Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

Points loss could be serious, let alone the monetary

So Colchester have failed to extract as much money as they wanted in compensation for losing Lambert, and have reported us to the FA. A commission has been set up which could deduct points and/or levy a fine.I think that if I were a Colchester supporter I would applaud. Our raid, causing him to break his contract, is something we have feared since he became a success at Carrow Road.A major points loss, say 10 points, could finish us for the season and perhaps hasten PL''s exit. We do not have spare cash, and even a a fine  of £100,000 could be devastating.I hope that McNally thought of all this when he set it in motion.

[quote user="Salopian"]So Colchester have failed to extract as much money as they wanted in compensation for losing Lambert, and have reported us to the FA. A commission has been set up which could deduct points and/or levy a fine.

I think that if I were a Colchester supporter I would applaud. Our raid, causing him to break his contract, is something we have feared since he became a success at Carrow Road.

A major points loss, say 10 points, could finish us for the season and perhaps hasten PL''s exit. We do not have spare cash, and even a a fine  of £100,000 could be devastating.

I hope that McNally thought of all this when he set it in motion.
[/quote]

Surely a 10 point deduction would be unprecedented in a case such as this? As one poster pointed out on another thread, has a club ever had any sort of points penalty where they have been deemed to have "poached" a manager from a rival club? I can''t think of an instance of this, anyway.

I doubt McNally was thinking this far ahead and I don''t blame him. We had more pressing concerns, namely a commercial director and former playing legend pretending to be a football manager and making a really poor fist of it. The consequences of not acting were far more pressing than worrying about what might happen six months down the line:

We won''t lose major points like you suggest: there''s no precedent. Personally I think the Football League won''t want to set a precedent for points deductions at all. They''ll order us to pay be a middle-ish figure between what we''ve offered Col Who what the latter are asking for.

What I don''t understand is why and how Colchester let him go without agreeing a compensation package which was madness on their part.

All this noise is just to cover up that whoever is in charge at Colchester has cocked up big-time. 

The time to talk tough was before Lambert joined City, little point in doing so after.

if that was the case and we are going to lose ten points... maybe delia should throw us into admistration and kill two birds with one stone . seriously 10 points is too much considering southampton got that for going to administration . i cant see it myself it would be too harsh to be honest .

Colchester are showing what a small minded pathetic bunch they are...... talk about chips on their shoulders. And how do you give permission for us to discuss a job with someone & then complain when they resign and join us?

It''s happened to us on numerous occasions but we were big enough to get on with things. I suggest Colchester concentrate on getting promoted & stop look enviously at their bigger neighbours.

[quote user="Mike Grant"]

Colchester are showing what a small minded pathetic bunch they are...... talk about chips on their shoulders. And how do you give permission for us to discuss a job with someone & then complain when they resign and join us?

It''s happened to us on numerous occasions but we were big enough to get on with things. I suggest Colchester concentrate on getting promoted & stop look enviously at their bigger neighbours.

[/quote]

whilst om not a fan of Hoofroyd what must he be thinking.. he took the job when it now seems apparent that they wanted to keep Lambert and are kicking up a stink!

im not particularly worried at the moment, there are a lot of variables that need to be considered and the decision can go anywhere between a slap on the hand to a points deduction. i cant see the deduction happeningthough and i think we are going to get away reasonable lightly.

Or possibly the League could find that we are not guilty of anything at all!

As you say we don''t know the ins and outs of it but i was told by somebody close to the Club that Lambert had a clause in his contract allowing him to leave in certain circumstances and therefore we should not be worried about Col U grandstanding. No idea if its true but it might explain why the Club do not appear unduly concerned by the Col U bleating.

surely if colchester have given permission to speak to lambert i cant see how we can lose points over it . it was not a illegal approach .

maybe a few grand slap on the wrist . but if colchester said yes ... surely thats thier problem .

[quote user="singing canary"]if that was the case and we are going to lose ten points... maybe delia should throw us into admistration and kill two birds with one stone . seriously 10 points is too much considering southampton got that for going to administration . i cant see it myself it would be too harsh to be honest .[/quote]

Which would be a 20 point deduction in effect and certain relegation

Are you having a laugh?

[quote user="Salopian"]So Colchester have failed to extract as much money as they wanted in compensation for losing Lambert, and have reported us to the FA. A commission has been set up which could deduct points and/or levy a fine.

I think that if I were a Colchester supporter I would applaud. Our raid, causing him to break his contract, is something we have feared since he became a success at Carrow Road.

A major points loss, say 10 points, could finish us for the season and perhaps hasten PL''s exit. We do not have spare cash, and even a a fine  of £100,000 could be devastating.

I hope that McNally thought of all this when he set it in motion.
[/quote]

Why on earth would we be deducted ten points for this???!!!! [*-)][8-)]

Much ado about nothing.

They let lambert come to us on the basis that there would be some compensation - neither club can agree what it should be so we will let the football league decide.

Lambert resigned,  cant see it coming to a points deduction and so we will simply end up paying more compensation than we wanted but probably less than colu want. 

Keep it in perspective - every pound,  or yes even every point, is worth it. 

[quote user="singing canary"]

surely if colchester have given permission to speak to lambert i cant see how we can lose points over it . it was not a illegal approach .

maybe a few grand slap on the wrist . but if colchester said yes ... surely thats thier problem .

[/quote]

As I understand it (and recalling the Nigel Worthington debacle in January) we would have contacted Colchester asking them to give Lambert permission to speak to us (not us permission to speak to him).  Colchester refused point blank (never a good idea, unless your manager isn''t interested in the job anyway) so Lambert resigned, as he had a right to.  No doubt other things went on behind the scenes, but did we actually breach the "tapping up" regulations?  There are ways round these things, and I don''t think Colchester have ever explictly claimed that we did.

Still euphoric from the 7-1, did it lull Colchester into believing that Lambert wouldn''t be tempted to leave a club that was showing every sign of going places to manage one that appeared to be in such disarray?  [:D] 

Colchester should accept that they misjudged the situation, give themselves a pat on the back for replacing Lambert with Boothroyd, and move on.

[quote user="Tim Allman"]

What I don''t understand is why and how Colchester let him go without agreeing a compensation package which was madness on their part.

All this noise is just to cover up that whoever is in charge at Colchester has cocked up big-time. 

The time to talk tough was before Lambert joined City, little point in doing so after.

[/quote]

Why now?  Why not back when it happened.  I reckon and yes it''s just an idea, that they didn''t think we would be doing quite so well, so now they are employing tactics to try and get points deducted so we aren''t much more of a threat to their league position.

Can I now place a Romany curse on Colchester? [:D]

I don''t know about you, but I fear the worst... Typocal isn''t it that something like this comes to the surface just when things are going well...

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="Tim Allman"]

[/quote]

Why now?  Why not back when it happened.  I reckon and yes it''s just an idea, that they didn''t think we would be doing quite so well, so now they are employing tactics to try and get points deducted so we aren''t much more of a threat to their league position.

Can I now place a Romany curse on Colchester? [:D]

[/quote]

Lambert walked out, leaving Colchester little chance to get compensation first. Talks regarding compensation have been ongoing since he left, but obviously not made any progress - tribunal is the logical step

I''m not worried as what will be, will be.  But I find it hard to believe that NCFC wouldn''t have sought legal advice before even going forward with this.

It''s in the hands of the legal boffs at the minute.

Just a case of wait and see, but I do find the timing a little strange.

As i understand it, Colchester did give us permission to speak to Lambert, just that we couldn''t offer him the job without compensation being agreed. And that is where we fell out in not being able to agree compensation. I''m sure McNally did his legal homework before Lambert took the job.

They effectively knew he would walk the minute they allowed him to speak to us.

They are one pompous club, QUOTE ""The FDC has the power to award Colchester compensation and deduct points from Norwich, a remedy which we are advised might be particularly relevant in this case." Who advised you? Sir Allen Stanford?

[quote user="Mike Grant"]

They are one pompous club, QUOTE ""The FDC has the power to award Colchester compensation and deduct points from Norwich, a remedy which we are advised might be particularly relevant in this case." Who advised you? Sir Allen Stanford?

[/quote]

LMFAO the CAB

What I don''t understand is why Colchester accepted Paul Lamberts resignation without agreeing on a compensation package first. Presumably they would have been well within their rights to put him on ''gardening leave'' which would have prevented us from naming him as our new manager and encouraged us to sort out the compensation pretty sharpish. By accepting his resignation and allowing him to become NCFC manager they appear to have shot themselves in the foot.

Rumour has it that the chairman of Colchester Utd is starring in the new Twilight New Moon flick as they couldn''t find a moody teenager to sulk quite as petulantly......