Sign in to follow this  
newcastle uni canary

Nelson or Doherty

Doherty without doubt. may get away with nelson against the cloggers and he''s not as bad as I first thought but am still deeply nervous about him up against any kind of pace

Gonna add my shout to doherty. He is definately better than nelson. Not saying nelson is bad but there is a reason doherty once played in the prem and nelson has been stuck in the lower leagues.

Not much to choose between them. Doc could play at Championship level, but I have my doubts about Nelson at that level.On the other hand, Doc worries me with his all-in wrestling, which was seen even at Paulton. Sooner or later he will give away a penalty or free-kick just outside the area, and we shall pay. So Nelson worries me less.

Doherty no question. Nothing against Nelson and by all accounts he was great at Swindon but he''s got nowhere near as much ability which is understandable.Gives away very few fouls contrary to what people may think too.

Doherty.

I think Nelson is alright at this level, especially to have as backup. But Doherty is a better defender and a much better player with the ball.

I''m yet to see a better centreback than Gary Doherty in this league.

There is simple no option here  - Doc each time.

Its far closer between Askou and Nelson though - but the clear winner is Askou even on that one.

Nelson is good cover in league one.

[quote user="First Wizard"]Nelson every single time..........and PL thinks the same imo.[/quote]

Well if that''s the case then PL will have him in the team on Saturday and for other games coming up.

My late grandfather, god bless him, was an expert on matters Doc and Nelson.

I am sure that he would have been pleased to have used both together as an outstanding matched pair.

With their tails plaited and the brasses polished, he would have been certain of winning at most country fares.

Then he was always proud of his ability with a pair between the traces.

A great teamster and lover of horses was my granddad![;)]

I can''t believe i''m reading this. After all that abuse he got when he was about to leave, he''s now the greatest defender in the league.

I will just assume that the people perpetrating this abuse are different to those now making him our number one defender!

[quote user="a1canary"]I can''t believe i''m reading this. After all that abuse he got when he was about to leave, he''s now the greatest defender in the league. I will just assume that the people perpetrating this abuse are different to those now making him our number one defender![/quote]

Not in all cases A1 my friend[:O] A quick look at the old threads will show a few up. The farewell messages proved to be a bit premature though and rather like Andy Capp and Flo the relationship is back on track for a while. However it''s not a crime to change your mind. I call it the Wizard Syndrome.

But in truth the longest history over The Doc is probably between you and I. Even you jumped the gun when Roeder brought in Taylor. Just as many jumped the gun when Lambert banished The Doc to train with the youth.

So come on A1 .... Pin your colours to the column... Nelson or Doherty... You decide[:^)]

[;)]

Doc has currently got the shirt on merit, so it''s only an issue if he screws up or gets injured. I still have reservations about Nelson have a larger turning cicrcle than the QE2, and he actually makes Doc look quick, but I admire his attitude.

It''s working well, and now that we have a fit right back (even if it is Semmy) then lets leave well alone.

Doherty.

Nelson is possibly the worst player I have ever seen play in a Norwich shirt. Whenever he gets the ball he just hoofs it out of the ground.

[quote user="First Wizard"]Nelson every single time..........and PL thinks the same imo.[/quote]

Well that makes you the only two in Norfolk and I''m very doubtful if Lambert agrees also.

Obviously you''ve never seen Nelson Play Wiz. He''s a League 1 trundler at best.

Your hatred of Doc blinds you to the obvious.

Well, I was very impressed with the pairing of Nelson & Askou on Tuesday night, they played very well together. Doc''s done well since he got back in the team, so I would not be worried about either of the pairings.

How about playing all three centre half''s and have Drury & Ots. as wingback''s ?

I think that the 4-1-2-1-2 formation Lambert''s playing at the moment is working best. Out of Nelson and Doc, I think that one will start and one will be on the bench. After about an hour, Lambert will take Ots. off, bring the sub centre-back on, and move Askou to right-back.