Sign in to follow this  
Mister Chops

Does Bryan Gunn's "legend" status still apply?

I''m curious about this because a number of people have posted that he''s no longer a legend.  Now I don''t think you can separate Gunn the player from Gunn the manager - they are the same person, after all.  So, after his time in charge of the club, who thinks Bryan Gunn is still a Norwich City legend?I''ll go first - I do, just about, but whereas once I''d have been delighted to meet him and shake his hand, nowadays I''d probably just nod at him from across the room.  The way he campaigned for the job, ballsed it up, campaigned for it again and then cocked it up royally leaves a bad taste in the mouth, but all the games he played and the saves he made and the headbutts on the Barclay end crossbar can''t be erased from history.

I''ll go second. He is the symbol of the Delia and Co legacy. A muppet man that thought he could cut the mustard. He got us relegated. End of story.

I think he will always be a ledgend.  His playing carear speaks for itself.  Obviously his managment carear was not up to scratch, however he tried and did what is obvioulsy a difficult job to the best of his ability. He worked all the hours that god sent when in charge and was obvioulsy hurt by his failure to perform.  I am sure that in a few years his short period of managment will be forgotten and he will be fully rehabilitated to the legednary status he deserves.

For me his playing career and management are separate parts, same with Maradona as an example, had he not got Argentina to world cup as manager - sure it would have tarnished his reputation but in many people''s eyes he would have always been a legend for what he did as a player.

Gunn was a great player for us, ultimately in time it will say he tried management but that sentence will stop there. The quicker we get back the more likely people are to forget Gunn''s failiure and just remember him as a player.

I agree with Sir Quinny, anf just look at the diamond he unearthed in Cody Mac, brought the horse to the club too.

I agree with Sir Quinny, and just look at the diamond he unearthed in Cody Mac, brought the horse to the club too.

[quote user="Santa"]I''ll go second. He is the symbol of the Delia and Co legacy. A muppet man that thought he could cut the mustard. He got us relegated. End of story.[/quote]Interesting.  So is Lambert also a symbol of the Delia and Co legacy?

You''ve only got to look at the news in the past week or so ,that Gunn has taken a job outside of football for a telecommunications company to confirm that his was the most diabolial managerial appointment at this and possibly any other football club. Afterall, how many other "football managers" would take that career path if they were serious about their profession. Yes, the board at the time must take the blame in appointing him, but at the same time Gunn must shoulder plenty of blame for putting himself forward for it.

I remember just prior to him taking the job full time the question was put to him of "should it go wrong ,would he be concerned that it would affect his status at the club", and he answered that "it was the major concern when weighing up whether to take the job"

I''m afraid that it naturally will have to have damaged his status at the club, if nothing else purely by the shear nature of remembering more clearly the last thing that happened but in my opinion because it could have been so avoided, not least by Gunn himself..

For me , Gunny will always be a legend.

As a player he was great for us.

I will always remember him squaring up to Lothar Mattheus during our European run..

As a man he has had to bear tragedy in his family, and how he coped with that is an exmple to us all.

As an ambassador and representative for the club , he put his heart and soul into all he did.

Nothing should erase those memories.

The management thing for me is a completely seperate issue.

Its understandable that he should put himself forward, but he should never have been considered , it was a desperate act by S&J and the rest of the previous board, they had run out of ideas and gambled on emotion being enough to rescue us.

The rest is history, but if any good came out of it, its that now we finally have ruthless, hard nosed,and professional people over ruling the woolly thinking of the owners.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Santa"]I''ll go second. He is the symbol of the Delia and Co legacy. A muppet man that thought he could cut the mustard. He got us relegated. End of story.[/quote]Interesting.  So is Lambert also a symbol of the Delia and Co legacy?[/quote]

McNally, Lambert and Co are the last chance saloon before administration/protests. Its lovely to be winning every week, the facts remaing that we are in League 1.

Back to the original thread, Gunn will be remembered by me as the unexperienced manager, who thought that he could fart higher than his ass.

Was a quite decent (but now retired) keeper who played for us....Seemed like a nice and plausible bloke (spoke to him on occasion)....Just not a very successful manager of NCFC.

I don''t mind Gunn having NCFC legend status. 

There are a few ''legends'' (one or two added to ''legend status'' fairly recently)....who I feel don''t really deserve to be ''legends'' of NCFC.  

BUT, why blame Gunn entirely? Who appointed him initially, then reappointed him?...Then stated at a London based fan forum, that they were 100% behind him? But, after a 4-0 away win a couple of days later, voted unanimously to get rid of him?

60% of those responsible for Gunn''s appointment, are still at the helm....one of those who I believe was largely responsible for our abject failure and demise - has thankfully gone North of the Border. 

Those who appointed Gunn haven''t now got it all their own way....and look at the improvement!

Not entirely Gunn''s fault.....

Legend ....NO . His pathetic attempt at being  football manager , had no effect on his  very average career with Norwich City. We have had some legendary keepers ....in my opinion he is not one of them. Try sandy Kennon , or Kevin Keelan for a start.

Yes he is. PL is now doing wonders with the team that Gunny assembled. We shall never know how different things might have been but for the errors of Semi and Theo in  particular in that first game. I suspect that PL is a better manager in many respects. Whether he will prove to be as loyal a servant of the club, we wait to see.

[quote user="Salopian"]Yes he is.

PL is now doing wonders with the team that Gunny assembled. We shall never know how different things might have been but for the errors of Semi and Theo in  particular in that first game. I suspect that PL is a better manager in many respects. Whether he will prove to be as loyal a servant of the club, we wait to see.
[/quote]

Still cant believe there are people out there who are claiming that this is a team that Gunn assembled!!, there are currently all of  TWO of Gunn''s signings in our starting XI

Never fitted the legend mode for me - hall of famer yes,  legend no.  For me a legend is one of THE all time great characters for a club.

Bryan has been a good ambassador, a great keeper (but not even in our clubs top 3 Keelan, woods, green all better of the ones I have watched) and a shockingly poor scout and manager.  Off the pitch he has experienced some unimaginable lows and worked hard to create some charitable highs.  I too have met him and he is more likable than most footballers than most but I could not warm to him,  as that professional players arrogance remained there.

[quote user="We Deserve better"]just look at the diamond he unearthed in Cody Mac[/quote]????I mean, Cody''s ok and has some potential, but diamond?

If something goes wrong at home, we tend to blame one another rather than looking at ourselves.

I just wonder if, within the family, he secretly blames his Daughter for running the campaign, i could just imagine him sulking about it now... "If it wasnt for her trying to show off i would still be working for the club... bah!"

I still think that if the board had made the right decision as regards Roeder''s replacement we would still be in the Championship. Bryan was so eager to take the job that he convinced our naive board that he had what it takes to be the manager of a football club, with disastrous consequences. Due to this, his halo has slipped somewhat as far as I''m concerned and therefore his legendary status has diminished in my eyes. They say that time is a great healer and so I suppose his standing may well return to its pre-management level in a few years time when this depressing little episode will have faded in our memories.

[quote user="Santa"]I''ll go second. He is the symbol of the Delia and Co legacy. A muppet man that thought he could cut the mustard. He got us relegated. End of story.[/quote]

I agree Santa, a tarnished, greedy legend.

Gunn is still a legend from my point of view. I know he certainly was no great manager and didn''t make many good signings as he had no managing experience, but we must remember him for signing Grant Holt, who in my opinion is our best player at the moment. I know it''s the same person, but I don''t see how someone coming back to manage one of their former clubs and failing dreadfully can remove their legendry status as a player. So to me he''s still a legendry player.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Santa"]I''ll go second. He is the symbol of the Delia and Co legacy. A muppet man that thought he could cut the mustard. He got us relegated. End of story.[/quote]

I agree Santa, a tarnished, greedy legend.

[/quote]

I agree with most of that,apart from the greedy part.I don''t think money came into it.I still can''t understand why him and the board couldn''t see that he didn''t have what it takes!

Tarnished is the perfect word!!

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Never fitted the legend mode for me - hall of famer yes,  legend no.  For me a legend is one of THE all time great characters for a club.

Bryan has been a good ambassador, a great keeper (but not even in our clubs top 3 Keelan, woods, green all better of the ones I have watched) and a shockingly poor scout and manager.  Off the pitch he has experienced some unimaginable lows and worked hard to create some charitable highs.  I too have met him and he is more likable than most footballers than most but I could not warm to him,  as that professional players arrogance remained there.

[/quote]

I''d have to go along with most of that.

He''s never been a legend in my eyes. I''ve always sort of thought it''s as if people think it''s their duty to only praise the guy up.

He was a decent/good but never great ''keeper and since his playing days finished he''s had a good living out of the club in various roles. It''s not as if all his work for Norwich has been selfless or anything like that.

Yes for me, though it depends on your definition of legend I suppose.He was a very good goalkeeper in some of the best teams this club has ever had and that is how I will try to remember him. People have too short memories in football imo and while his belief that he was anyone near good enough to be a football league manager was misguided. I am not sure I can fault him for trying, I blame the idiots on the board who thought employing him was anywhere near a good idea.

I think we can see from the differing views of the responses that the dictionary definition is still fairly accurate:

Legend: A story from the past that may or may not be true.

and yet, oddly, it''s his players that are getting us promoted...

[quote user="dreamteam"]

For me , Gunny will always be a legend.

As a player he was great for us.

I will always remember him squaring up to Lothar Mattheus during our European run..

As a man he has had to bear tragedy in his family, and how he coped with that is an exmple to us all.

As an ambassador and representative for the club , he put his heart and soul into all he did.

Nothing should erase those memories.

The management thing for me is a completely seperate issue.

Its understandable that he should put himself forward, but he should never have been considered , it was a desperate act by S&J and the rest of the previous board, they had run out of ideas and gambled on emotion being enough to rescue us.

The rest is history, but if any good came out of it, its that now we finally have ruthless, hard nosed,and professional people over ruling the woolly thinking of the owners.

[/quote]

Totally agree

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

HIS players????!!, I can count Holt and Askou ,after that I''m struggling!, care to enlighten?

[/quote]This arguement holds so little weight it is unfunny. We have 2 Gunn players in our best XI, Holt and Askou, he only left us 3 months ago. This is pretty awful state of affairs imo.Gunny is a legend as a player for this club, his short spell as manager of this club is nothing short of a disaster.

[/quote]

Sorry Jas but as mentionned just above , only 2 of his signings are in our 11. Askou and Holt.

YC has a good point a legend can also be a myth.