Sign in to follow this  
stikers09

tatics right for this division

i think the tatics are right for this division, but i  fear we are going to need more width in the championship, should we get there any thoughts.

I think we need to at least have the option of width, even in this league. Successful teams need more than a Plan A, in my opinion.

Agreed.

We dot have the option of dropping Martin to right wing, (where he plaed for Luton last season) and playing a 4-5-1.

However, we dont have a natural wide player with pace. Whaley is hit and miss, not looked very confident, and Dawkins is still cutting his teeth in the first team.

Having a wide man on the bench would be a good way to go though.

You don''t always need width to be successful.

Look at Spain, they play rather narrow.

[quote user="AJ"]

[/quote]Agreed, but there''s no loss in having the option of playing wide.

[quote user="AJ"]

[/quote]On occasion however, they have changed to 4-4-2 with David Silva on the left (who does cut in) and Joaquin on the right (very much an orthodox winger) when things haven''t gone their way and it has changed the game for them.

Whaley is doing alright at Rochdale, scored a couple, set a couple up. As we all know once frozen out by Lambert the door is not completely closed. I wouldn''t be surprised to see Whaley back in contention at some point.

But which Whaley will return... the one that has lent his brain cells to Semi, or the one that was lethal with Nugent at PNE?

I hope it is the latter, was very influential when he was with PNE and he does offer pace, power and a decent cross, he hasn''t done it here yet, but I think that he would be a player for us if and when we get promoted.

[quote user="hogesar"]I think we need to at least have the option of width, even in this league. Successful teams need more than a Plan A, in my opinion.[/quote]

Entirely agree with Hogesar. We need a Plan B to deal more effectively with teams like Tranmere. They made the most of their limited skills by placing nearly everyone behind the ball and relying on a breakaway goal which they would have got if it were not for a brilliant save by our goalie.

They had done their homework by crowding out our playmaker Hoolahan, yet we still tried to find him in the midst of a packed midfield in their half.

I don''t quite know the answer. I think it was a day when we needed a pacy winger to get behind them but at the moment we don''t have such a player. I did think that we should have brought on Cody in the secondhalf instead of Lappin and simply thump the ball into a crowded penalty area on the basis the ball should eventually drop nicely for someone.

Of course I would rather we continue the style of play which has clearly been filling the ground, but until the rather fortunate penalty I had a horrible feeling that despite the huge difference in class we were going to drop two points.

At the end of the day PL will say we got all three points which is what really matters.