Sign in to follow this  
mnc

No more evening reserve games

[quote user="BBFF"]
It looks as if the club wants to the reserves to have games but with no supporters there which may well be the case if no one turns up. If that''s so just tell us and play the reserve games behind closed doors. There are/were hundreds of school children at the reserve game, our supports of the future now not one will be able to see a real game of FOOTBALL but who cares, they can always turn on the TV and see Man U and support them.

This is a ill-conceived, short sighted move by the new decision maker at Carrow Rd.

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST
[/quote]We are in a position though where we need to opperate in the short term. Maybe if we bounce back up the games will be reinstated to the evenings on occasion. They could even still be having the odd friendly for the reserves, such as the one against West Ham which attracted such a large crowd in the evenings.

Simple solution. All those people who feel strongly that the reserve matches should remain as they were should cover the extra costs of holding the matches at that time.

Then when it becomes apparent that not enough supporters turn up to cover costs as it is, maybe they might begin to understand the tricky position the club finds itself in regarding this decision.

[quote user="BBFF"]

It looks as if the club wants to the reserves to have games but with no supporters there which may well be the case if no one turns up. If that''s so just tell us and play the reserve games behind closed doors. There are/were hundreds of school children at the reserve game, our supports of the future now not one will be able to see a real game of FOOTBALL but who cares, they can always turn on the TV and see Man U and support them.

This is a ill-conceived, short sighted move by the new decision maker at Carrow Rd.

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

[/quote]

You have said it yourself, football must come first but for football to come first at Norwich City, there needs to actually be a team in existance. I think people are misunderstanding our financial situation (I may be also) but going by the various quotes from Lambert and our new directors it is not good. If this saves us money great, there is nothing to say this can not be reversed if our financial fortunes change.

I seems that they have wieghed up all the costs of putting on the flood lights and getting in staff for spectators against the income received from them. As opposed to no flood lights, less staff and less spectators. Surely they have done their homework, and McNally has decided that we are better off putting them in the day time.

"FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST"

Sorry - I thought you were suggesting that before football, YOU should come first, as you going to a reserve game as more important than this football club surviving...?

[quote user="Attleborough_Canary"][quote user="BBFF"]

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

[/quote]

You have said it yourself, football must come first but for football to come first at Norwich City, there needs to actually be a team in existance. I think people are misunderstanding our financial situation (I may be also) but going by the various quotes from Lambert and our new directors it is not good. If this saves us money great, there is nothing to say this can not be reversed if our financial fortunes change.

[/quote]

If the financial situation at the club is really as bad as the club says and acts with this move why doesn''t it sell the land it took out the loans for or sell its one third interest in the hotel or even ask all the supports for more money? That is of course if you believe all the decision makers tell us and if you trust them?

(I have always ended my posts with FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST because FOOTBALL is the only reason we go to Carrow Rd)

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

[quote user="B-ru"]I seems that they have wieghed up all the costs of putting on the flood lights and getting in staff for spectators against the income received from them. As opposed to no flood lights, less staff and less spectators. Surely they have done their homework, and McNally has decided that we are better off putting them in the day time.[/quote]

Its now about 2.40pm coming up to half time with a 2pm kick off. Look out of the window and think would the flood lights be on now? I think so don''t you.

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

"Its now about 2.40pm coming up to half time

with a 2pm kick off. Look out of the window and think would the flood

lights be on now? I think so don''t you."It''s more than just about one day...

[quote user="BBFF"][quote user="Attleborough_Canary"][quote user="BBFF"]

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

[/quote]

[/quote]

If the financial situation at the club is really as bad as the club says and acts with this move why doesn''t it sell the land it took out the loans for or sell its one third interest in the hotel or even ask all the supports for more money? That is of course if you believe all the decision makers tell us and if you trust them?

(I have always ended my posts with FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST because FOOTBALL is the only reason we go to Carrow Rd)

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

[/quote]

And how would that make the football club a sustainable business?? Right from the start the directors pointed out that hard decisions will be made in order to make the football club a viable ongoing concern. Selling this and that now, then what? Then we have nothing left to sell!

[quote user="BBFF"]

Its now about 2.40pm coming up to half time with a 2pm kick off. Look out of the window and think would the flood lights be on now? I think so don''t you.

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

[/quote]

Hardly. Most ''junior'' leagues in Norfolk kick off at 2pm in the Winter months due to the light getting worse. I''m sure the people who made this decision would have taken this into account.

Attleborough_Canary made this point

And how would that make the football club a sustainable business?? Right from the start the directors pointed out that hard decisions will be made in order to make the football club a viable ongoing concern. Selling this and that now, then what? Then we have nothing left to sell!

We only have to look to our government to see the folly of selling off assets at the wrong time. In particular I''m thinking gold reserves and Gordon Brown.

In a time of recession prudence is vital to survive. Besides, it''s not as if NCFC have set the ball rolling (pardon the pun) to change the kick-off times for reserve games but they are embracing the move made by other clubs.

I''ve been to Soccer PM! a few times before reserve games and think they''re great, especially for the youngsters. Maybe this is part of a higher order plan to ditch the ''nice little Norwich'' mentality. Who knows?

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="BBFF"]

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

[/quote]

Hardly. Most ''junior'' leagues in Norfolk kick off at 2pm in the Winter months due to the light getting worse. I''m sure the people who made this decision would have taken this into account.

[/quote]

I think you will find with the safety rules that cover light for professional FOOTBALL the flood lights will be on for most games in the winter.

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

[quote user="BBFF"][quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="BBFF"]

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think you will find with the safety rules that cover light for professional FOOTBALL the flood lights will be on for most games in the winter.

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

[/quote]

Do these RULES apply to reserve games as well? If so why do you think that these football MATCHES have been moved TO 2pm then? It''s not just to p*ss people LIKE you off is it?

While I am not particually happy with this move I do think your reaction is a tad OTT I certainly think there could be more far reaching cost cutting decisions ahead. Lets hope we don''t go down the road of some of the cost cutting at the end of the Chase era that led to the decimation of the youth team from which we are only starting to recover.

WITS I believe it was an in balance of too much prudence on the pitch got us into the mess we are in now. Just because other clubs don''t care about their loyal supports why should city follow suit. If stopping kids watching reserve games is ditching the nice little Norwich mentality then some should hang their heads in shame.

The club wont change it decision now what ever anyone says or how many say it.

If the club are really that hard up then ask the supporters for more money.

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

[quote user="BBFF"]

WITS I believe it was an in balance of too much prudence on the pitch got us into the mess we are in now. Just because other clubs don''t care about their loyal supports why should city follow suit. If stopping kids watching reserve games is ditching the nice little Norwich mentality then some should hang their heads in shame.

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

[/quote]

I don''t want to give a 3rd division club more money, just so you can watch reserve games thanks.

[quote user="Larry David"][quote user="BBFF"]

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

[/quote]

I don''t want to give a 3rd division club more money, just so you can watch reserve games thanks.

[/quote]

Plus I think they tried that and our survey said NO, or at least 75% of season ticket holders did. Having said that had Lambert been appointed at the time I for one might have been more amenable.

S A the rules do apply to reserve games.

As has been pointed by the club and others on here its other clubs that have started this 2pm kick off and city are just doing what other clubs want if we want to play them in the future. The club cant say they are bowing down to other clubs demands so Carrow Rd play the cost card and tell us its for saving money so we all go along with it even though its the supporters who will suffer.

Well that what I think is the greater part of it.

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

BBFF, you keep coming up with ideas like fans putting more money in, sell off the land, sell the hotel, but as I said in a previous post (which you did not answer) is how does this make Norwich City PLC a sustainable viable business? One off fund raisers are all good and well but not to stem losses that a business is making year on year! Unfortunately, as said above, more cuts will surely follow this one, it''s not done to make people angry or to offend people, it is done to save the club some much needed money!

Maybe those people moaning, should have done more to make them profitable? It costs money, it''s not the first team, it has to go. Tough times, tough decisions

Many are missing the point that the floodlights are switched on in the evenings anyway just so that people in the restaurants can see the pitch whilst they eat.

So moving the games to 2pm won''t make any difference to the cost of using floodlights. In fact, they will also have to be switched on for afternoon games in the winter months so the total costs of using floodlights would actually go up.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Tom, the West Ham game ws a friendly and had nothing to do with the reserve league. As far as I''m aware it''s the totesport league games that have been moved to afternoon kickoffs. The equivalent friendly against Arsenal last season attracted over 7,000 fans.

[/quote]

The club says the West Ham game was a reserve game and it is included in the reserve team fixture list:

http://www.canaries.co.uk/page/Reserves/0,,10355~1876908,00.html

And now the club is saying that ALL reserve games are being moved to 2pm.

The reserves are to play at home to Ipswich on Feb 10th 2010 and that would have attracted a good crowd if held in the evening - but it too has now been moved to 2pm.

[quote user="Norfolkn Good"][quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Thinking about this I suppose we are one of the last clubs to play reserve games at our own stadium too. There''s not many left, I believe most clubs play at another ground now.

I remember when reserve games kicked off at 3pm on Saturdays. That''s obviously not practical now with the big squads the first team need on match days. In those days there was only one substitute so probably 13 at the most ever travelled. The rest stayed at home and played in "the stiffs"!

In more recent years soccer pm was a great way of involving youngsters with the club. I don''t know if this has been well supported this season but I would imagine much of the impetus could have been lost when Glen Roeder decided to pull the plug on reserve team football. It was all part of our great family club tradition that most fans on here don''t seem to like anyway.

The change to 2pm kick offs will if anything make it easier for me to get to more reserve games but I can''t help but feel a little sad that the youngsters will be at school. Maybe there''s plans to arrange home games for the school holidays, with the right publicity this could still introduce new youngsters to the football club.

[/quote]

As far as I know most teams in the East Division play home games at their main ground although certainly Premiership and Championship Reserves in the Northern sections often use another ground for home matches.  Colchester Reserves have been a 2 p.m. kick off for years and if we have stewards at all it wouldn''t be more than about two or three.  One other cost consideration is that such ground staff/admin as are needed are working within their normal hours and don''t need to be paid overtime or given time off in lieu for an evening fixture, plus of course you rarely need lights.  I would think 100 at Colchester Reserves would be a "crowd" - I cannot imagine we have ever made a profit on a reserve fixture.

[/quote]

Do you think CUFC would play their reserve home games in the evenings if they could attract a couple of thousand fans?

At Norwich we now seem to want to attract far fewer people so that the costs are lower.

[/quote]

Doesn''t apply.  We struggle to get a decent crowd for a midweek League One game - Reserves would have no chance.  We played Ilford  away in the Essex Senior Cup last week (Reserves/Youth squad).  Total attendance 60 of which 20 were ours.  Played under lights.

[/quote]

CUFC dont get that many for Sat PM first team games   Big Smile [:D]

[/quote]

No argument with that.  It''s a proper "little old" club.  The players chipped in to buy a trumpet and drum for the South Stand. [;)]  You''ll be relieved to know that we can''t find a trumpet player at the moment but I can exclusively reveal that the drummer is Samba maniac bluesmonkey.

I don''t think it is the world''s worst thing, and is merely bringing us into line with other clobs....but it is a bit of a shame that these games have been moved, purely from the point of view that I and others started out by going to Reserve games when as a school lad, something that won''t figure so much any longer. I started out going in the early 80s, I was ''too young'' to go to first team games; it cost 25p + 4p for a programme.

I''m pretty sure we used to often play on a Saturday afternoon, and a 2pm k-o, presumably so that there would be savings on costs. Perhaps they could resurrect these timings again, though I guess not with the 7 sub slots to fill...

[quote user="Attleborough_Canary"]BBFF, you keep coming up with ideas like fans putting more money in, sell off the land, sell the hotel, but as I said in a previous post (which you did not answer) is how does this make Norwich City PLC a sustainable viable business? One off fund raisers are all good and well but not to stem losses that a business is making year on year! Unfortunately, as said above, more cuts will surely follow this one, it''s not done to make people angry or to offend people, it is done to save the club some much needed money![/quote]

AC The land was bought to sell at some time as was the hotel, Munby said the hotel was along term investment and would be sold at some time. If we are in such a bad state that we don''t wont school children or working people to see the reserves may it time to cash in some assets before we go under.

What''s wrong with us fans putting some money into the club that we all say we love? What about if the club set up some sort of trust say for 10 years. We buy say £50 units and in 10 years IF we want out money back we get the £50 or how ever many units you took out?

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST