Sign in to follow this  
Devils Advocate.

If George Burley goes....

I have asked this question on another thread but no one answered so here goes, If George Burley loses his job as Scotland boss would Paul Lambert be a viable candidate to take over?

Craig Brown got us to Euro 96 & WC 98. Walter Smith took us from the embarrassment of the Berti Vogts era and made us decent again.

If that''s your definition of failures, I''d love to see a success.

Judging by recent performances the Scotland job looks like a real "poisoned chalice".  I suspect that Lambert is smart enough not to go for it so early in his managerial career.  He''d be on a hiding to nothing.  From his point of view it would make more sense to build up his reputation by being successful with us and then eventually on to other things.  He''s still young in management terms and if he wanted the Scotland job badly enough there are bound to be plenty of other opportunities in the future.  The most important thing from our point of view is that the club shows that it will do everything it can to support him to be successful with us - and that''s where problems might occur in the medium to longer term I suspect!

[quote user="John Morlar"]I have asked this question on another thread but no one answered so here goes, If George Burley loses his job as Scotland boss would Paul Lambert be a viable candidate to take over?[/quote]

No wonder you had no replys, apart from  Lambert being young and Learning the job so to speak I think there are at least 6 or 7 that would get the job before him   

[quote user="Wings of a sparrow"]

Craig Brown "resigned in 2001 having failed to take Scotland to Euro 2000 and World Cup 2002"

Walter Smith "Despite a revival of fortunes under Smith, hopes of reaching the 2006 World Cup were dashed after an unexpected defeat against Belarus"

There is much to be said for failure. It is much more interesting than success.

[/quote]Without meaning any disrespect to Scotland, if you look at the players they have had available for the last 10 years you will see why they have failed to qualify for any major tournaments. It would take a miracle worker to get any of the other home nations to qualify for a world cup at the moment, unless a new generation of stars suddenly appears.

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"]
Without meaning any disrespect to Scotland, if you look at the players they have had available for the last 10 years you will see why they have failed to qualify for any major tournaments.

[/quote]

so what was englands Excuse at the euro''s ?

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"]Without meaning any disrespect to Scotland, if you look at the players they have had available for the last 10 years you will see why they have failed to qualify for any major tournaments. [/quote]

[/quote]STEVE MCLAREN

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"]
Without meaning any disrespect to Scotland, if you look at the players they have had available for the last 10 years you will see why they have failed to qualify for any major tournaments.

[/quote]

[/quote]

STEVE MCLAREN
[/quote]

Steve McLaren and the premature dumping of Beckham

"Steve McLaren and the premature dumping of Beckham"

No... just Schteve McClown!

Us not qualifying for the Euros was the best thing that happened to England in the entire time I can remember - said that at the time. Even then, I didn''t realise we''d be so lucky to get the best manager in the world next to Old Red Face.

I think Scotland will try and get Souness in, or even Dalglish, they look like they need a real figurehead at the top to inspire the nation back into creating good players. A clever choice in my opinion would be Roy Hodgson who made Switzerland and Finland punch well above their weight at international level.

[quote user="First Wizard"]I''d let Bryan Gunn have a go![;)][/quote]

His daughter is already typing the application form.

Will go with his ,how many caps?

He has all the credentials that a Scottish manager needs![:D]

[quote user="GinjaCanary"]Do you reckon'' our Suffolk neighbours would have him back if things don''t work out with Keane ??[/quote]tbh i thought the way they treated him was dreadful. he was doing a great job and they shat on him.

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="First Wizard"]I''d let Bryan Gunn have a go![;)][/quote]

His daughter is already typing the application form.

Will go with his ,how many caps?

He has all the credentials that a Scottish manager needs![:D]

[/quote]Let''s e-mail Doomy! [:D]

Given the number of Scottish pundits telling the world how to play football, how come the National side has such difficulty in picking a good manager ?   Surely out of Pat Nevin, Andy Gray, Alan Brazil, Alan Hansen and Kenny Daglish one of them could put his magic into practice.