Sign in to follow this  
KeelansGlove

What Is Worthy Trying to Say ?

Ok so I have read the doom and gloom article on the site basically saying we cant afford to buy Dean Ashtons left boot and I guess its no more than I have come to expect from "Spin City" but what does it really mean ?

Ok we have huge problems with injuries right now but many areas of the team are coping ok and when certain players come back we should struggle through in terms of most positions. I was not unhappy with most of the squad in the summer and If the basis of the team remains as follows I will not be unhappy.

Green (or Ward if we get 5M) Edworthy , Doherty , Fleming, Charlton, Bentley, Francis, Safri, Huckerby, Jonson.

But we must find a Striker who can hit a cows a%s£ with a banjo !

Svennson and McKenzie for all the huff and puff are never going to cut it in this league and to expect Jarvis or Crowe to come up with the goods will be like praying for a miracle.

In my opinion we didnt sign the Striker we all expected in the summer and have been short changed ever since, Face it you lot Strikers cost money and if you are not prepared to stump up the cash get ready for relegation and to take the blame.

I am seriously fed up with both Doomcaster and Worthy, its no wonder we are all depressed when we cannot compete anyone in terms of transfers. Is this a cash plea to the board ? or is Worthy just trying to position himself for the "relegation wasn''t my fault plea"

Cant people just say what they mean ?

"One is the overriding importance of the January transfer window.

"Given the state of Norwich''s casulaty list right now, the whole quality of player debate has almost become irrelevant.

"It''s quantity, not quality that counts now – City simply don''t have enough bodies to do the job.

"Doing nothing when you''re telling kids from the Academy to board the bus to Portsmouth this week is not an option."

To Quote Rick Waghorn (Can you be our manager please the other one is broken !)

I dunno what to think

We were after a striker in the summer and has the money before the share thing, then we sell Malky, the share thing happens and apparantly that''s only money we have to spend. It''s either tremendous spin or the truth.

If it''s the truth then frankly they might as well have come out and said that''s your lot at the beginning of the season and then everyone would have excepted we''re going straight back down. Apparantly we''re being qouted silly prices but let''s be honest anything within £1 million plus has always been silly for us.

I''ll wait and see what the next few weeks bring, if nothing at all then City obviously don''t have the ambition where it matters - on the pitch.

What short memories some people have!

Lets do the math!

Going up to the premiership is apparently worth £20 million. But only the stupid will forget that a large chunk of this money is due to sky and very little of it is paid up front. In other words we have £20 million spread out over about eight or nine months.

Right now lets think about things. We know that the club were already in debt. If we take the last figure released it was about £18 million. Lets just imagine that that has been paid off with some of the premiership money.

Down to £2 million.

Now we have a loan to help cover things and as has been said some of this expendature has more to do with this years proffits that last years losses so it should even itself out. That means that hopefully the club will be on an even keel next season whether we be in the premiership or the championship.

Its not a matter of taking risks or not but if we return to the championship in the same state that we left it we will have wasted a golden oppertunity for REAL proggression.

We will be in a strong position to contend for promotion again and at least be able to contend with the big clubs in that league. Should we go down having gambled money and players away on trying to stay up a la Mr Chase, we could be staring down the barrel of another ten year wait.

To be honest the future of this club is in the fans'' hands. The stadium has been expanded because the extra revenue will help the club stay in proffit or lets say closer to proffit. That means what ever the whether we have to turn up and aid the team both vocally and financially.

It was clear from promotion to now that the main aim was to try and survive with the knowledge that it would be difficult. In truth although I can see Norwich staying up I have already prepared for the worse. Its nothing to be ashamed about as long as the players, management, board and fans have done everything that is reasonably possible to stay up. Note REASONABLY.

I think Worthington is shrewd. He has released a statement that has two edges. "You cant get anything cheap in the transfer window". Without saying to much I think this is possibly a reference to Green as well as any players we may want to buy. Its a way of saying no way unless your going to stump up big money without announcing it publicly and getting the fans on his back.

The alternative ofcourse is that Green goes no-where. Thats something I have been thinking about. I think he will try and get in a goalscorer for £1.2-2 million and if that doesnt work sell Green in the summer. There is no advantage to us selling him now, nor is there any advantage for him.

The summer is a much better selling ground than January as people have a better idea of the situations, market and money they have to splash along with more time to get the player settled in.

There are a couple of holes in your argument Chicken. Firstly the debt is structured to be long term, meaning we can''t pay it off straight away otherwise we will face severe financial penalties. This means that a lot of the money we have got from sky we still have. Secondly we don''t just get sky money from promotion we get an increase in gate revenues plus merchandise etc. The true figure of promotion is nearer £30 million if not more. Now I am not suggesting we go and blow this money, obviously we have keep a large chunk of it to cover us for the future either though we will recieve parachute payments for the next 2 seasons, but the figures being quoted for survival if true and not a smoke screen by worthington are pretty pathetic quite frankly. If 1.2 million is all we can muster than we might as well sign our own death warrants now. Worthington is completely correct in stating we don''t want to be paying a player like kanu £40000 a week for a couple of goals, however I believe we can still get a decent striker in for 1.5 - 2 million. Maybe a couple of loan signings as well to strengthen the defense and midfield. We are no where near as poor as the board would like to make out and if we can''t spend around 3 million or so for a decent striker and 2 loan signings then I have serious doubts about the boards ambition to keep us up.

I have to say I wish I shared your rosy view of things.

Firstly how do you measure progression ? I don''t think our squad is any better than it was last season so so much for only buying players that will improve the squad (lets not forget Bentley will be gone come next season) We have a Lovely new stand and corner infill not to mention 750k worth or grass.

I really do think we will struggle to get anywhere near filling it next year in the fizzy league still without a goalscorer to give us any chance of promotion again. (Maybe there are some similarities with the chase era after all)

Please can everybody stop with the idea that the tv money is like some sort of pocket money that can only be spent when sky have given it to us, there will be certain figures that have been promised at certain times and this would certainly be able to be borrowed against its not rocket science.

What baffles me is the notion that we cannot afford to buy new players, the truth of the matter is we simply cannot afford not to. Look again at the fizzy league Leeds, Leicester & Wolves 14,15 & 17. The difference between 30 million and 3 million in revenue ?

Keep green till the Summer when it is a better "selling ground" ? what does that mean ? if we are relegated we will get less for Green full stop. He will want Premier League football and who can blame him. Lets be honest I dont think many people imagine he will be here in February and I for one think if we can get the price it is the right descision.

I dont think Worthington is shrewd, I think his transfer dealing to date has been poor and If we only had 2.5 Mil to spend I certainly would not have bought Jonson or Doherty. We needed a Striker in the summer and still need one now!

The club made it clear that the premiership money was not going to be used to clear the debt.

We have spent less than half of the money of our nearest rivals and have not even signed a second division Striker (I suppose we would struggle to compete in the transfer market with Macclesfield anyway)

I can honestly say In 30 years following Norwich City I have never seen such a pathetic attempt to compete in whichever league we happen to be in.

I really should take Wizards oath of silence because it makes me so angry Im bound to say something I will regret.

[quote]What short memories some people have! Lets do the math! Going up to the premiership is apparently worth £20 million. But only the stupid will forget that a large chunk of this money is due to sky an...[/quote]

That sort of ''this is are only pay day for a while'' attitude will condem us to relegation as it is soooo negative.

If we stay up this year we will have another £20mil next year so how best to stay up! Thats how we should be thinking.

I don''t get this ''ambition'' thing. We have a million or two to spend.

We buy a decent striker, I dunno, say Beattie. £6.5m. So we have to go £5m more into debt to buy him (is that what some call ambition) and he alone will keep us up. I mean, look at his current club and where they are in the league with his goals. Oh, right.

Maybe we should show more ambition then... try and get Drogba or someone like him. You know, real ambition, a real attempt by the board to stay in this league. £25m should do it.

My point is that people rant and rave on here but:

a) they always ask for ''more ambition'' without saying how that can be done. Surely more ambition means more debt, right? The directors have put in as much as they''re willing or able to, so there''s not much other way, other than selling a player to raise more funds.

b) they almost never quote names of players. And if they do, they don''t know how much that player would cost. Who really knows how much Crewe want for Ashton, or who else is bidding? So please: names of players who we can afford, and who might be interested in moving to Norfolk and to a club in the bottom three. Be realistic... then expect Worthy to try and get them. He''s a good manager, but he''s not a miracle-worker!

Sorry to get a bit technical but in discussions with friends about the accounts it became apparent that the club had accrued big tax credits from its previous big losses. Put simply,this means that no tax will have to be paid on a large part of any future profit.

It seems to me that the club is obssessed with making a large tax-free profit in this financial year (a figure of 6.5mill has been mentioned several times),as opposed to making a real fist of staying in the Prem.

This approach is certainly `prudent`and should mean we have decent money to spend in the fizzy next season,but in its own way it is VERY dangerous as we all know money cant guarantee promotion, but it can lead to expectations being unrealistically high (look at Wolves for the last 10 years).

I am not particularly happy at this over-cautious approach but it is certainly a very clever way of quietly building a big war-chest, and the idea of it not working does not bear thinking about. I suppose the real test will be whether or not the board release the purse-strings next season. Lets hope they can pull it off.....

Reading between the lines I think this:

That Worthy had hoped to sell Green in order to fund transfers- hence the 6 targets.

But....

...no one has come in and thus we have diddly squat!

Hence the change in tack! The board are being tight. no surprise then that no one is available who both offers the ability to keep us up and is not too pricey

I may be proved wrong but I doubt it.....

With have heard a lot in recent times about "prudence with ambition" but I think prudence is becoming the dominant partner. I was worried before the season began when Delia and Huckerby both said it didn''t matter if we were relegated as long as the club went forward. What does going forward mean? To me, it should mean doing our very best to stay in the Premiership, getting another £18-19 and gradually building up the playing staff in quality and quantity. This to me is very much more attractive than parachute payments and a hope, no more than that, of becoming a ''yo-yo'' club. I think, in general terms, the club is in very good hands, but we do become infected with this, "We''re only a little club''
syndrome, something from which our southern neighbours never seem to suffer. For heavens sake, let''s just say, "We''re not dead yet" and put up a fight. There is a dreadful acceptance about Worthy, and the whole management, at the present time. It is no good saying we need a little more quality and then doing nothing about it. Sell Green if we have to. Football is like politics, the art of the possible.

[quote]Reading between the lines I think this: That Worthy had hoped to sell Green in order to fund transfers- hence the 6 targets. But.... ...no one has come in and thus we have diddly squat! Hence th...[/quote]

I think people have come in for Green.  I believe a deal is already done, either with Man Utd, or with Arsenal with bentley coming the other way.

I have also heard that Paul Mcveigh is on his way to Mr O''Neill with Hartson coming the other way.

Monster, Monster you mark my words...?

Do you think it could be worth putting this £1.2m towards Bentley (Arsenal having buy-back option) to open up another loan space?  No idea if it''s allowed, though.