Sign in to follow this  
mnc

No more evening reserve games

[quote user="Brendan"]

I feel the same dude. I used to go to them. Sorry, i didnt read the article, but what was the reason they gave? Because I dont see how any way of having them at nights is a bad thing. Its a win-win for everyone in my eyes.

[/quote]Yeah used to like 2 seasons ago. Why didnt you go yesterday huh? Too busy on your xbox. And its not win win as how much do you reckon it costs to run floodlights for a few hours? And the rest of league plays at 2 pm. How would you like if all our away games were 7.45 pm on a saturday?

Is it to save on the floodlights?

Last season we had very few reserve games at all as it was part of the "cleverer than the rest" policy of getting us to the Premier League[*-)]

New people making decisions now. Cullen is gone so has Munby. SCG and Doomcaster bit the dust and a new broom is sweeping clean. But we didn''t want a family club anyway.

"At last we can watch the football without those screaming kids Wiz"

Mello as a regular so called posh nosh diner I would certainly not be happy if I couldnt worship the hallowed turf whilst enjoying my posh nosh. With posh nosh normally between £45 and £60 a head I think there is an element of cost involved to cover the electricity for the few lights that arf actually turned on.

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"]Perhaps the Mods could merge this with the existing thread?[/quote]Maybe we could have two more threads and then it would be Quadrophenic.[img]http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/resources/2006/08/mods.jpg[/img]

[quote user="jbghost"]Mello as a regular so called posh nosh diner I would certainly not be happy if I couldnt worship the hallowed turf whilst enjoying my posh nosh. With posh nosh normally between £45 and £60 a head I think there is an element of cost involved to cover the electricity for the few lights that arf actually turned on.[/quote]

Spare a crust guv?....Gotta shekel for an ex-leper?

Are you a ruddy faced ruffian,with crippling gout, fleet of gun-dogs, (also who have crippling gout and who wear Harris tweed underwear so as not to foul your acres of land)...

And do you unfortunately have a big bulbous red hooter with blown veins and pockmarks on it?.....

Is there a perfect circle of purloined Carra turf, surrounding a rather impressive water feature in your garden that overshadows your 09 personal number plated 4x4 - just outside your more than ample abode - in rural North Norfolk?

Because if you haven''t.....you''re not me then....

I eat at Morrison''s.....so I can afford an affluent lifestyle.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Is it to save on the floodlights?

Last season we had very few reserve games at all as it was part of the "cleverer than the rest" policy of getting us to the Premier League[*-)]

New people making decisions now. Cullen is gone so has Munby. SCG and Doomcaster bit the dust and a new broom is sweeping clean. But we didn''t want a family club anyway.

"At last we can watch the football without those screaming kids Wiz"

[/quote]

Three teams in the East Division still play in the evenings as it stands: Wycombe Wanderers, Watford and Stevenage Borough.  Everyone else, if you have dropped out, now kick off at 2 p.m. or sometimes 1 p.m.  The other way to carry on with the youngsters is to do what we are trying to do at Colchester - giving away tickets to local schools and having first team players assigned to various schools (three or four schools to each player).

It is all a bit twee some will say but nothing ventured, nothing gained.  I appreciate it is easier in a smaller catchment area such as ours rather than a county wide support.

http://www.cu-fc.com/page/OutAndAbout/0,,10424~1874203,00.html

Fraid not old chap. No 4x4 in the drive of my pretty ordinary familly home. No big water feature in my pretty small fish pond either. Fortunately I have none of the bodily disfigurments you mentioned either.

Just an ordinary fan who likes to spend personal wealth on following city home and away and a decent meal every so often in one of Delia''s fine dining establishments washed down with several pints of lager.

PS I do cheap as well - just got back from tea in the local Harvester 3 meals and drinks for £30!!

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Thinking about this I suppose we are one of the last clubs to play reserve games at our own stadium too. There''s not many left, I believe most clubs play at another ground now.

I remember when reserve games kicked off at 3pm on Saturdays. That''s obviously not practical now with the big squads the first team need on match days. In those days there was only one substitute so probably 13 at the most ever travelled. The rest stayed at home and played in "the stiffs"!

In more recent years soccer pm was a great way of involving youngsters with the club. I don''t know if this has been well supported this season but I would imagine much of the impetus could have been lost when Glen Roeder decided to pull the plug on reserve team football. It was all part of our great family club tradition that most fans on here don''t seem to like anyway.

The change to 2pm kick offs will if anything make it easier for me to get to more reserve games but I can''t help but feel a little sad that the youngsters will be at school. Maybe there''s plans to arrange home games for the school holidays, with the right publicity this could still introduce new youngsters to the football club.

[/quote]

As far as I know most teams in the East Division play home games at their main ground although certainly Premiership and Championship Reserves in the Northern sections often use another ground for home matches.  Colchester Reserves have been a 2 p.m. kick off for years and if we have stewards at all it wouldn''t be more than about two or three.  One other cost consideration is that such ground staff/admin as are needed are working within their normal hours and don''t need to be paid overtime or given time off in lieu for an evening fixture, plus of course you rarely need lights.  I would think 100 at Colchester Reserves would be a "crowd" - I cannot imagine we have ever made a profit on a reserve fixture.

[/quote]

Do you think CUFC would play their reserve home games in the evenings if they could attract a couple of thousand fans?

At Norwich we now seem to want to attract far fewer people so that the costs are lower.

[quote user="tom cavendish"]

Do you think CUFC would play their reserve home games in the evenings if they could attract a couple of thousand fans?

At Norwich we now seem to want to attract far fewer people so that the costs are lower.

[/quote]

To be fair Tom our crowds have been nothing like 2000 in ther Totesport league. I think the average is barely 900. Many of these are season ticket holders and get in for free.

[quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Thinking about this I suppose we are one of the last clubs to play reserve games at our own stadium too. There''s not many left, I believe most clubs play at another ground now.

I remember when reserve games kicked off at 3pm on Saturdays. That''s obviously not practical now with the big squads the first team need on match days. In those days there was only one substitute so probably 13 at the most ever travelled. The rest stayed at home and played in "the stiffs"!

In more recent years soccer pm was a great way of involving youngsters with the club. I don''t know if this has been well supported this season but I would imagine much of the impetus could have been lost when Glen Roeder decided to pull the plug on reserve team football. It was all part of our great family club tradition that most fans on here don''t seem to like anyway.

The change to 2pm kick offs will if anything make it easier for me to get to more reserve games but I can''t help but feel a little sad that the youngsters will be at school. Maybe there''s plans to arrange home games for the school holidays, with the right publicity this could still introduce new youngsters to the football club.

[/quote]

As far as I know most teams in the East Division play home games at their main ground although certainly Premiership and Championship Reserves in the Northern sections often use another ground for home matches.  Colchester Reserves have been a 2 p.m. kick off for years and if we have stewards at all it wouldn''t be more than about two or three.  One other cost consideration is that such ground staff/admin as are needed are working within their normal hours and don''t need to be paid overtime or given time off in lieu for an evening fixture, plus of course you rarely need lights.  I would think 100 at Colchester Reserves would be a "crowd" - I cannot imagine we have ever made a profit on a reserve fixture.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Doesn''t apply.  We struggle to get a decent crowd for a midweek League One game - Reserves would have no chance.  We played Ilford  away in the Essex Senior Cup last week (Reserves/Youth squad).  Total attendance 60 of which 20 were ours.  Played under lights.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="tom cavendish"]

[/quote]

To be fair Tom our crowds have been nothing like 2000 in ther Totesport league. I think the average is barely 900. Many of these are season ticket holders and get in for free.

[/quote]

The average so far is 1,153

That can''t be right, I''ve been to the three home league reserve matches and the crowds were, according to the official site, 921 against Southend, 1,056 against Watford and 746 against Stevenage.

[quote user="Flashman"]Just seen the news that reserve games will no longer be payed in the evenings. Thanks NCFC for taking this pleasure away from me and many others. I don''t recall any mention of this when renewing my season ticket and giving up my rebate to the club. Where was the consultation? You may notice on the Club''s website it says that "City are pleased to confirm a new policy covering consultation with supporters". It is quite obvious that the new policy is NO CONSULTATION. People like me have to be at work at 2.00pm in the afternoon and kids should be in school. If money is so tight, why not charge season ticket holders £3 or £4 to get in? I''d pay it. I also note on the website that the main Supporters Consultative Group (SCG) is being axed. Not before time too! I hope the replacement target-focussed supporter working groups will be more representative of and accountable to supporters. Please, please, please let''s see a set of totally fresh faces on these groups rather than the same old names and faces that were on the SCG. We need fresh ideas. We should thank those who served on the SCG but you have had your moment and now its time to say goodbye. However, it is clear that the club are paying lip service when it comes to supporter consultation. I''m sure they will want to continue with a set of ''in their pocket'' ''yes people'' as they had on the SCG. Remember their part in the Peter Cullum affair![/quote]

I totally agree Flashman. You missed the vat cut that they didn''t give us season ticket holders when all the casual ticket prices were reduced.

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

[quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="tom cavendish"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That seems high, would have thought more like 850 - 900

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="tom cavendish"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That seems high, would have thought more like 850 - 900

[/quote]

Southend 921
Watford 1,056
Stevenage 746
West Ham 1,890
-----------------
Total = 4,613
Average = 1,153

Ok, I haven’t been to a reserve game for years so am going to make some assumptions.

Attendance of circa 1000, with a paying percentage of this only being at most 50%. Tickets are £2 or £3 so at best, gate receipts would be £1500. Again assume at best 1000 fans spend a £1 on refreshments and you get another £1000.

Staff – taking an estimate of 10 stewards, 5 catering staff, ‘soccer pm’ staff x 3 (there may be more staff I haven’t covered..  even at minimum wage they would be close to £500.

Add then overheads such as power, insurance, advertising and the club is losing money every game.

The club is doing anything it can to stay above board. Unfortunately, its things like this that will make way.

So you would rather the club spent money on subsidising reserve team football rather than subsidising first team football?

"FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST"

I''d suggest that not losing money is a good way to ensure we actual see some football in the future..... If it costs money and this saves money then it''s a good thing.

Tom, the West Ham game ws a friendly and had nothing to do with the reserve league. As far as I''m aware it''s the totesport league games that have been moved to afternoon kickoffs. The equivalent friendly against Arsenal last season attracted over 7,000 fans.

A rant from someone who got his season ticket for the 20th season thinking he could see the reserves as well as the first time. How much has my season ticket been devalued with this move? and that''s with out any reduction for the lower V.A.T rate.

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Doesn''t apply.  We struggle to get a decent crowd for a midweek League One game - Reserves would have no chance.  We played Ilford  away in the Essex Senior Cup last week (Reserves/Youth squad).  Total attendance 60 of which 20 were ours.  Played under lights.

[/quote]

CUFC dont get that many for Sat PM first team games   Big Smile [:D]

You have an entirely valid point but still would you not the money was spent on the first team?

"A rant from someone who got his season ticket for the 20th season thinking he could see the reserves as well as the first time. How much has my season ticket been devalued with this move? and that''s with out any reduction for the lower V.A.T rate.

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST"

So you''d rather get to see your reserve games even if it threatens ANY investment in the first team? Oh well.....

Maybe get a job with flexi-time? Just an idea.

It looks as if the club wants to the reserves to have games but with no supporters there which may well be the case if no one turns up. If that''s so just tell us and play the reserve games behind closed doors. There are/were hundreds of school children at the reserve game, our supports of the future now not one will be able to see a real game of FOOTBALL but who cares, they can always turn on the TV and see Man U and support them.

This is a ill-conceived, short sighted move by the new decision maker at Carrow Rd.

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST