Sign in to follow this  
Northern Canary

the best back four

It doesn''t please me to say this, because they are hardly "water tight" but my back four would be

Helveg Doherty Shackell Charlton

And before the Edworthy lovers come and bust my balls, can someone please explain what he was hypnotised by when standing STILL in a central midfield position, leaving the best left-sided player in England 40 square yards of space for a clear run at Green?? And let''s face it, it''s not the first time he''s been out of position this season! His tackling and energy is brilliant, but his positioning woeful at best.

Whatever back four we choose, the fact remains that we defend from front to back like a First Division side. Positionally we are either too deep without the ball (Fulham) or too far up the pitch and having to chase back (Middlesbrough)

I know lately we haven''t had our ideal players in their preferred positions, but there has to be a better understanding of where we have to be when the opposition has the ball in certain areas of the pitch.

Our best back four in terms of defensive ability is:

Helveg
Charlton
Doherty
Fleming

If we could have got Primus to replace Fleming I''d be a lot happier.

For me It would have to be a blend of Premiership experience, height in the centre of defence, and a bit of pace as well, therfore my choice would be:

Edworthy, Doherty, Shackell, Charlton.

I am too convinced with edworthy to be honest but don''t think helveg is the answer either maybe we could play 3 centre backs and 5 in midfield or play a sweeper in helveg behind doc fleming and charlton

Can you not play Fleming in the right back position giving a back four of:Fleming Doherty Shackell CharltonI think Shackell has to be considered at some point in the season.

[quote]Can you not play Fleming in the right back position giving a back four of:Fleming Doherty Shackell CharltonI think Shackell has to be considered at some point in the season.[/quote]

I was wondering why shacknell had been played more I thought he was class when he marked earnshaw out of the game last season when we stuffed cardiff at home