, particularly in a friendly. It is absolutely unfair that the perpetrator of that tackle Vionel Ganea had a long and successful career including a spell in the Premiership with Wolves whereas Kennedy has to retire at such a young age. I hope he successfully sues him, such was the absolutely unacceptable nature of the tackle. [:(]

sad news. Had forgotten about him, but makes you think. I just drifted off into .....what if we could have signed Martin Taylor, then a fit John Kennedy. What could that have led to? Roeder probably still here challenging for promotion to the Prem, maybe even there already......what a funny ol ''game

I can''t find it on You Tube unfortunately B-Ru. I imagine Sky Sports News will probably show it when they report it later on. I can assure you though, it was a late, knee-high stamp which at the time, me and my mates at the game went ballistic about. It was truly sickening actually. On his Scotland debut as well which makes it all the more saddening.

B-ru that just ugly, thanks for bringing that too my attention, so shocked that anyone would put a tackle in like that! Just horrible. Do you know anything on the length of the ban that t w a t got?

OMG, I didn''t realise he hadn''t even played 50 games for Celtic!!

I remember reading ages ago that he was linked with AC Milan!!

3 months is pathetically small ban, and such a small fine, is that really going to deter him from doing it again?Another player who looses a year of his career because of someones stupidity.Great shame about John, one of the best if not the best defender we have had at the club since Malky!!

[quote user="B-ru"]

OMG, I didn''t realise he hadn''t even played 50 games for Celtic!!

I remember reading ages ago that he was linked with AC Milan!!

[/quote]yeah he was being chased by all the top european clubs when e was bursting onto the scenegreat shame for football to lose such a fantastic player to stupidity on ganea''s part.

[quote user="canaryjock"]Very sad news indeed. I was at the match where the injury first occurred (Scotland v Romania) around 2005 and it has to be one of the most horrible, vicious and downright unacceptable tackles I have witnessed in the flesh, particularly in a friendly. It is absolutely unfair that the perpetrator of that tackle Vionel Ganea had a long and successful career including a spell in the Premiership with Wolves whereas Kennedy has to retire at such a young age. I hope he successfully sues him, such was the absolutely unacceptable nature of the tackle. [:(][/quote]

A nasty vicious thug playing for Wolves; who would have thought.

There''s a wonderful irony that Martin Taylor''s name has cropped up on a thread bemoaning career threatening tackles. I''m not saying he did it on purpose, or that the other guy didn''t.But if you tackle with your studs up, you''re gonna hurt someone. Fact.

I think it became quite clear that Taylor got caught out purely and simply by sheer amazing speed of feet and otherwise it would not have been a studs up challenge. Quite different I believe from the challenges being discussed.

No shame for me im afraid, i couldnt stand the guy when he was here, was worse than Doc on a bad day.The guy had about 3 good games for us, got injured and was then rubbish, slow as a tree, turned as fast as a wheelie bin and was a total liability. I really dont see what city fans ever saw in him, his first 3 games he was great but terrible after that and i was glad to see him go.I once watched him at home sky player cam style and he made 15 errors in the first half, either fouls, missed tackles, poor headers or poor distribution. Was ''involved'' for a lot of conceded goals, along with Omozusi, and this seemed to continue every game i saw him after that. It was no surprise that our defence and form picked up a bit after he left.

[quote user="B-ru"]

Noooo! John was a class act, and had he lasted the hwole season with us, there is no doubt we would have stayed up.

Good Luck!!

[/quote]

Ya having a laugh!

we only got Kennedy cause he was an injured liability!

Yes he showed in a few games that he could play but in the majority of his games his fitness levels wern''t good enough which meant that he wasn''t good enough!

[quote user="Barclayman"]No shame for me im afraid, i couldnt stand the guy when he was here, was worse than Doc on a bad day.

The guy had about 3 good games for us, got injured and was then rubbish, slow as a tree, turned as fast as a wheelie bin and was a total liability. I really dont see what city fans ever saw in him, his first 3 games he was great but terrible after that and i was glad to see him go.

I once watched him at home sky player cam style and he made 15 errors in the first half, either fouls, missed tackles, poor headers or poor distribution. Was ''involved'' for a lot of conceded goals, along with Omozusi, and this seemed to continue every game i saw him after that. It was no surprise that our defence and form picked up a bit after he left.
[/quote]

This is a a frankly ridiculous and ignorant response. You sir, have no heart.

The guy has just been forced to retire due to the injuries he sustained PRIOR to joining Norwich. Surely this is a mitigating factor for, in your subjective opinion, below average performances? In the opinion of many up here in Scotland, Norwich was his last chance to see if he could be as good a player as he promised to be prior to the injury (as I''ve previously stated, the worst tackle I''ve ever seen in the flesh, without question, totally barbaric and in a friendly too) so to come out with a statement like that, is ignorant in the extreme and gives you no credibility whatsoever imo.

Being honest, Barclaymans summary of what Kennedy done for us last season is very true - Had a few good games at the beginning then after that he was very poor and just a slow injury prone liability!

Like I said before we only got him cause he was a crock and like Stefanovic was far inferior to the under rated centreback many Norwich fans ridiculously slag of - the Doc!

But yes it is a shame for Kennedy whats happened cause injuries aside he looked like he couild of been a top centreback!

Very sad for John, and a shame for football. But, how many of us slated Roeder for not pushing the boat out to sign him? Had we done so we would have had a liability on the books for a couple of seasons, and no doubt a hefty bunch of medical fees.

[quote user="canaryjock"]

[quote user="Barclayman"]No shame for me im afraid, i couldnt stand the guy when he was here, was worse than Doc on a bad day.The guy had about 3 good games for us, got injured and was then rubbish, slow as a tree, turned as fast as a wheelie bin and was a total liability. I really dont see what city fans ever saw in him, his first 3 games he was great but terrible after that and i was glad to see him go.I once watched him at home sky player cam style and he made 15 errors in the first half, either fouls, missed tackles, poor headers or poor distribution. Was ''involved'' for a lot of conceded goals, along with Omozusi, and this seemed to continue every game i saw him after that. It was no surprise that our defence and form picked up a bit after he left.[/quote]

The guy has just been forced to retire due to the injuries he sustained PRIOR to joining Norwich. Surely this is a mitigating factor for, in your subjective opinion, below average performances? In the opinion of many up here in Scotland, Norwich was his last chance to see if he could be as good a player as he promised to be prior to the injury (as I''ve previously stated, the worst tackle I''ve ever seen in the flesh, without question, totally barbaric and in a friendly too) so to come out with a statement like that, is ignorant in the extreme and gives you no credibility whatsoever imo.

[/quote]oh shut up you fool, i was merely giving my opinion of the player and his performance with us, albeit with no sympathy whatsoever for his enforced retirement (forgive me if i dont shed a tear for a rich professional footballer having to stop playing football and start earning a still substantial sum of money working for tv or radio etc).My opinion is that Kennedy was very poor for us and was instrumental in our inability to keep a clean sheet. If you remember the time he was here we conceded all the time and didnt keep a single clean sheet with him in the team.As i said great for the first 3 games then terrible after that, IN MY OPINION TO WHICH IM ENTITLED TO AIR IN THE FREE WORLD VIA THE MEDIUM OF T''INTERNET.

[quote user="canaryjock"]

[quote user="Barclayman"]No shame for me im afraid, i couldnt stand the guy when he was here, was worse than Doc on a bad day.The guy had about 3 good games for us, got injured and was then rubbish, slow as a tree, turned as fast as a wheelie bin and was a total liability. I really dont see what city fans ever saw in him, his first 3 games he was great but terrible after that and i was glad to see him go.I once watched him at home sky player cam style and he made 15 errors in the first half, either fouls, missed tackles, poor headers or poor distribution. Was ''involved'' for a lot of conceded goals, along with Omozusi, and this seemed to continue every game i saw him after that. It was no surprise that our defence and form picked up a bit after he left.[/quote]

[/quote]haha thats laughable, so we should excuse a player for being $hit if he''s been injured before and keep him in the team as a sympathy vote cause he''s had it rough with injuries? How can you make a SUBJECTIVE opinion on somebody if your making allowances for his previous injury when deciding if you think he''s good or not! hahahah your an idiot!!!

I seem to remember last season, we started with Stefanovic and Kennedy in the middle of defence, and didn''t do too badly.

In the first 6 league games, which Kennedy played in we conceded 8 goals, 1.3 goals a game.

In the rest of the season after he was injured, 40 games, we conceded 62 goals, which is although not much, is more per game than with him in it (1.55). So clearly he wasn''t that bad!