Sign in to follow this  
paul moy

Fear Brighton

On the basis of their performance at Southampton, they could inflict a home defeat on us on 24th Nov. Gus Poyet, in his first match, has obviously done a good job.

[quote user="Mr. Bump"]I don''t fear Brighton at all
[/quote]

I didn''t either until I watched this game today. They looked very much up for the fight, were great on the break, and could have won by at least another two goals.

I agree with you totally Paul.

The players look as if they have every confidence in the future and rightly so. This happens many times to a club that gets a money man in, gets plans for the go ahead of a new stadium and then at last gets a decent Manager.

They certainly look up for it. The team has been in the doldrums for a long time and we could be playing them just at the wrong time.

Mind you with Miracle Lambo, we have every confidence!

I''m sure I wasn''t alone in expecting Southamton to walk all over them today.

I will be surprised if we look as good at St Mary''s next week! And then we are following up with Brighton at home 3 days later!

KTF!!!

[quote user="paul moy"]On the basis of their performance at Southampton, they could inflict a home defeat on us on 24th Nov. Gus Poyet, in his first match, has obviously done a good job.[/quote]

Remember what happened after Gunn''s team hammered Barnsley 5-1?

Don''t judge a team on one performance ... especially a new manager''s debut.

[quote user="Broadstairs Canary"][quote user="paul moy"]On the basis of their performance at Southampton, they could inflict a home defeat on us on 24th Nov. Gus Poyet, in his first match, has obviously done a good job.[/quote]

Remember what happened after Gunn''s team hammered Barnsley 5-1?

Don''t judge a team on one performance ... especially a new manager''s debut.[/quote]4-0*

[quote user="paul moy"]On the basis of their performance at Southampton, they could inflict a home defeat on us on 24th Nov. Gus Poyet, in his first match, has obviously done a good job.[/quote]Well, they could - but Bristol Rovers came here with a reputation to uphold and we made mince of them.  If Brighton come to play us at football then we''ll win.  It''s when teams stick 10 behind the ball that we tend to find it hard work.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="paul moy"]On the basis of their performance at Southampton, they could inflict a home defeat on us on 24th Nov. Gus Poyet, in his first match, has obviously done a good job.[/quote]Well, they could - but Bristol Rovers came here with a reputation to uphold and we made mince of them.  If Brighton come to play us at football then we''ll win.  It''s when teams stick 10 behind the ball that we tend to find it hard work.[/quote]Spot on.Lambert''s biggest challenge this season is finding a formation/style of play to counter that.

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]I agree with you totally Paul. The players look as if they have every confidence in the future and rightly so. This happens many times to a club that gets a money man in, gets plans for the go ahead of a new stadium and then at last gets a decent Manager. They certainly look up for it. The team has been in the doldrums for a long time and we could be playing them just at the wrong time. Mind you with Miracle Lambo, we have every confidence![/quote]

Wow.. how many is many times for all that to happen Bury[:O] Shouldn''t think that lot falls together often let alone many times[;)]

On a day when we were supposed to be quaking in our boots after watching Southampton we are now supposed to fear Brighton. We should fear no one. The word uis respect. We should respect Brighton and Southampton and then let them fear us[;)]

I''m certainly not going to go overboard about a Gus Poyet and his scummer assistant on the basis of one game. Brighton have lost to, amongst others,  Walsall, Stockport, Southend, Tranmere and Oldham. Could it be that Southampton are not as good as many thought?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]I agree with you totally Paul. The players look as if they have every confidence in the future and rightly so. This happens many times to a club that gets a money man in, gets plans for the go ahead of a new stadium and then at last gets a decent Manager. They certainly look up for it. The team has been in the doldrums for a long time and we could be playing them just at the wrong time. Mind you with Miracle Lambo, we have every confidence![/quote]

Wow.. how many is many times for all that to happen Bury[:O] Shouldn''t think that lot falls together often let alone many times[;)]

On a day when we were supposed to be quaking in our boots after watching Southampton we are now supposed to fear Brighton. We should fear no one. The word uis respect. We should respect Brighton and Southampton and then let them fear us[;)]

I''m certainly not going to go overboard about a Gus Poyet and his scummer assistant on the basis of one game. Brighton have lost to, amongst others,  Walsall, Stockport, Southend, Tranmere and Oldham. Could it be that Southampton are not as good as many thought?

[/quote]

Either that or a bad day at the office as all clubs have from time to time, but agree with what you say

it was the managers 1st game- i can remember roeders 1st game (2-0 down to ippy at half time and drew 2-2)

gunn (beat barnsley 4-0)

its because it was the gaffers 1st game!

I didn''t watch the game today but by the sounds of it they played some good football.  If they play good football agaisnt us then I think we will walk all over them.  An open game suits us perfectly, and I hope they come here and try to beat us because this season at Carrow Road if that happens we will steam roll whoever comes our way.  The way to play agaisnt Norwich is to put 10 men behind the ball. 

Brighton have underachieved to date - many pundits had them as an outsider to be promoted

I think we should respect Brighton - and for that matter Southampton - but not fear them.  In terms of results influencing our matches I think Southampton will be stung - but Brighton are unlikely to get a second decent result away to the relegated clubs from last year

I think a draw will be a reasonable result on Saturday - though a win is possible - and I cant see us losing to Brighton.  The only fixtures that I am genuinely uneasy about are Millwall, Huddersfield and Charlton away - we are capable of beating anyone at home

I have to say that Brighton played fairly well but Jaidi(sp?) for Southampton was appalling, slow on the ball, poor distribution and tried to over complicate. If he plays like that against us, Holt will have a field day. Defensively Southampton were terrible!

Saints and Brighton would both seem likely to be tough.

Under gunn I would''ve expected maybe 1 point, but with lambo in charge 4-6 is a realistic possibilty. In my opinion 4 points would be an excellent return.

Rather than fearing Brighton as a result of this match, I fear that saints will be stung into a good performance against us.

As nutty said, respect - not fear - is the name of the game.

We''ll see.

I''m optimistic - although I can smell a turnover or two in the air when winter sets in.

My prediction? A draw at Southampton followed by a thumping win over Brighton on Tuesday night. 

Wish I could be there.[:''(]

OTBC

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]I agree with Broadstairs, NC should fear no team, we didn''t fear Leeds and we shouldn''t fear BHA[/quote]

Agreed mate, that Brighton win was in a derby game......and we know all about them don''t we?

Glass half-empty, Mr Moy?

Our next opponents lose heavily at home to a team near the bottom. Surely the first conclusion to be drawn is that Southampton (a) isn''t quite as difficult a fixture as it might have appeared, rather than that Brighton (h) suddenly looks impossible.

For what it''s worth, I would also predict a draw at St Mary''s and a comfortable win next Tuesday.

I sincerely hope that Jaidi plays next saturday, I have never rated this bloke and although he wins his fare share of heades is such a liability and I am always pleased to see his name on the opposition teamsheet, we had a fantastic away record against Birmingham mainly due to him!Were certaintly going to have to watch the saints who have some quality players (lambert, lallana, connoly, antonio with the long throw) but they seem shaky at the back, which is not unusual for pardew teams