Sign in to follow this  
Oxford Canary

Simon Whalley

He was recently seen on the Football League Review putting in a great cross from a corner from which Rochdale scored. I also saw him put in a great cross from the wing at yeovil from which Holt scored. I''m not saying he''s a great winger, because I haven''t seen enough of him, but I do say that Lambert ushered him out in too much haste in the same way that Lambert was too quick to cold shoulder key players such as Hoolahan and others in critical league games from which we would have gained points if they had played.

I think that it is more the case that he has been put out on loan to gain some first team action and confidence.

I don''t think he''s cold-shouldered players. I think Lambert has told players their place in the team is not guaranteed and they have to earn their place, unlike previous managers who seem to have had the philosophy of the same team week in, week out, regardless of performance.

Doherty and Hoolahan have come back rejuvenated and playing much better than they were at the start of the season. Rusty''s been vastly improved too, since Lambert''s little talk with him. The whole team, well most of it, have improved since Lambert took over.

Whatever man-management tactics Lambert is using, they are working. You only have to look at our league position and results. Ultimately he is the manager and knows Whalley''s skill and limitations better than us because he sees him in training.

How short some peoples memories are.  Whaley was shipped out because he was a waste of space.  He is quite possibly the laziest player I''ve ever seen at Carrow Rd and has absolutely zero desire to defend or help out his team in any way.  As many of his former clubs supporters said, he is arrogant and thinks he is much better than he really is. From what I''ve seen of him at Carra, I concur.

[quote user="Scooby"]How short some peoples memories are.  Whaley was shipped out because he was a waste of space.  He is quite possibly the laziest player I''ve ever seen at Carrow Rd and has absolutely zero desire to defend or help out his team in any way.  As many of his former clubs supporters said, he is arrogant and thinks he is much better than he really is. From what I''ve seen of him at Carra, I concur.[/quote]

I must admit that I only saw him play at yeovil and, quite honestly, I was pretty impressed with him. In fact, he was part of a Norwich team whose attacking football in the 2nd half was as good as I have seen for many years. How many times did he play at Carrow Road before he was shipped off to Rochdale ?

im not being funny but thats not the case considering how many players we had on loan last season. we have a much more settled squad this season than we have had for years .

[quote user="Bob Franklin"][quote user="Scooby"]How short some peoples memories are.  Whaley was shipped out because he was a waste of space.  He is quite possibly the laziest player I''ve ever seen at Carrow Rd and has absolutely zero desire to defend or help out his team in any way.  As many of his former clubs supporters said, he is arrogant and thinks he is much better than he really is. From what I''ve seen of him at Carra, I concur.[/quote] I must admit that I only saw him play at yeovil and, quite honestly, I was pretty impressed with him. In fact, he was part of a Norwich team whose attacking football in the 2nd half was as good as I have seen for many years. How many times did he play at Carrow Road before he was shipped off to Rochdale ?[/quote]

Against Sunderland he was responsible for 2 of their goals due to his refusal to get back, against Brentford he was just dire all round......

[quote user="Bob Franklin"][quote user="Scooby"]How short some peoples memories are.  Whaley was shipped out because he was a waste of space.  He is quite possibly the laziest player I''ve ever seen at Carrow Rd and has absolutely zero desire to defend or help out his team in any way.  As many of his former clubs supporters said, he is arrogant and thinks he is much better than he really is. From what I''ve seen of him at Carra, I concur.[/quote] I must admit that I only saw him play at yeovil and, quite honestly, I was pretty impressed with him. In fact, he was part of a Norwich team whose attacking football in the 2nd half was as good as I have seen for many years. How many times did he play at Carrow Road before he was shipped off to Rochdale ?[/quote]

Bob, please get over it!!!! Now I am not a Gunn hater and will always see him as a "playing" legend at this club, but, we now have a manager who is consitantly winning games (even, and most importantly, the games where we do not play so well). Please can you get over the fact Gunn is gone (whether I, you or anyone else agrees/disagrees with how it was done) and not make every post you partake in on this board a side swipe towards Lambert. It is getting tiring to be honest, you are faced with a decision, support the club as it is at present or don''t!

Mr Whalley did indeed look good going forward but did bugger all getting back often leaving our beleagured full back coping with two players. Whalley does not do covering and tackling and defending and therefore is a liability.

The reason we do not ship goals so much is this new team defending ethic. You get points by not conceding.

The player himself could of course express a desire to break into the Norwich first team............. cue the sound of deafening silence.

[quote user="Mike Grant"]

Mr Whalley did indeed look good going forward but did bugger all getting back often leaving our beleagured full back coping with two players. Whalley does not do covering and tackling and defending and therefore is a liability.

The reason we do not ship goals so much is this new team defending ethic. You get points by not conceding.

The player himself could of course express a desire to break into the Norwich first team............. cue the sound of deafening silence.

[/quote]

When Hux did that, nobody minded! (Incidentally, in saying this, I should point out that I don''t rate Whaley!).

[quote user="LinkNR9"][quote user="Mike Grant"]

[/quote]

When Hux did that, nobody minded! (Incidentally, in saying this, I should point out that I don''t rate Whaley!).

[/quote]Well said! Saw Whaley play just once and have no opinion of his true worth. But Doherty, Lappin, Nelson and Gill have all been written off by "supporters" on this board and only Gill still has anything to prove IMO - and looks as if he could yet come good. I think Whaley was just one midfielder too many at the time and cost saving may have come into the thought process. If he does come back I''d be happy to give him a fair chance - though a fit Hughes must be well above him in the pecking order,

Big difference, Huck was an impact player & made things happen plus always gave 100%. Whaley plainly is not & does not.

Hucks might struggle in the Lambert way of things but I doubt it as he''d give it is all. Whaley is no good if he is not going to work hard & he does not.

He''s not even worth discussing to be honest BUT who would you like to see drop out of the side (that has won 9 out of 10 games) to make way for the preston reject? No one springs to mind for me...

It''s true that poor Simon made a fairly poor start to his Norwich career. Good in pre-season and against Yeovil, but bad in the rest apart from Colchester where he was awful (although who wasn''t that day?)

I wouldn''t like to see him in the starting 11 at the moment (or forseeable future), but it is clear we have no money to spend and I can''t see us getting a decent offer for him come January so it might be worth keeping hold of him as something a little different to our current players. Whaley has obvious pace and like to run with the ball at his feet, maybe the only player in our team who can do that well. He is also our only wide player (unless you include McVeigh, which I don''t). Sure if we can get a good lump of money for him then sell, and if we can find someone to pay his wages and give a loan fee that might be worthwhile, otherwise bring him back and get him on in games we are chasing a goal, or just need something a little different.

Apart from Cody, our bench looks so weak in attack or flair and potentially being able to chuck Wahley on and spread the play wide might help break down teams. Until the lucky penalty on Saturday that game had 0-0 all over it and there was very little Lambert would of been able to do with the avaliable bench. 

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

It''s true that poor Simon made a fairly poor start to his Norwich career. Good in pre-season and against Yeovil, but bad in the rest apart from Colchester where he was awful (although who wasn''t that day?)

I wouldn''t like to see him in the starting 11 at the moment (or forseeable future), but it is clear we have no money to spend and I can''t see us getting a decent offer for him come January so it might be worth keeping hold of him as something a little different to our current players. Whaley has obvious pace and like to run with the ball at his feet, maybe the only player in our team who can do that well. He is also our only wide player (unless you include McVeigh, which I don''t). Sure if we can get a good lump of money for him then sell, and if we can find someone to pay his wages and give a loan fee that might be worthwhile, otherwise bring him back and get him on in games we are chasing a goal, or just need something a little different.

Apart from Cody, our bench looks so weak in attack or flair and potentially being able to chuck Wahley on and spread the play wide might help break down teams. Until the lucky penalty on Saturday that game had 0-0 all over it and there was very little Lambert would of been able to do with the avaliable bench. 

[/quote]

I agree with a lot of that but if Whaley is not going to conform to the why we play and is not willing to cover & tackle he will cost us games. Plus you can''t have one player not working whilst the others are..... he was let go by a very good Preston manager and bought by a marketing manager. Says it all....

[quote user="Mike Grant"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

I agree with a lot of that but if Whaley is not going to conform to the why we play and is not willing to cover & tackle he will cost us games. Plus you can''t have one player not working whilst the others are..... he was let go by a very good Preston manager and bought by a marketing manager. Says it all....

[/quote]The same marketing manager that brought Hoolahan out of the cold, signed Holt, Cody and Hughes and that wanted Martin and Spillane back in January. I think if you want to slag of Gunn you would be better pointing out is inability to get the best result out of sets of good players. He arguably had a better set of players at the end of last season thatn Worthington had in his last months and yet failed to do well with them, he then brought in what look like half decent players and got us a beating on the open day of the season. Thats all that needs to be said, he certainly has an eye for a player but getting them to work as a team on the pitch - well thats what a manager needs to be good at otherwise you are better off as a scout.Getting back on subject - Whalley: To me the Sunderland game summed it up. People have criticised Hoolahan for giving the ball away too easily at times and that having him further up the pitch means that he can take those risks and the team still has time to react if they dont pull off. Whalley was worse than this - he single handedly set them on the break for one of their goals.First of all I think he lacks a lot of confidence, he wasn''t in the team much at Preston and he has come to a new club and had two managers in about the first two months he was here!Now it could be that the above has caused what I saw in the Sunderland game. Essentially whilst he had the pace he didn''t seem that willing or confident to use it, he also didn''t seem to have the vision either. For one of their goals he was away down the right hand side an inexplicably cut inside and tride to pass it square through midfield which was easily read and Sunderland broke and scored. He had space infront of him to burn down the wing and create problems with his pace which is what it appeared other players were expecting him to do. There is rarely much point cutting in on the half way line and he can''t have looked up to see where players were first otherwise he wouldnt have made that choice. He certainly has the potential but does Lambert want another one he will have to squeeze to get them firing or does he want to bring in a player he already knows or knows can do better.Lastly I think that there are lots of things going on at the moment and Whalley is probably on half decent money at this level. I fully expect to see a bit of a shake up come January. As I predicted (which wasn''t hard) Maric has gone and I doubt he will be the last, although I fully expect Lambert to fight tooth and nail to keep the better players I should imagine he has already drawn up a list of players he wants now and players he will want should any go.

[quote user="Attleborough_Canary"]

Bob, please get over it!!!! Now I am not a Gunn hater and will always see him as a "playing" legend at this club, but, we now have a manager who is consitantly winning games (even, and most importantly, the games where we do not play so well). Please can you get over the fact Gunn is gone (whether I, you or anyone else agrees/disagrees with how it was done) and not make every post you partake in on this board a side swipe towards Lambert. It is getting tiring to be honest, you are faced with a decision, support the club as it is at present or don''t!

[/quote]

Thank you Attleborough and well said.Mr Franklin your anti-Lambert stance is boring and frankly a load of nonsense (being polite)!! Lambert,so far,is the best thing that has happened to this club for a long,long time and personally speaking,i can go out on a saturday night with a smile on my face for a change[Y] I don''t think you are a binner,maybe just a troll/wind up, but whatever (whoever[^o)]) you are, sort it out!!

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="Mike Grant"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The same marketing manager that brought Hoolahan out of the cold, signed Holt, Cody and Hughes and that wanted Martin and Spillane back in January. I think if you want to slag of Gunn you would be better pointing out is inability to get the best result out of sets of good players. He arguably had a better set of players at the end of last season thatn Worthington had in his last months and yet failed to do well with them, he then brought in what look like half decent players and got us a beating on the open day of the season. Thats all that needs to be said, he certainly has an eye for a player but getting them to work as a team on the pitch - well thats what a manager needs to be good at otherwise you are better off as a scout.

Getting back on subject - Whalley: To me the Sunderland game summed it up. People have criticised Hoolahan for giving the ball away too easily at times and that having him further up the pitch means that he can take those risks and the team still has time to react if they dont pull off. Whalley was worse than this - he single handedly set them on the break for one of their goals.

First of all I think he lacks a lot of confidence, he wasn''t in the team much at Preston and he has come to a new club and had two managers in about the first two months he was here!

Now it could be that the above has caused what I saw in the Sunderland game. Essentially whilst he had the pace he didn''t seem that willing or confident to use it, he also didn''t seem to have the vision either. For one of their goals he was away down the right hand side an inexplicably cut inside and tride to pass it square through midfield which was easily read and Sunderland broke and scored. He had space infront of him to burn down the wing and create problems with his pace which is what it appeared other players were expecting him to do. There is rarely much point cutting in on the half way line and he can''t have looked up to see where players were first otherwise he wouldnt have made that choice. He certainly has the potential but does Lambert want another one he will have to squeeze to get them firing or does he want to bring in a player he already knows or knows can do better.

Lastly I think that there are lots of things going on at the moment and Whalley is probably on half decent money at this level. I fully expect to see a bit of a shake up come January. As I predicted (which wasn''t hard) Maric has gone and I doubt he will be the last, although I fully expect Lambert to fight tooth and nail to keep the better players I should imagine he has already drawn up a list of players he wants now and players he will want should any go.
[/quote]

Gunn was tactically inept, bought Gill, Tudor, Our fantastic Aussie Keeper, Maric, the Palace full back who''s yet to play, Whaley etc. He is a legend as a player but he should never have taken a job he was not qualified to do. As Lambert says the biggest squad in history with the least amount of depth. Has made Lamberts job that much harder....

Bought Hughes, Holt, Askou, Nelson. Blooded Smith, reignited Martin, Spillane. So yeah, he was pretty useless!Every manager makes good and bad judgements, it''s called speculating, i''ll let you lot figure out the appropriate cliche but you have to try something!Lambert is just better at managing them, probably because he is an actual manager!There could be still life in Whaley yet, as he is very much a form player, on his day, he''ll tear apart the Championship, he''s done well at Rochdale, but then what good is judging someone on how they do in league 2........ Hmm [^o)]

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Lambert is just better at managing them, probably because he is an actual manager![/quote]It''s just a shame it took the club a relegation and then a home humiliation to realise that.

Rochdale have been picking up about 40 per cent of his wages.  When they sought to extend the loan you asked them to pick up 80 per cent which they simply cannot afford to do.  In the meantime you can now carry on picking up 100 per cent.[:O]

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

Rochdale have been picking up about 40 per cent of his wages.  When they sought to extend the loan you asked them to pick up 80 per cent which they simply cannot afford to do.  In the meantime you can now carry on picking up 100 per cent.[:O]

[/quote]

"cleverer than the rest" still exists at Carrow road then *Shakes head*

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

[/quote]There was no mention of this in the article, where do you get your info from?