Sign in to follow this  
Salford

World Cup 2018

Sixteen cities from across England have put their names forward as potential venues for the World Cup. These cities are Birmingham, Bristol, Derby, Hull, Leeds, Leicester, Liverpool, London, Manchester, Milton Keynes, Newcastle, Nottingham, Plymouth, Portsmouth, Sheffield and Sunderland.

Why isn''t Norwich one of these cities? Seems to me like it''s an opportunity missed.

[quote user="Salford City YELLOW"]Sixteen cities from across England have put their names forward as potential venues for the World Cup. These cities are Birmingham, Bristol, Derby, Hull, Leeds, Leicester, Liverpool, London, Manchester, Milton Keynes, Newcastle, Nottingham, Plymouth, Portsmouth, Sheffield and Sunderland. Why isn''t Norwich one of these cities? Seems to me like it''s an opportunity missed.[/quote]

What a joke - shouldn''t even be allowed to have a football team let alone be considered as a host venue for the World Cup!!!

[:@]

[quote user="jbghost"]ically we haven''t got a big enough stadium to meet the minimum standards.[/quote]

Nor have Milton Keynes (22,000) and probably a couple of others of the "one club" cities. Milton Keynes could up the capacity to 45,000 by building an upper tier but I think that we could up our capacity to 30,000 (plans were in place if we had an extended run in the Prem). I presume that some of these smaller clubs with newer stadiums are gambling on getting accepted and then using any grants to extend/upgrade their grounds.

Don''t know why some clubs are building their stadiums bigger- they can''t even fill the ones they''ve got. You need to have a ground of 40,000 for a world cup game so I think there will be a lot of empty seats at some games.

At least we make a good effort of filling our ground.

Birmingham - 25,800

Bristol - 21,497

Hull - 25,404

Plymouth - 19,500

Surely it was worth an ask from Norwich? Touristy area of the country that in my opinion would make an ideal venue for some of the group games (given funding for stadium expansion) but then I suppose I''m biased. If we are actively seeking investment like the board say we are, surely they would be liaising with the city council on ideas such as a becoming a world cup city?

The clubs putting themselves forward have got to have an agreement in place to "prove" they will have a 40''000 capacity stadium ready if they are selected.

I would imagine none of those that don''t yet have one would be-there are plenty enough that do, for the "pretenders" to have little chance of being chosen.

Its all academic anyway, as that World Cup will be awarded to Spain who will shortly announce that they are "going it alone" with their bid and ditching Portugal.I don''t even know, to be fair, why we are wasting time and money putting a bid together, we have supporters in UEFA, but in the other FIFA federations (its not just Jack Walker, he''s the loudest opponent and the ring leader) we are not at all popular-perceived arrogance being the main problem.

Qatar will be hosts in 2022, completely impractical for quite a few reasons, but, as with the Grand Prix, money talks and ability, facilities and tradition don''t matter one iota. They even consider the weather when reviewing bids, mental I know, but thats how it is-lazy days in a mediterranean climate will push Spain way up the list for dignataries and their hangers on.

First question to ask must be - how much will it cost us. I know from sport reports here in Derby that they will need to increase the capacity to at least 40,000 (min requirement) and with all other factors taking in to account they estimte it will cost them between 15M and 25M to be a host City. Fifa''s fee for being a host City is an amazing cost. I cant remember the quote.

Salford City YELLOW said:

Birmingham - 25,800

I imagine they would use Villa Park @ 43,300.

[quote user="Old Shuck"]Its all academic anyway, as that World Cup will be awarded to Spain who will shortly announce that they are "going it alone" with their bid and ditching Portugal.[/quote]You''re very sure about, that Old Shuck! For me it''s more between England and Russia. England may not be that popular, but the "invented the game" stuff counts for something. And Spain have hosted the tournament much more recently than England.Russia, meanwhile have never hosted a major tournament, so they have the "about time we did" argument. Plus there will be some very strong political lobbying.

[quote user="Old Shuck"]The clubs putting themselves forward have got to have an agreement in place to "prove" they will have a 40''000 capacity stadium ready if they are selected. I would imagine none of those that don''t yet have one would be-there are plenty enough that do, for the "pretenders" to have little chance of being chosen. Its all academic anyway, as that World Cup will be awarded to Spain who will shortly announce that they are "going it alone" with their bid and ditching Portugal.I don''t even know, to be fair, why we are wasting time and money putting a bid together, we have supporters in UEFA, but in the other FIFA federations (its not just Jack Walker, he''s the loudest opponent and the ring leader) we are not at all popular-perceived arrogance being the main problem. Qatar will be hosts in 2022, completely impractical for quite a few reasons, but, as with the Grand Prix, money talks and ability, facilities and tradition don''t matter one iota. They even consider the weather when reviewing bids, mental I know, but thats how it is-lazy days in a mediterranean climate will push Spain way up the list for dignataries and their hangers on.[/quote]

And, of course, it doesn''t help if people keep getting his name wrong - he''s Jack Warner, not Walker! And yes, it is important if you want his backing.

OTBC

His name looked wrong when I looked at it in the post BBB, but there you go!

He doesn''t like the FA etc, and the great handbag debacle has given him more ammunition-but I think with Walker, we could broker world peace, cure all known forms of cancer and stop global warming and he''d still regard it as an insult!

I think even Sepp Blatter is frightened of him!

Also RE: Carrow Road, what would be our optimum capacity? If we were to achieve a return to the premiership whats the most fans we could attract on a regular basis? Could we top 30,000?And before anybody brings it up, obviously investment in the playing staff is by far the priority for the time being.

Investment in an opportunity like this would surely encourage investment in playing staff. Once the successful cities are named everyone with a bit of money in their pocket is going to be jumping on their band wagon. Admittedly the stadium is a stumbling block but if the likes of Plymouth, Hull and Bristol are throwing their hat into the ring then I think we should be too. If anything we would get recognition for a bit of ambition (for a change).

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"]Also RE: Carrow Road, what would be our optimum capacity? If we were to achieve a return to the premiership whats the most fans we could attract on a regular basis? Could we top 30,000?

And before anybody brings it up, obviously investment in the playing staff is by far the priority for the time being.
[/quote]

I know that there are plans in place to put another tier on top of the City stand, our dear friend Mr Doncaster suggested that we would need to be in the premiership for 3 consecutive years for those to be actioned. This would add another 6000 to the capacity taking in up to 32000.

As for how many we would get in the premiership, I genuinely believe that we could get close to 40000 providing a large enough away section was made available to satisfy the demand of the Man Utd,Liverpool,Arsenal,Tottenham,Chelsea etc etc.

When we beat Man Utd 2-0 in the premiership season ,I vividly recall the box office saying that they had enough interest in the match to have sold out 3 times over - thats 75000!!