Sign in to follow this  
The Doc

Give DELIA a rest

I may well be put in my place after this post but GIVE DELIA A REST for god shake we are doing well but still moaning.

January will be interesting. Selling any of our better players and I fear she won''t have heard anything yet.

I am unable to be consistent about my own personal Delia stance. At the moment I am fairly neutral about things, as I see things going right at last at Carrow Road and things going wrong elsewhere..

Sometimes, I am very anti-Delia and very angry about the way this club has been allowed to slip in status.  I puzzle at just how the debts have piled up even with the consistently good support. If we are in debt, then all the other clubs in Leagues 1 & 2 and the Championship should be as well. If they are, then football is no longer a viable business. 

Basically, I am not to hard on the current regime for the mistakes that have been made. These seem mainly concerned with poor managerial decisions. It seems that good managerial decisions are hard come by. I was in favour of all three appointments, once it was explained why they had been made:  A new manager like Grant will always be a risky choice, but his enthusiasm swayed the Board. Roeder''s know-how woed the Board to the extent that they missed his personality defects. Gunn was Mr. Club who should have got the instant respect of players seemingly underperforming. I believe soccer luminaries like Dave Stringer were party to these decisions, so the Board must have done their homework. All three decisions proved disastrous for the Club and cost a fortune.

I personally pin-point the unfortunate run of managers, since Worthington, as the major reason for our rapid fall.  The Board supported them to the best of their financial ability and all three had funds which were glaringly wasted on a lot of  sub-standard signings (mainly Grant) and expensive loan players (mainly Roeder.) Then these managers, and their various entourage(s) had to be paid off. In a sense the Board has been unlucky, although for the third appointment they could well be accused of carelessness, rather than be classed as unfortunate. For sure, they never had the good fortune enjoyed by Robert Chase.

The managerial merry-go-round  at Carrow Road reflects that of the game as a whole. It is not easy fitting the right manager into the right slot. Ask Marcus Evans.

For these reasons, and others, the club has leaked money. Hence our present position.

I am hard on  Smith and Jones for their perceived small-time approach and to suspicions that Delia may have blocked outside investment because she is unable to face the prosect of not being "Queen of the City."  I deplore the "Little Norwich" mentality and get angry when this is fully realised, as we slip even further down the pecking order.  

However, it cannot have escaped the thinking classes amongst us, that Delia''s fears fears that an anonymous benefactor, unconnected with the NCFC or the area, would be bad for  the Club seem to have been fully and painfully realised at Ipswich. . Their very existence is now totally dependent upon one man who, sits in the stands in disguise, has no prior-to affiliation with the club, never indicates that he is passionate about it succeeding and who could scupper it at any time for nothing more than  business reasons. They seem to have sold their soul to a devil, and exist on the thinnest layer of ice, whilst their fans, intoxicated by anonymous money, still talk of play-offs and eventual promotion to the Promised Land.

With things going a lot better than expected at the moment it is harder for me to be critical. The ''new'' Board may not be as wasteful as the old, seem to be luckier with their manager and resonate better with the supporters.  The limitations of Delia''s "ownership" remain however and the club can only go so far with her. Her comments about the role of  money in the game nowadays are spot-on and  she blocks our progress because she does not have enough .  She can be blamed for hanging on when she could sell up to a richer benefactor, if true. She can be blamed for failing to attract other investment, if true.  She cannot be blamed for wanting some return on her money or for being cautious with the nature of any future sale, in the interests of the Club.   

Delia in? Don''t know. Delia out? Don''t know. better a Delia Smith than a Marcus Evans. Better a Jack Walker than a Delia Smith.

very well said... give her a rest...!!!! and you delia lovers dont think she should take any stick since our club is in its worst positon for 50 years . the complete blunders of appointing managers who have never managed . grant for example .then to follow that a manager whos cv has failure written all over it (roeder) . then give the managers job to gunn and sack him after the first game..!!!

lambert is the only thing norwich have done right for ages .. and that was not delias decision.

she need to go and take her cakes elsewhere.

i grew up with my football team being in a respectable division . untill the cook got hold of it and took it down with her .

let me ask you something do you really think she could bring glory days back to carrow road ..?? going by past choices generally made..

[quote user="singing canary"]very well said... give her a rest...!!!! and you delia lovers dont think she should take any stick since our club is in its worst positon for 50 years . the complete blunders of appointing managers who have never managed . grant for example .then to follow that a manager whos cv has failure written all over it (roeder) . then give the managers job to gunn and sack him after the first game..!!! lambert is the only thing norwich have done right for ages .. and that was not delias decision. she need to go and take her cakes elsewhere. i grew up with my football team being in a respectable division . untill the cook got hold of it and took it down with her . let me ask you something do you really think she could bring glory days back to carrow road ..?? going by past choices generally made..[/quote]

I think it is often forgotten that Roeder was not Delia''s decision either. That was very much down to Munby and Stringer (I think). For evidence of this you just have to watch the "How to Cheat" TV series, in one episode (the first I think), it shows Delia at Colney when Roeder was already manager and she they say to each other "Nice to finally meet you..." Ever since this I have had to rethink just exactly how much Delia''s hand is involved in the running of the club. To blame her for Roeder and to not give her credit for Lambert is hypocritical, she probably had little to do with either.

[quote user="singing canary"]very well said... give her a rest...!!!! and you delia lovers dont think she should take any stick since our club is in its worst positon for 50 years . the complete blunders of appointing managers who have never managed . grant for example .then to follow that a manager whos cv has failure written all over it (roeder) . then give the managers job to gunn and sack him after the first game..!!! lambert is the only thing norwich have done right for ages .. and that was not delias decision. she need to go and take her cakes elsewhere. i grew up with my football team being in a respectable division . untill the cook got hold of it and took it down with her . let me ask you something do you really think she could bring glory days back to carrow road ..?? going by past choices generally made..[/quote]

When ''The Cook'' (what is this Kill Bill?) got hold of NCFC we were struggling in Division 1 (Championship) we then went to the Premiership then obviously we suffered two relegations and lots of bad decisions!

Whilst I agree Delia''s time is up, there is so much wrong with the highlighted quote from above I don''t know where to start.

[quote user="Aussie_Canary"]I may well be put in my place after this post but GIVE DELIA A REST for god shake we are doing well but still moaning.[/quote]

Reassuring to see that the pansies are still blossoming in Delia''s magical garden.....

God help us.......

Absolutely flippen agree SC, I''d like to give Delia many things, but a rest isn''t one of them![;)]

[quote user="First Wizard"]

Absolutely flippen agree SC, I''d like to give Delia many things, but a rest isn''t one of them![;)]

[/quote]

We all know what you''d like to give Delia. It''s pretty transparent Wiz [:$]

[quote user="Aussie_Canary"]I may well be put in my place after this post but GIVE DELIA A REST for god shake we are doing well but still moaning.[/quote]

Good idea.

I''m sure Bowker & McNally can rustle up the necessary to sponsor Delia and hubby for a year or so to Australia. Perhaps they could start off with a few weeks on the Great Barrier Reef?

OTBC 

So the majority shareholders appointed Grant, Roeder and Gunn but not Lambert? I suppose the tooth fairy appointed Worthington and Father Xmas sacked them all too. Criticise poor judgments by all means but at least credit the good ones. Even if McNally appointed Lambert, who appointed McNally?

As for the glory days.....

"So heres to you Nigel Worthington, bring the good days back to Carrow Road...oh-oh-oh-oh...So heres to you Nigel Worthington, Delia loves you more than Mike Wynn-Jones..."

How fickle people are.

Finally, Gunn sacked after one game?

Kermit the Frog 

[quote user="Cluck the Purist...."]

Reassuring to see that the pansies are still blossoming in Delia''s magical garden.....

God help us.......

[/quote]

reassuring to know your still alive cluck ... been plenty of football matters to talk about lately but it takes the D to  rouse you into posting..i sometimes wonder if your a norwich fan or a dedicated fan of one of  Delias rival tv chefs  out to discredit her over a stolen recipe or something [:D]

[quote user="pennywise "][quote user="Cluck the Purist...."]

God help us.......

[/quote]

reassuring to know your still alive cluck ... been plenty of football matters to talk about lately but it takes the D to  rouse you into posting..i sometimes wonder if your a norwich fan or a dedicated fan of one of  Delias rival tv chefs  out to discredit her over a stolen recipe or something [:D]

[/quote]

obviously thats the D word [:$]

[quote user="Cluck the Purist...."]

God help us.......

[/quote]

Welcome back Clucky Ive missed you [:)]

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="Cluck the Purist...."]

God help us.......

[/quote]

[/quote]

Another name on the petition?

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"][quote user="cityangel"][quote user="Cluck the Purist...."]

God help us.......

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Perhaps we should try and get her a room in the local care home, she will get plenty of rest in there, When will people learn it was Geoffrey Whatling who saved our club not her she just bought a few shares, and has now turned it in to a MONOPOLY game, and it''s her toy   

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"][quote user="cityangel"][quote user="Cluck the Purist...."]

God help us.......

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

What petition is that?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

What did Geoffrey Watling save our club from and how did he do it Pete?

[/quote]

Talking to you Nutty on this subject is a waste of time because you only wear tinted glasses, read the history of the club you might learn something

[quote user="pete_norw"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

What did Geoffrey Watling save our club from and how did he do it Pete?

[/quote]

Talking to you Nutty on this subject is a waste of time because you only wear tinted glasses, read the history of the club you might learn something

[/quote]

Well that''s me told[^o)]

Pete, I have never believed or even suggested that Delia saved the club. I used to think Geoffrey Watling did but if you read the history of the club it''s very difficult to work out what or who he saved us from. If you are referring to Robert Chase then I think you''ll find Big Bob found Geoffrey in his quest to sell so ultimately saved us from himself.

How does Geoffrey Watling saving the club fit in with him selling the lot to Delia?

The main problem with Football fans is that we need someone to blame when things go badly – or praise when things go well.

‘Carrow Roeder’ became ‘Roeder Out’.  Chase took the Plaudits for the European campaign and became a hate figure as we slipped out of the Premiership.  Mike Walker was God in his first spell – clueless in his second.  And Gunny has slipped from Legend to Villain in the space of nine months.

Fact is that the management of this club – in fact you can look at all clubs – make mistakes.  The severity of those mistakes can be minor – anyone remember the Inter Milan UEFA Cup game where Season Ticket holders were allowed to bring 4 guests – leaving casual fans (the vast majority in the 80s and early 90s) without a sniff of a ticket.  Or they can be major – a succession of managers have taken us from 3rd in the Prem to 5th in Division 3.

The board have been accused of a lack of ambition – yet the last 10 years have seen our transfer market spending increase massively.  Its not so long ago that our record transfer spend was less than a Million.  OK the market has increased massively in that time but we’ve spent more than we’ve gained from fees in

Who is to blame.  The board, certainly.  However the board is made up of several members.  From the way that some posters talk we have been on a consistent downward trend ever since Delia took over but its in fact been more one step forward two back.  A lot of the reason for our demise is that we got relegated from the Prem the year before big money came in.  Delia wasn’t on the board then, it was Robert Chase at the helm.

However the board don’t play football.  We’ve had a series of managers, some good, some bad, and they’ve bought players which have been either good or bad.  Roeder bought in 17 Loan players but also bought in Hoolahan.  Gunn bought Flappalottitosser – but also bought in Grant Holt and Cody Macdonald.  So should the manager take the blame?.  Again we don’t have a player manager so he doesn’t kick a ball but some preparation has been poor

Players – the ones who actually got us relegated.  Yes we’ve got some crap but to be fair a player can be good for one club and crap at another.  Cureton has been prolific just about everywhere except Norwich (he does create for others, but his main job is to score goals).  Fleck was brilliant at Norwich, crap at Chelsea.  Andy Hughes was vilified here but is doing very well at Leeds. 

At the end of the day you can’t point the finger at any one person or any group.  It’s a combination of all of these people that have put us where we are.  Other clubs have the same thing – Ipswich were doing moderately OK but made the mistake of getting Keane.  Man U were relegated in the 70s.  Ridsdale took Leeds to the last 4 in the Champions League before they plummeted towards Division 3.

As for Norwich – Sir Arthur South’s time had us bouncing between Divisions 1 and 2.  Previous club management had us finishing bottom of Division 3 South – a similar result now would see us playing Conference football.  Chase took us to Europe and down to Division 2.  Delia took us to the Playoffs and to the Prem before taking us into Division 3.

I don’t think we can point the finger at any one person.  Not Delia, not Chase, not Roeder or Grant or Gunn.  Not the players individually (with one or 2 exceptions).  Instead it should be EVERYONE connected with the club both on playing and management sides that should take the blame.  And it should be management and players that put it right – at least they are starting to and long may that continue.

PS - welcome back Clucky.....glad to see the meds are working and youve been released back into the community [:)]

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="Cluck the Purist...."]

God help us.......

[/quote]

[/quote]

[:)]   Gee thanks you guys........

However.... I''m having serious trouble summoning up enough inner angst to become anti-social and generally unpleasant to everyone on here just yet.....but I''m sure it will come back when Delia shows her supercilious gob on the telly again....

Give it time......... [;)]

How truely wonderful[W]

Nora''s Back[Y]

That''ll be a welcome change from all the posters who never talk about football but are just obsessed by Delia Smith..........................

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

How truely wonderful[W]

Nora''s Back[Y]

That''ll be a welcome change from all the posters who never talk about football but are just obsessed by Delia Smith..........................

[/quote]

Maybe some of us don''t believe we will ever be a "football club" again until Smith buggers off. When you do eventually remove your head from your arse you might actually see the light.

NCFC belongs to the City of Norwich... not some old "has been" cook who has milked it all the way down to a 50 year old low. If you think there is anything to celebrate in that you are seriously deluded....

Call yourself a City fan? You''re simply a limpet.... firmly stuck to a rock with no ambition nor ability to to see any further than you can suck...... 

[quote user="Cluck the Purist...."][quote user="nutty nigel"]

How truely wonderful[W]

Nora''s Back[Y]

[/quote]

Maybe some of us don''t believe we will ever be a "football club" again until Smith buggers off. When you do eventually remove your head from your arse you might actually see the light.

NCFC belongs to the City of Norwich... not some old "has been" cook who has milked it all the way down to a 50 year old low. If you think there is anything to celebrate in that you are seriously deluded....

Call yourself a City fan? You''re simply a limpet.... firmly stuck to a rock with no ambition nor ability to to see any further than you can suck...... 

[/quote]

Which us is that then[:^)] Is it the ones that only ever post about Delia Smith[:^)] I reckon ypou''re probably right Nora[Y]

But what an obsession to have[:O]

When we were kids you lot were probably playing with a dolls house and toy cookers [A] while we were out playing football [H]

Being an old woman would be your excuse[W]

But your suitors[:-*][+o(]