Sign in to follow this  
Houston Canary

Pardon my ignorance but "Chav"?

Actually I thought Chris martin and Pete Doherty were good examples of toffs/middle classes pretending to be working class to sell more records. Pete Doherty is always sporting burberry or a harrington yet his father was a sergent major and his mother a head teacher...hardly working class....anyway the blokes a smackhead cock and my son informs me that the libertys or libertines or whatever they are called are just a bunch of "posh kids" tring to act like "lads".

[quote user="Lord Arthur Whittle Of Lakenham MEP"]A "Chav" in scotland is called a "NED" standing for non educated delinquint.[/quote]

A ''Chav'' in Cornwall/Devon is called a ''Kev''!

[quote user="Daphne "]I understand that "Chav" is Romani for "boy".[/quote]

That''s what i have heard as well.[Y]

[quote user="Lord Arthur Whittle Of Lakenham MEP"]A "Chav" in scotland is called a "NED" standing for non educated delinquint.[/quote]

Funnily enough, when I worked with a few scousers, they used ''Ned'' as much as ''scally'',  perhaps it was a Northern thing.  Either way you cut it, Ned Chav etc etc it all boils down to the local thickos from the shallow end of the gene pool.

I do have a chuckle when me and Doris have stroll through the city and some lad with a baseball cap on sideways starts using the terms "fat" "blood" "sick" "bruv" etc in a new york hood style accent....sometimes have to remind yourself you are in norfolk but it entertains the hell out of me!!!

As a follow on from explaining a chav, can anyone actually explain what sick, fat, blood etc means? Im not up to date on this young talk, ive only recently worked out what lol means.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]Pardon my ignorance

[/quote]

No need old boy, I''m sure we''re all used to it by now...

I think it is just the trend today Arthur.It is embarassing when you have a young lad from some village in Norfolk talking like they are from rough suburb of LA.Blame tv and music for that!!

[quote user="Daphne "]I understand that "Chav" is Romani for "boy".[/quote]

Yes - Ive been told by people in the know (ie the traveller community) that it was derived from the Romany language.  Likewise the word ''Cushty'' made famous by David Jason in Only Fools & Horses comes from Chushti Bok - meaning Thankyou very much

Chav has been given a lot of different meanings.  Some people believe to look Chav is actually a good thing - others its a mortal insult

To look a chav is a good thing? Do some people honestly believe that? A couple of chavs me and doris saw today had a conversation like this"what up blood?" to the reply of " rrr bruv did u see that thing last night it was sick" then then went in and out of ganster to broad norfolk talk.

Like I said I balme that rap bloke M and M''s!

LOL - been at the Brandy Lord Arthur?  Cant imagine you knocking back redbull and vodka

Yes - I actually know people that think being chav is good - but then there are people that still believe the earth is flat, and some people that still support Ipswich

There is neither good nor bad - it is only thinking that makes it so

I like Council House And Violent as the explanation for chav (an acronym), and scouse or scouser, as a term for Liverpudlians/ Merseysiders, definitely derives from the stew dish called scouse which was first concocted by Liverpool cooks.

[quote user="Lord Arthur Whittle Of Lakenham MEP"]You dont need to tell me that Larry mate, my twin nephews are some of them!!! P.S. Love Curb Your Entususiasm, even at my age lol.[/quote]

Brilliant isn''t it.

Ps. they don''t have a brother named Matthew do they? If so I know of them!

this always made me chuckle ...

http://breakfast105.totalkiss.com/2008/09/song-of-the-week-9/

[quote user="Yellow Rose of Texas"]A little searching throws up this definition. Right or wrong... Norwegian seamen working out of Liverpool in the 1800''s brought a lamb stew called "lapskaus" that became known as "a pan of scouse". The accent spoken near the port being different to that in the rest of Lancashire / Cheshire, due to the large number of immigrants, came to have the same name "scouse, hence if you speak scouse then you are a "scouser"[/quote]

Correct Y R of T.  I know this because one of my Uncles was a Scouser and proud of it too.  Funnily enough he lived for at least 40 years in poshest Surrey yet retained one of the strongest Scouse accents I have ever heard.  Scouser, as far as I''m concerned, has become more of a geographical definition of someone''s origins rather than a derogatory form of abuse.  However, I do agree that it is quite grammatically correct to follow the words Scouse, Geordie or Cockney with the word bas*ard!

Ive got to agree with MJDP here.  Having spent 26 years in the RAF have met a lot of Liverpudlians who refer to themselves as Scousers and do not term it as being deragatory at all.  There is also a stew which comes from the original polish version and is known as Scouse.  This can be made very thick and when cold can be sliced and used in a "Scouse sandwich".  I tried some when visiting a friend in the Wirrel some years ago and found it to be very tasty.

Seriously... can you not use google...?

http://www.google.com/search?q=define%3A+chav&rls=com.microsoft:en-gb:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7ADBF_en-GB

Seriously... can you not use google...?

Who, me?

My question got a great thread going, and I learned a lot from people who are there, not some esoteric, sterile print source that misses the emotion and atmosphere.  Those sources are always laughable as they explain new lingo and make it sound so nerdy.

If the google comment was for someone else, then go get ''im, Tiger![:P]

They''re scumbags. I was assulted 12 on 1 by a gang of them 3 weeks ago for not being intimidated by them after they shouted stuff at me when going to the shop where my girlfriend lives and despite them outnumbering me the one that threw the first punch was still someone behind me.

Shame they were all about 15 and me being 19 would have probably been the one that ended up in the nick if i''d hit any of them back.

Scouser is NOT a term of abuse.  A "scouser" is someone born & bred in Liverpool.    Much like a "true" Cockney (born within the sound of Bow Bells), a true "scouser" will be born either on or just off Scotland Road in Liverpool (Scotty Road).A "chav" scouser is known universally as a "scally".Calling someone from Liverpool a "scouser" is in no way an insult - indeed, you might be considered ignorant if you spent all afternoon berating the Tranmere fans for being Scousers - any true scouser will tell you that Birkenhead is NOT Liverpool therefore anyone from the "other side of the water" can''t be considered to be a Scouser.   They''re known as Squirrels - from the Wirral....Hope this helps?