Sign in to follow this  
Houston Canary

Pardon my ignorance but "Chav"?

Have you heard of this clever new thing called GOOGLE?  You search for thins on it and it brings up results of webpages telling you what things mean.[quote user="Houston Canary"]

That didn''t help. [:P] I really want to know. Any serious reply would be appreciated. What does "chav" mean, infer, suggest, indicate?

While anyone is at it, what about "scouser"?  I know it refers to Liverpool, but what does it mean?

[/quote]

Once again, ref89, I obviously COULD have googled it, but the information pouring in here is way better than anything google is likely to produce.

As I stated on the previous page of comments, most of those print sources are dull and awkward, without the real sentiment. Pretty much EVERY comment here has sentiment which makes them much more interesting and useful.

So you missed my comment on the previous page and instead choose to be insulting. Based on what I have learned from reading the comments, I would ne be at all surprised if you were a chav.

Hey everyone else! Did I use it correctly!? :)

Scouser definitely not a derogatory term as others have said.Believe it comes from a type of food they used to make donkeys years ago on Merseyside that was a bit like bubble and squeak but they called it "Scouse".

[quote user="Chopper Harris"]I thought people from the Wirral were called ''Wooley Backs''. [/quote]

I think Wooly Backs are Liverpool fans who come from Cheshire rather than Liverpool [:^)]

[quote user="B-ru"]I believe teh Scottish aquivalent is called a "Ned"... don''t know why...?[/quote]

Yep they are. Like the word "chav" the orgins are debated, some claim it stands for "non-educated delinquient" (despite this making no grammatical sense) whereas others claim it comes from 1950s Teddy Boy gangs who used to dress in Edwardian clothing

[quote user="Steve Hopkins"]Scouser definitely not a derogatory term as others have said.

Believe it comes from a type of food they used to make donkeys years ago on Merseyside that was a bit like bubble and squeak but they called it "Scouse".
[/quote]

Clever these scousers, making Donkeys out of bubble and squeak. Whatever will they think of next, wheels out of bricks?