Sign in to follow this  
MPR

The very left footed elephant in the room

A question to the floor:

With Wes now deployed in a position where his roaming does more damage to the opposition than it does to our formation, is anyone else concerned that he does not appear to be able to do much at all with his right foot? In the last couple of games he''s had chances on that side but had to turn in an attempt to get it on his better side. Compare that with the 2nd goal on Saturday where Lappin whipped in the cross with his wrong foot. I can''t ever see Hooly doing that. Surely this should be something they work on in training?

Maybe, maybe not.You always play to your employee''s strengths. You wouldn''t employ an accountant to do plumming, and you wouldn''t make an opera singer a rally driver.If Wes wants to use his left foot to do damage, let him.8 goals speak for themselves, and I wonder how many of those 30 goals he was heavily part of the build up to as well.

He''s hardly the first professional footballer to be one footed is he. As long as he''s doing the business and we''re winning games I really wouldn''t worry about it.

[quote user="Barclayman"]Interesting the Wes has actually scored more goals in the league than Martin has.[/quote]

wes takes pens tho, granted u still gotta put um away but hate the likes of lampard that scores shit loads of goals but half of which are penners (or deflections)

[quote user="MPR"]A question to the floor: With Wes now deployed in a position where his roaming does more damage to the opposition than it does to our formation, is anyone else concerned that he does not appear to be able to do much at all with his right foot? In the last couple of games he''s had chances on that side but had to turn in an attempt to get it on his better side. Compare that with the 2nd goal on Saturday where Lappin whipped in the cross with his wrong foot. I can''t ever see Hooly doing that. Surely this should be something they work on in training?[/quote]

Don''t know what you mean by "now", Hoolahan was deployed the way you describe when, under Gunn, we beat Yeovil 4-0 at Yeovil. Lambert didn''t know how to play him to begin with and then it clicked , but only after numerous people on here decried the fact that our most talented player was being cold shouldered only, of course, to be jeered at by the MB old timers who now seem to have gone very quiet about Hoolahan.

[quote user="Bob Franklin"]

[quote user="MPR"]A question to the floor: With Wes now deployed in a position where his roaming does more damage to the opposition than it does to our formation, is anyone else concerned that he does not appear to be able to do much at all with his right foot? In the last couple of games he''s had chances on that side but had to turn in an attempt to get it on his better side. Compare that with the 2nd goal on Saturday where Lappin whipped in the cross with his wrong foot. I can''t ever see Hooly doing that. Surely this should be something they work on in training?[/quote]

Don''t know what you mean by "now", Hoolahan was deployed the way you describe when, under Gunn, we beat Yeovil 4-0 at Yeovil. Lambert didn''t know how to play him to begin with and then it clicked , but only after numerous people on here decried the fact that our most talented player was being cold shouldered only, of course, to be jeered at by the MB old timers who now seem to have gone very quiet about Hoolahan.

[/quote]I thought it was reasonably well known on here that Hoolahan was kept out of the side as punishment for his salute to the fans after the Colchester mess.

[quote user="MPR"]A question to the floor:

With Wes now deployed in a position where his roaming does more damage to the opposition than it does to our formation, is anyone else concerned that he does not appear to be able to do much at all with his right foot? In the last couple of games he''s had chances on that side but had to turn in an attempt to get it on his better side. Compare that with the 2nd goal on Saturday where Lappin whipped in the cross with his wrong foot. I can''t ever see Hooly doing that. Surely this should be something they work on in training?[/quote]Are you the bloke he is keeping out of the first 11 ?

Unless I''m very much mistaken Bob Hoolahan was played out on the left wing by Gunny who was a strict 4-4-2 with two wide men sort of a guy. Lambert kept that formation with two reliable if unspectacular wide players in Lappin and McVeigh to start with and as confidence grew brought in the ''diamond '' which gave Wes a free role.

Unless I''ve missed something obviously [;)]

[quote user="Bob Franklin"]

[/quote]

I was at the Yeovil game, and Wes played on the left, not in the ''hole''.

As a very one-footed player myself (right), you''d be surprised at the adjustments one invents to compensate. Quite disturbs the two-footed artisans much of the time.

Keep Wes in the hole.

OTBC

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

Unless I''m very much mistaken Bob Hoolahan was played out on the left wing by Gunny who was a strict 4-4-2 with two wide men sort of a guy. Lambert kept that formation with two reliable if unspectacular wide players in Lappin and McVeigh to start with and as confidence grew brought in the ''diamond '' which gave Wes a free role.

Unless I''ve missed something obviously [;)]

[/quote] finally admitted its a diamond ey shack? [;)]

Does Beckham use his Left? i''ve never seen him... (he probably has... and Hoolahan has probably used his Right foot at one point) but really its about what your best at, Forster doesn''t play up front, because hes good in goal, ect, if Hoolahan is better with his Left, he should use his left..... and we are still wining, he has scored 8 Goals, so there is no need to complain about it really.......

Didn''t hoolahoop (must be BBQ flavour at the mo, he has been on fire!!) score a screamer with his right peg last season?

[quote user="B-ru"]Didn''t hoolahoop (must be BBQ flavour at the mo, he has been on fire!!) score a screamer with his right peg last season?[/quote]Indeed he did. Against Barnsley last Jan., I believe.

Wes played on the left at Yeovil but when Hughes came on in the second half he changed the game and enabled Wes to drift inside more, lots of other players are one footed but i struggle to think of one that is so one footed as Wes, he seems to find it hard to turn on the ball even using his right foot, but its working so who cares?

[quote user="AJ"]Maybe, maybe not.

You always play to your employee''s strengths. You wouldn''t employ an accountant to do plumming, and you wouldn''t make an opera singer a rally driver.

If Wes wants to use his left foot to do damage, let him.

8 goals speak for themselves, and I wonder how many of those 30 goals he was heavily part of the build up to as well.
[/quote]

He has six assists, second only to Lappin on seven.

It is a frustrating weakness. It has probably cost us a goal or two already, and will almost certainly cost us more. His reluctance/inability to use his right foot at times seems very amateurish in the extreme. I would expect that everyone, including himself wants to improve, every player can and should. Keeping it in perspective though, he is still one of our best players with skills others just do not possess and is a major influence on our current good form. All of our team have weaknesses, hopefully good training and management improves their performances and reduces any concerns. Wes''s strengths considerably outweigh his weaknesses.

[quote]he is a league 1 playerhe is doing well in this league because being 1 footed isnt an issue. [/quote]

But it will become an issue in the second half of the season if Lambert attempts to field Hoolahan where the the grass remains.Come on down, Albert Adomah.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]if hoolahan could use 2 feet, he would be 2 leagues higher [;)][/quote]

Yeah, and playing for a Prem side with pacey and skillful wingers as an option.  [:P]

Proof that some people arn''t happy unless they''re moaning. Wes is doing awesome this season he''s scoring and assisting and has struck fear into night on every defense in this league.

He might be one footed but he''s doing the business so let him get on with it.

[quote user="king canary"] finally admitted its a diamond ey shack? [;)][/quote]

Yeah, I''ve reluctantly come around to your way of thinking. Hoped you weren''t going to notice [;)]. I''m still not convinced that Martin was playing as an out an out striker earlier on in the season but he does appear to have been pushed up alongside Holt now.

It will be interesting to see how Lambert tries to overcome the tactic that Tranmere deployed on Saturday of having a relatively high defensive line but with the midfield stationed right in front of them. Obviously this is going to squeeze the space that Wes likes to work in and I guess it will be a tactic which most away teams will use at Carrow Road. With the personnel we have a the moment the only real option is to push the full backs right up (Drury did this well on Saturday by all accounts but I''m not sure if Otsemebor did the same.) and try and stretch the midfield out a bit.

What we could really do with is to inject some pace on the left hand side of the diamond to match Corey''s energy on the right hand side. Lappin has a lovely left foot and delivers a great set piece but I''m not sure he''s suited to the position on the side of the diamond where I think you need ball carriers with a bit of pace to get you moving. Is this Adomah chap we''re supposed to be looking at a left sided player? If he is that could solve that particular problem.